Aug 17th, '15, 12:28
Posts: 224
Joined: Nov 24th, '13, 23:52

Do you put milk or cream into black tea?

by ClarG » Aug 17th, '15, 12:28

I usually put milk or cream into black tea unless it's a Darjeeling, or a really good Earl Grey. Sometimes I add in raw sugar like panela/piloncillo to it.

What about you?

Aug 17th, '15, 18:30
Posts: 17
Joined: Jul 8th, '15, 20:11

Re: Do you put milk or cream into black tea?

by Nu2Tea » Aug 17th, '15, 18:30

Nope. Just tea.

Maybe I'm a purist but to me, once you add anything to it, it masks the flavor. Tea is kind of delicate, so adding really anything to it, over powers it.

User avatar
Aug 17th, '15, 22:04
Posts: 1670
Joined: Sep 2nd, '13, 03:22
Location: in your tea closet
Contact: kyarazen

Re: Do you put milk or cream into black tea?

by kyarazen » Aug 17th, '15, 22:04

its quite a common beverage around here and the region to put evaporated or condensed milk into black tea, usually the lowest of grades, i.e. fannings, dusts, CTC. its not bad tasting actually

User avatar
Aug 17th, '15, 22:42
Posts: 1962
Joined: Apr 6th, '08, 19:02
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Contact: chamekke

Re: Do you put milk or cream into black tea?

by chamekke » Aug 17th, '15, 22:42

If it's your basic supermarket-carton black tea (fannings in a tea bag), I do indeed put milk in it.

If it's loose-leaf black (or red) tea, never.

My husband and in-laws are English, so I see quite a lot of the former. They like their tea "well mashed", so milk helps mellow it out.

Aug 18th, '15, 05:43
Posts: 721
Joined: Aug 4th, '14, 05:43

Re: Do you put milk or cream into black tea?

by Bok » Aug 18th, '15, 05:43

In my oppinion only bad or mediocre black tea needs milk to make it drinkeable. But I guess it’s less of a crime than to add milk to green tea :mrgreen:

Aug 18th, '15, 06:18
Posts: 157
Joined: Jan 13th, '13, 11:46

Re: Do you put milk or cream into black tea?

by thirst » Aug 18th, '15, 06:18

For me it’s not that I need milk to drink bad tea, but that I also buy »bad« black tea that I don’t drink otherwise to make milk tea. I don’t add things to teas other than those I buy specifically for making milk tea (though I’ve recently added some mint to gunpowder tea, Moroccan-style, because it was so hot here :mrgreen:)

User avatar
Aug 18th, '15, 11:39
Posts: 1670
Joined: Sep 2nd, '13, 03:22
Location: in your tea closet
Contact: kyarazen

Re: Do you put milk or cream into black tea?

by kyarazen » Aug 18th, '15, 11:39

Bok wrote:In my oppinion only bad or mediocre black tea needs milk to make it drinkeable. But I guess it’s less of a crime than to add milk to green tea :mrgreen:
matcha milk's not bad though.. give me a dose of tapioca pearls to go with that! :D

Aug 18th, '15, 14:44
Posts: 224
Joined: Nov 24th, '13, 23:52

Re: Do you put milk or cream into black tea?

by ClarG » Aug 18th, '15, 14:44

kyarazen wrote:its quite a common beverage around here and the region to put evaporated or condensed milk into black tea, usually the lowest of grades, i.e. fannings, dusts, CTC. its not bad tasting actually
Where are you located?

When I traveled/lived in various parts of the UK everyone put milk or cream into black tea even if it was good tea and not tea made with tea bags.

My Asian/Desi friends tell me it is like this in India as well.

User avatar
Aug 18th, '15, 23:35
Posts: 1670
Joined: Sep 2nd, '13, 03:22
Location: in your tea closet
Contact: kyarazen

Re: Do you put milk or cream into black tea?

by kyarazen » Aug 18th, '15, 23:35

ClarG wrote:
kyarazen wrote:its quite a common beverage around here and the region to put evaporated or condensed milk into black tea, usually the lowest of grades, i.e. fannings, dusts, CTC. its not bad tasting actually
Where are you located?

When I traveled/lived in various parts of the UK everyone put milk or cream into black tea even if it was good tea and not tea made with tea bags.

My Asian/Desi friends tell me it is like this in India as well.
singapore! former british colony.. so i guess thats where the influence was from

User avatar
Aug 30th, '15, 02:08
Posts: 99
Joined: Mar 28th, '14, 00:18

Re: Do you put milk or cream into black tea?

by pizzapotamus » Aug 30th, '15, 02:08

Yep, although don't worry I wouldn't add it to anything high quality. I'm mostly a japanese green tea drinker and didn't drink any black tea until I spent ~10 months in England. Now if I'm feeling a bit crappy I'll sometimes drink black tea with milk as a bit of a comfort beverage, not looking for nuance just something warm and fortifying.

User avatar
Aug 30th, '15, 05:44
Posts: 495
Joined: Jul 17th, '14, 05:38
Location: UK

Re: Do you put milk or cream into black tea?

by Rui » Aug 30th, '15, 05:44

No, perish the thought but I am very fussy which black teas I drink and that is very seldom too.

+ Post Reply