Blends or straights?

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Oct 13th, '08, 17:19

Blends or straights?

by caligatia » Oct 13th, '08, 17:19

We talked on today's TeaDay thread about getting some more conversations going, so I thought I'd start one.

Do you mostly drink blends, or are you a single-estate type?

I'm really interested in getting into the single estate thing. And I want to try teas from all the different regions of India and Sri Lanka. When I next have money for tea I'm going to order samples from the Temi estate in India's Sikkim region, because the character of the tea sounds like something I'd like. I'm also interested in tasting Georgian teas because of the book I just read, which says that most teas from there are hand- or village-made and are named after the teamakers themselves. I think that sounds really cool.

I created a spreadsheet for myself to keep track of what I've tried and what I'd like to try. Most of both lists are black teas.

My father's a wine snob. I wanna be a tea snob. :)

Oct 13th, '08, 17:31
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Oct 13th, '08, 17:31

I really like single estate teas - I am becoming more and more interested in Darjeelings. My interst became piqued with my first taste of Adagio Spring Darjeeling; I had never tasted a FF before and I love the greeness of this one.
It really started me on a Darjeeling path, especially looking at fuller leaf offerings.

I still am at a loss with all the abreviations, but I'm learning.

Thanks for starting this topic!!

Oct 13th, '08, 17:36

by edkrueger » Oct 13th, '08, 17:36

Strangely, you entirely missed the country that produces the best black teas: China. However, here are some single estate recommendations in India:

Darjeeling:
1: Margaret's Hope
2: Makibari

Nilgiri:
1: Nonsuch [my favorite Indian tea]
2: Korakundah

You can find 3 out of 4 here: https://www.thepathoftea.com/tea_shop.htm

And, since I can't resist really good tea.
China:
http://www.sevencups.com/tea_shop/produ ... 298&page=1

Oct 13th, '08, 17:39

by edkrueger » Oct 13th, '08, 17:39

Abbreviations are really simple [though stupid, why can't they just use numbers?]: the more letters the better grade leaves. Note that they aren't rated by taste, but by fullness of leaf. I've had some pretty good BOPs and a few FTGFOPs that weren't too impressive.

Oct 13th, '08, 17:42

by kymidwife » Oct 13th, '08, 17:42

I have several single estate Darjeelings on the way from TeaSource... can't wait! Blends are ok for iced tea, and I like Irish Breakfast, and Russian Caravan, etc. But I much prefer single estate with a clear and specific taste profile.

I got samples of Castleton Moonlight 2nd flush and Risheeat Flowery and fell in LOVE. And then the Oooh Darjeeling from Adagio, yummm. I missed the spring Darjeeling and am waiting impatiently for it to return. The Adagio Darjeeling #1 is very nice as well... much preferred over #22 for my own personal tastes.

I haven't tried any Nilgiris, but am anxious to do so. I enjoy the Assams pretty well... Ceylon is just ok for me... Yunnan Gold Tips were delicious... Keemun I enjoyed very much although I have to be in the mood for the smokiness... and Lapsang is interesting but not something I want often.

Long Live Darjeeling!

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Oct 13th, '08, 18:00

by Riene » Oct 13th, '08, 18:00

I enjoy Assam, Nilgiri, and Ceylon teas, but it's been a while since I've had true estate teas. At this point I mainly drink blends, as about the only time I have for tea is that wonderful first cup or two in the morning.

Golden Monkey and Yunnan Gold are my two current favorites.
:D
Although my neighbors are all barbarians,
And you, you are a thousand miles away,
There are always two cups on my table.
--Tang Dynasty

Oct 13th, '08, 18:03

by Victoria » Oct 13th, '08, 18:03

kymidwife wrote:I have several single estate Darjeelings on the way from TeaSource... can't wait!
You ordered from TeaSource and didn't get the Handmade Nilgiri???? Tsk, tsk!!
Next time!!!!

The one I had this morning - The Glenburn Estate Wiry Vintage is from TeaSource too, another favorite! Did you get that one at least???
:twisted:

Oct 13th, '08, 18:14

by Wosret » Oct 13th, '08, 18:14

I have yet to find a single-estate black tea that is strong enough for my breakfast tea needs, or is good with milk. My current English Breakfast tea is an organic blend of Assam and China black from The Tea Emporium, and it's lovely and rich.

I've had Margaret's Hope before, but I think I'd like it more now that I know how to brew it properly. My current stash of single-estate Darjeeling is from Soom and it's first flush. Ooh la la! When brewed properly, it's very sweet and even tastes a little like candy. There's a description here about the estate. Nifty!

Oct 13th, '08, 18:15

by caligatia » Oct 13th, '08, 18:15

Ed, that lapsang bohea looks really good. Hello, wishlist.

I didn't mention China because I haven't liked the few Chinese blacks I've had. Well, I did love one -- golden monkey. I tried a couple of others, but they didn't do anything for me. The Indian and Ceylon teas I've had seems to be much richer in taste.

I do like lapsang souchong, but of the three I've tried I liked a Formosa one the best. I love that stuff. It's become my comfort tea when I'm feeling down.

I am, however, very open to ideas for new things to try!

Question: do Chinese teas do the single estate thing? What about flushes? I'm very curious.

Oct 13th, '08, 18:20

by Victoria » Oct 13th, '08, 18:20

Speaking of Bohea - I would love to take this opportunity to plug Tao of Tea's Limited Edition Bohea - It is really great. I meant to do a review here but I never got around to it. It is very smooth with just a slight hint of smokiness.
And of course you get the cute little LE tin.

Oct 13th, '08, 18:48

by edkrueger » Oct 13th, '08, 18:48

Hmm... I might try that, but I fear it because of the (USDA Organic) label and the fancy tin. This scare me too:
A water temperature of 180 to 200 F is sufficient to bring the rich character of the leaf. Some recommend water at a full, rolling boil, but in our opinion boiling reduces the oxygen content in good water and gives the tea a "flatter" taste as opposed to a more "lively" taste from slightly cooler water.

Oct 13th, '08, 20:18

by Cinnamon Kitty » Oct 13th, '08, 20:18

Monk's Blend (Organic) from the New Mexico Tea Company is one of my favorite black teas. It is a blend of Assam, Darjeeling, Nilgiri, and Keemun that tastes fantastic. I've tried a few single estate black teas, but none of them tasted as good as the blend.

Oct 13th, '08, 21:55

by Victoria » Oct 13th, '08, 21:55

edkrueger wrote:Hmm... I might try that, but I fear it because of the (USDA Organic) label and the fancy tin. This scare me too:
A water temperature of 180 to 200 F is sufficient to bring the rich character of the leaf. Some recommend water at a full, rolling boil, but in our opinion boiling reduces the oxygen content in good water and gives the tea a "flatter" taste as opposed to a more "lively" taste from slightly cooler water.
Heh, I never follow directions. I did it 3 mins just off boil and it was great.

Oct 13th, '08, 22:10

by kymidwife » Oct 13th, '08, 22:10

Victoria wrote:
kymidwife wrote:I have several single estate Darjeelings on the way from TeaSource... can't wait!
You ordered from TeaSource and didn't get the Handmade Nilgiri???? Tsk, tsk!!
Next time!!!!

The one I had this morning - The Glenburn Estate Wiry Vintage is from TeaSource too, another favorite! Did you get that one at least???
:twisted:
OK I said TeaSource, but I meant Tea Emporium. :roll:

Here's what I have on the way:

Badamtam (tippy clonal ftgfop-1) - Autumn 07
1st Flush 2008 - Pussimbing (ftgfop-1 / Organic)
Castleton (Moonlight) 2nd Flush 2008
Risheehat (flowery/sftgfop-1clonal) DJ-145 - 2nd Flush 08
1st Flush 2008 - Jungpana (upper/ftgfop-1)
1st Flush 2008 -Gopaldhara (ftgfop-1 clonal)

Can't waittttt...

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Oct 13th, '08, 22:40

by Victoria » Oct 13th, '08, 22:40

Oh, I'm not familiar with that company.
I did have a Castleton Moonlight sample
from Sal that was very good.

I have been very pleased with TeaSource
and Nilgiri teas in general.

+ Post Reply