Help match a tea to this profile!

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Jul 11th, '14, 08:58

Help match a tea to this profile!

by Poseidon » Jul 11th, '14, 08:58

Hey everyone! Ive been looking for a tea to have around when I want a little kick or something different. I havent ventured out into black teas other than B.S. bag tea so to the forums I come! :lol:

Anyway, with not having lots of funds these days (going back to school is $$$$) I cant afford to buy tons of tea to try. With that being said, I'm looking for a black, or something similar, tea that has chocolate characteristics to it. I want a rich delectable cup of tea with roasted chocolate and barley notes that doesnt need to be sweetened or "doctored up", as we say in 'tucky. Im sure something out there has these notes due to the characteristics of roasted tea. If you cant think of anything with these notes, what teas that you have had do? Ive only found 1 and it was an aged oolong that was roasted to perfection.

Jul 12th, '14, 02:55

Re: Help match a tea to this profile!

by hopeofdawn » Jul 12th, '14, 02:55

Mountain Tea Imperial Pearl. Definitely the most 'chocolatey' tea I've ever tasted (in a good way!).

http://www.mountaintea.com/collections/ ... rial-pearl

Jul 18th, '14, 09:50

by Alucard » Jul 18th, '14, 09:50

Jul 18th, '14, 11:22

by Evan Draper » Jul 18th, '14, 11:22

Depends on the chocolate. IMO various and sundry Chinese blacks taste of cocoa powder. Whereas it's the truly great full-fire charcoal-roasted wulongs that give you that dizzying dark chocolate bar. Hard to get the latter just right; I've rarely had an example of the former that didn't give me what I was looking for. Spend away!

Jul 18th, '14, 14:35

by Poseidon » Jul 18th, '14, 14:35

Evan Draper wrote:Depends on the chocolate. IMO various and sundry Chinese blacks taste of cocoa powder. Whereas it's the truly great full-fire charcoal-roasted wulongs that give you that dizzying dark chocolate bar. Hard to get the latter just right; I've rarely had an example of the former that didn't give me what I was looking for. Spend away!
Im in love with the chocolate that comes out in high fire oolongs but im looking for a tea thats easy to pick up. Ive seen a few on mountain tea Im going to pick up but I think a black tea with these characteristics would be quite tasty when the chill comes in a month or two. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the suggestions chatters!

Jul 18th, '14, 23:11

by entropyembrace » Jul 18th, '14, 23:11

I think Yunnan black teas are probably the way to go, and in the past I've enjoyed several from Yunnan Sourcing.

Cocoa is a fairly common characteristic of them, sometimes actual chocolate characters show up. Malty sweetness is really, really common in that genre of black tea, so you should be able to hit the barley notes you're looking for fairly easily :)

For specific recommendations I can't say, it's been a bit too long since I've ordered any.

+ Post Reply