TGFOP-1

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Dec 29th, '08, 06:34

TGFOP-1

by Synaesthete » Dec 29th, '08, 06:34

Today, I bought 50g of Thiashola Nilgiri TGFOP-1 from a local tea shop. I wasn't impressed by the taste, and when I finished brewing, I noticed that the leaves were mostly broken, and contained a huge number of stems.

Should I return it, or am I completely misunderstanding what TGFOP-1 means?

Photos:

http://kain.tenkeimedia.com/dry.jpg
http://kain.tenkeimedia.com/wet.jpg

Sorry to make this my first post. :( I've been lurking for a while, and wanted to introduce myself on a lighter note. Thanks for your help though!

Dec 29th, '08, 09:08

by omegapd » Dec 29th, '08, 09:08

That should mean Tippy Golden Flowery Orange Pekoe first picking (I think). Now if the F is a B that would mean Broken OP.

Welcome to the forum! If you don't like it, try and return it. See how much the local shop likes its customers and how they act with a complaint. :wink:

EW

Dec 29th, '08, 10:53
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Dec 29th, '08, 10:53

Welcome to TeaChat!

Often the grading is rather subjective and left to the discretion of a grower or broker or even unscrupulous vendors. Do not take it as gospel. It is also not an indication of how a tea will taste, more of the quality of the leaf's appearance. Also, breakage will occur in transit, etc.

I have had some OP or in some cases even BOP that tasted better than the highest quality offerings.

That said, if you have tried brewing this a few times, and it is not singing in the cup for you, move on to another tea. But sometimes I like the challenge of finding the sweet spot, but some teas will not have one.

+ Post Reply