A new tea needed

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Oct 13th, '15, 19:11

A new tea needed

by teakaya » Oct 13th, '15, 19:11

Hi I drink tea all day everyday. Black tea (tetly tea) with quiet bit of milk and 2 or 3 sugars always leave my tea bag in. To keep it strong.
I have a minimum of 2-3 cups

Id like to find something new. Same softness and comfort and similar caffeine intake as black tea if possible and Ive been trying to lose weight and i do really well until I go on a cup of tea bender!

If i don't drink tea I'm fine and lose weight, I'm guessing its the milk and sugar thats not helping me,

So I'm also really curios to know if there are any black teas that are good for weight loss? I see a lot of these detox teas but I just love a cuppa with milk and sugar way to much.

Any suggestions on anythings smooth and gentle thats good with milk and sugar would be great.

Oct 13th, '15, 21:11

Re: a new tea needed

by entropyembrace » Oct 13th, '15, 21:11

You should try drinking a higher quality black tea that will taste good without milk and sugar. It's the excess calories from milk and sugar that make it hard to lose weight. There's no magic tea that will make those calories disappear if you keep putting milk and sugar in it.

A good place to start might be Adagio they have a fairly broad selection of black teas http://www.adagio.com/black/index.html Try some of the keemun, yunnan, or darjeeling teas. They should be great without milk and sugar.

Oct 14th, '15, 11:26

by NateHevens » Oct 14th, '15, 11:26

entropyembrace sort of alluded to it, but what makes any tea "good for weight loss" is that it's basically a calorie-free drink that, with so many different kinds and flavors, as long as what you're drinking is high quality, you shouldn't really need milk or sugar. That milk and sugar is what's defeating the point.

So tea is "good for weight loss" in the same way water is "good for weight loss"... you can drink a good amount of it and it won't weigh on you.

Also, if caffeine effects you (sadly, caffeine does very little for me), tea can also give you energy. I know people who prefer to get their caffeine from tea as opposed to coffee because coffee gives them the jitters and tea doesn't. It's the same kind of caffeine (caffeine is a singular chemical; there's only one kind, regardless of where it shows up in nature), so I don't really know why that is.

Tea will not burn any fat or do anything else like that. There's no such magic weight loss pill or drink or whatever, unfortunately. Burning fat is still as hard as eating and drinking healthier (not less; healthier), exercising, and stuff like that (stuff I don't do :P ). One day we might finally invent that magic pill, or food, or drink, or whatever, but we don't have it, yet.

Oct 15th, '15, 06:52

by .m. » Oct 15th, '15, 06:52

entropyembrace wrote:You should try drinking a higher quality black tea that will taste good without milk and sugar. It's the excess calories from milk and sugar that make it hard to lose weight. There's no magic tea that will make those calories disappear if you keep putting milk and sugar in it.

A good place to start might be Adagio they have a fairly broad selection of black teas http://www.adagio.com/black/index.html Try some of the keemun, yunnan, or darjeeling teas. They should be great without milk and sugar.
+1

another good place for black teas would be Upton
http://www.uptontea.com/store/toc.asp?p ... hild=Black
i second to try some darjeeling and keemun or yunnan teas.

Oct 17th, '15, 13:33

by PurplePotato » Oct 17th, '15, 13:33

NateHevens wrote:Burning fat is still as hard as eating and drinking healthier (not less; healthier)
+1

Sounds kinda paradoxical, but healthy foods (fruits, vegetables, whole grains...) tend to be lower in calorie density (and higher in water content). So adding more healthy foods to your plate can cause you to loose weight even though you are eating the same volume, as you will be eating less calories.

Oct 18th, '15, 12:19

Re: A new tea needed

by Frisbeehead » Oct 18th, '15, 12:19

Everyone else pretty much cleared everything.

I would try getting some good quality loose leaf black tea! When I first started drinking tea, it was Twining's Earl Grey with milk and sugar. I became interested in trying a better quality tea, so I started doing research on the web. In a few weeks I had my first gaiwan, sharing pitcher, cups, and some good loose leaf black tea (I think it was from Fujian? I don't remember).

Some vendors I suggest looking at to start with:
Adagio (obligatory)
Yunnan Sourcing (they have both a China-based site and a US-based one)
Teavivre
What-Cha

So give those a look, see if there is anything that interests you or sounds good, and look at the reviews. If you need teaware, do some research into that as well.

There are a ton of tea vendors on the internet, all appealing to different palates, types of drinkers, and growing regions. So feel free to explore the web and see if anything appeals to you.

Oct 22nd, '15, 19:38

by ClarG » Oct 22nd, '15, 19:38

Get some green tea, or oolong tea but make sure it's loose leaf.

Or try different types of black tea like Darjeeling, or Assam.

Oct 26th, '15, 04:22

by john.b » Oct 26th, '15, 04:22

I would agree with these other posts that better black tea is the way to go. You can still add milk and sugar to better tea but it's quite natural to get out of the habit of that naturally once you experience just how good plain black tea can be.

As for the sugar and milk causing someone to gain weight, sugar has 16 calories in a teaspoon, so if you were adding 2 teaspoons to 8 cups a day that's still 256 calories; a bit, but not that much. A can of Coke or Pepsi is 140-150. All the same, drink better tea and you'll not want to add the sugar or the milk, per lots of people's experience, and that drops out.

How to find your personal preference for this particular better tea is the trick. I recently tried a black tea that struck me as amazing, one of the best I've had in a few years of chasing teas, but that doesn't mean you would also love it (although I really can't imagine anyone wouldn't):

http://tea-side.com/red-and-black-tea/r ... old-trees/

Another down-side is that I've just recommended a Thai tea from a Thai vendor. Shipping isn't as much as you'd expect but that is getting out there (but that tea...). Here is another I've loved from this year:

http://what-cha.com/black-tea/indonesia ... black-tea/

or this one:

http://what-cha.com/black-tea/vietnam-w ... black-tea/

Strange I'm just mentioning South-East Asian teas right? Could be a coincidence, but those are some nice teas, so it might be I favor warmer climate grown blacks. Or maybe I've just never ran across the right Chinese style that's a close match. I'm ok with keemun / qui'mun, jin jun mei, and the others I've tried but they're not the same.

If you walk into the right tea shop they'll let you try some tea before you buy it, so it will match your own preference, for sure.

+ Post Reply