Dark Side Confession

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Jul 20th, '08, 12:01
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Jul 20th, '08, 12:01

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:Hehe, they never want to tell because the tea comes in great big 1 lb foil packs that say O O L O N G and a single chinese character
Thanks, GGU, it's always good to have a spy on the inside! Your description pretty much explains it all. Now if we knew someone who worked as a buyer for a Chinese restaurant suppy company, maybe we could find out where the bag comes from.

It seems unlikely that it would originate in Wuyi since those rock teas are by nature hard to grow and tend to run expensive.

Jul 20th, '08, 13:27

by geeber1 » Jul 20th, '08, 13:27

Thank you! That explains sooo much. When we eat Japanese, I usually ask what kind of green tea they've served & the answer is always "it come in big bag".
Henley, our waitress said "I tell you next time, you take this tea home." It was nice of her to give it to me but I don't think it will be as enjoyable at home as it was at the restaurant.

Now that I know it comes in industrial-size packages, I feel like a goofball :oops: for liking it so much since it couldn't have been the highest quality.

I'm going to try some Wuyis and the Oolong #40, thanks for the suggestions, Victoria and GeekGirl!

Jul 20th, '08, 13:35

by Salsero » Jul 20th, '08, 13:35

geeber1 wrote:Now that I know it comes in industrial-size packages, I feel like a goofball :oops: for liking it so much since it couldn't have been the highest quality.
I think a little reality check is the best antidote to snobbism. I often wonder what my opinion of all my teas would be if someone took all the labels off and made me brew blind. I'll bet I would even get mixed up between classes of tea, confusing some puerhs for oolongs or some black for Wuyi.

Jul 20th, '08, 13:37

by Geekgirl » Jul 20th, '08, 13:37

geeber1 wrote: Now that I know it comes in industrial-size packages, I feel like a goofball :oops: for liking it so much since it couldn't have been the highest quality.
Don't feel like a goofball! I think the leaves are of good quality, certainly better than what you get in many teabags. Working in that restaurant was my first introduction to tea that, when brewed, unfurled into actual whole leaves.

Jul 20th, '08, 13:42

by chamekke » Jul 20th, '08, 13:42

geeber1 wrote:
Thank you! That explains sooo much. When we eat Japanese, I usually ask what kind of green tea they've served & the answer is always "it come in big bag".
Henley, our waitress said "I tell you next time, you take this tea home." It was nice of her to give it to me but I don't think it will be as enjoyable at home as it was at the restaurant.

Now that I know it comes in industrial-size packages, I feel like a goofball :oops: for liking it so much since it couldn't have been the highest quality.
Well, I think tea is like wine. At home, I tend to buy wines that can be enjoyed on their own; but when I dine out, I look for a wine that complements the taste of the food.

Restaurant-quality oolong may not be the "best" oolong available, but it's often the perfect accompaniment for the meal you're eating. I always enjoy basic "tin-teapot oolong" when I have dim sum. I'm sure part of it is the ambiance, too.

Jul 20th, '08, 13:49

by Victoria » Jul 20th, '08, 13:49

Salsero wrote:It seems unlikely that it would originate in Wuyi since those rock teas are by nature hard to grow and tend to run expensive.
There is plenty of inexpensive wuyi out there, just look at all the wuyi diet teas.

We are just spoiled by all the good stuff.
:)

Jul 20th, '08, 15:18

by Rainy » Jul 20th, '08, 15:18

Rainbow coalition- hehehe :lol:

All I know is that I work in the door of that shop
and was sooooo amazed and confused by the
quaniTEA (hehe) of tea and teaware. Can't wait to go
back. They also have classes and a tea room.
Wow :shock:

You guys can check out my new pot on the Sunday Daily Cup.
Tea Chat rocks!
[/quote]

+ Post Reply