Black tea alternatives

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Oct 23rd, '14, 10:43

Black tea alternatives

by teakaya » Oct 23rd, '14, 10:43

Hi everyone,

Glad I found this website. I am huge black tea drinker. From England UK.
I have a up of tea at every opportunity. I was wondering if there are any black tea alternatives, that are healthy and maybe better benefits. Or other black tea's?

I have milk and 2.5 sugars :/ and by the end of the day that builds up to an unhealthy intake of caffeine, super and milk..

Id love to find a tea i can use with milk and sugar but isn't as high in caffeine but still has a kick and nice taste to it.

Any suggestions would be great and appreciated.

Oct 23rd, '14, 11:02

Re: Black tea alternatives

by debunix » Oct 23rd, '14, 11:02

There are a lot of teas that can be drunk without milk and sugar: most of us here focus on teas that we drink 'straight'. Green teas, oolongs, white teas, puerhs, and non-Camellia sinensis herbal tisanes. Many of these can be infused multiple times, so that the caffeine hit is gentler because it's spread out.

Nov 5th, '14, 09:45

by MEversbergII » Nov 5th, '14, 09:45

Fujianese black teas are very fine on their own. That said, there's nothing inherently unhealthy about milk.

M.

Nov 5th, '14, 22:40

by Tead Off » Nov 5th, '14, 22:40

MEversbergII wrote:Fujianese black teas are very fine on their own. That said, there's nothing inherently unhealthy about milk.

M.
There has been some talk for years on the compatibility of tea/coffee with milk, healthwise. I'm too lazy to research it, but remember seeing some 'studies' or info, years ago. Perhaps one of our more scientific chat members can pipe up on this.

PS-maybe I should say 'incompatibility'.

Nov 6th, '14, 01:51

by kyarazen » Nov 6th, '14, 01:51

teakaya wrote:Hi everyone,

I have a up of tea at every opportunity. I was wondering if there are any black tea alternatives, that are healthy and maybe better benefits. Or other black tea's?

I have milk and 2.5 sugars :/ and by the end of the day that builds up to an unhealthy intake of caffeine, super and milk..

Id love to find a tea i can use with milk and sugar but isn't as high in caffeine but still has a kick and nice taste to it.

try green tea/matcha.. particularly matcha milk without sugar's pretty nice. cut down on the sugar.

black tea in too large quantities, low grade, neat without milk is a potential recipe for kidney stones due to the oxalate content.

Nov 6th, '14, 05:04

by Tead Off » Nov 6th, '14, 05:04

kyarazen wrote:
teakaya wrote:Hi everyone,

try green tea/matcha.. particularly matcha milk without sugar's pretty nice. cut down on the sugar.

black tea in too large quantities, low grade, neat without milk is a potential recipe for kidney stones due to the oxalate content.
What about the mix of tea or coffee with milk? I have heard many times that this is not a good, healthful combination. Any truth in it?

Nov 6th, '14, 11:18

by MEversbergII » Nov 6th, '14, 11:18

Compounds in the milk evidently bond to a number of the phytochemicals in tea and reduce their absorption, or reduce their bioactivity.

M.

Nov 6th, '14, 11:34

by .m. » Nov 6th, '14, 11:34

science aside, perhaps the main "problem" with adding milk and sugar is that it makes even bad cup of tea/coffee taste yummy, which can easily lead to an excessive consumption of caffeine.

Nov 6th, '14, 11:38

by .m. » Nov 6th, '14, 11:38

on the topic of sweet milky beverages, a strong roibos tea works pretty good as a substitute for black coffee/tea

Nov 6th, '14, 12:03
Vendor Member

by ethan » Nov 6th, '14, 12:03

"Science" should not override personal experience & common sense, perhaps. It is comforting when science supports our impressions, but when it does not, I would go w/ my experience over science.

A lot of milk & sugar = a lot of fat & carbs. Of course someone who drinks hot beverages all day long w/ milk & sugar might do well to switch to tea that needs only water: Good tea that one takes some time to savor, that one enjoys so much that he doesn't just chug it down. Of course, one should not drink too much of anything.

Extreme intake of liquids might make it hard for guts to do their work, breaking down food to assimilate vitamins, minerals, etc. Pairing some tea w/ a snack or dessert may be fine. That's different than gulping down drinks during a big meal.

Milk in tea stops the antioxidants' effects, but recent research claims antioxidants promote both good & bad things that are occurring in our bodies. I suggest that tea's best contribution to good health is that staying home for tea sessions makes us much less likely to go out & get run over by a drunk driver etc.

Scientists have said that chocolate does not cause pimples. A billion adolescents have "broken out" in horror a day after eating a big chocolate bar despite no "scientific" explanation for this. Fortunately, everyone agrees that tea does not give one pimples.

From our individual reactions we know what not to drink on an empty stomach or in excess; to drink enough plain water; etc. (Have a bellyache? Is one's sleep interrupted by trips to the toilet every hour? Is one's mouth & throat too dry?)

If my life is likely to be a little shorter because I drink a lot tea, I will keep drinking tea. Fortunately, 60 ounces of very good tea straight is much more satisfying to drink than 130 ounces of pedestrian tea w/ milk; so, we can avoid some fat & delay our heart attacks a year or so.

Nov 11th, '14, 07:31

by Guozhiliu1603 » Nov 11th, '14, 07:31

i think there are so-many teas, didn't required any sugar. but from that one is green tea, and i think its very good and healthy drink. when my friend was taking green tea from TeaNaga it work good and he loosed his weight in few of month. and i think its a good alternative for you.

+ Post Reply