08 2nd flushes

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Dec 6th, '08, 11:35

08 2nd flushes

by scotty X » Dec 6th, '08, 11:35

i'm trying to sound out general impressions of this year's crop. i'm trying to find out if my experience (with Risheehat, Castleton, and Sungma) can be generalized to the year, or if it is specific to these three teas, or if, when i relate them to previous 2nd flush experiences, my memory is just playing tricks on me.

so, after playing with parameters for a few weeks, i have found that they are not as naturally earthy-spicy, mildly astringent, and heady-aromatic as 2nd flushes of years past. they do hit those notes, but only if i use a lot more leaf than i normally would and essentially over-steep them (5-7 minutes), which of course renders them a bit imbalanced. they become a hybrid of a good nilgiri, a first flush, and a wiry-tippy ceylon, thus superseding the entire concept of a 2FD, which, to my mind, is a beautiful balance.

on the other hand, they do seem to be more floral and fruity, especially in the finish, than the other 2nd flushes that linger in my memory.

don't get me wrong, i'm far from dissatisfied with these teas -- i'm just curious if this is a trend anyone else has noticed with these teas and/or teas from other estates - or even if this is indicative of a trend in the way darjeelings have been produced and processed in the past few years. after all, my memory could just be playing tricks on me...

Dec 6th, '08, 12:40

by Lord Brown » Dec 6th, '08, 12:40

I've definitely noticed a trend toward the more delicate and fruity in 2nd Flushes of this year. Castleton actually marketed a 2FD with a "muscatel" designation this year, which would have been simply a status quo for 2FDs in past years. Perhaps the estates have noticed an increased consumer interest in the "lighter and brighter" teas as of late? Arya Estate's Aroma offering for the 2F of '08 embodied all the notes and aromas typical of a first rate SF. Regardless, I am hopeful that the '09 harvest will bring back a more orthodox 2FD with the flavors and aromas to which I am more accustomed.

+ Post Reply