Keemum Concerto

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Jan 10th, '09, 11:42

Keemum Concerto

by shardy53 » Jan 10th, '09, 11:42

I tried this tea this morning and it was rather disappointing to me. I can't describe exactly what was wrong with it, but it tasted like something was missing. Kind of like tasting food without salt. The after taste was not very pleasant either. Maybe I am comparing everything to the Irish Breakfast tea, and that is probably a mistake.

Steve

Jan 10th, '09, 12:10

Re: Keemum Concerto

by Shelob » Jan 10th, '09, 12:10

shardy53 wrote:I tried this tea this morning and it was rather disappointing to me. I can't describe exactly what was wrong with it, but it tasted like something was missing. Kind of like tasting food without salt. The after taste was not very pleasant either. Maybe I am comparing everything to the Irish Breakfast tea, and that is probably a mistake.

Steve
Hi Steve,
Yes, I agree probably a mistake comparing to obviously your fav black?
How are your brewing it, English style?

I really like it, but Ibrew western... it is definately all a matter of opinion and different strokes for different folks. Try it different ways and you just may get it to perform/sing for you! BTW, I am basically a newbie so my info is somewhat not too reliable, altho' I have found out from this forum to keep trying, don't give up and see what others are doing. However, what you do for your tastes, if it works, it is right for YOU!

With most blacks, I prefer shorter and multiple steeps, but then I am a green gal, sooooo... there ya go!

Have fun w/TeaChat, and check out TeaDay, maybe you already have!
Have a good one, Skye 8)
Have a FAB TeaDay Everyone!

Jan 10th, '09, 12:13
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jan 10th, '09, 12:13

Try using a little more leaf, maybe.

Assam and Keemun should be quite different, very little similar, IMO. It is funny, Keemun is most likely my fave black, and a long time bread and butter black for me. Assam on the other hand has never found favor with my palate.

This keeps some balance in the supply and demand world in which we live.

Jan 10th, '09, 13:25

by Beidao » Jan 10th, '09, 13:25

I like to brew my Keemun in gaiwan with 90 C water, 20-30 seconds. I prefer Keemun with chocolate nuances. A tip: If you've tasted one Keemun and didn't like it, try some more. "Keemun" can be quite different from each other.
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

Jan 10th, '09, 14:02

by Chip » Jan 10th, '09, 14:02

Beidao wrote:I like to brew my Keemun in gaiwan with 90 C water, 20-30 seconds. I prefer Keemun with chocolate nuances. A tip: If you've tasted one Keemun and didn't like it, try some more. "Keemun" can be quite different from each other.
Yeah, Keemun is extremely variable. Qimen County is the home of Keemun, but it is now also produced in many other areas (just check out Upton's). This greatly complicates sourcing.

I am sure many Keemun are not true Keemun and not from Qimen, yet sold as such. A few years back, this frustrated me so much that I had to give up Keemun for a while.

There is a lot of inferior Keemun on the market today. But there are some great ones as well, unfortunately, you have to sample them to find out, and then hope the vendor does not bait and switch when you reorder.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jan 10th, '09, 16:42

by Salsero » Jan 10th, '09, 16:42

The Keemum probably has a a lot less astringency (bite or briskness) than you are used to in your Irish Breakfast, and this might make it seem flat. But it will also have a little different flavor profile.

Jan 12th, '09, 15:03
Scrolling: fixed

by Intuit » Jan 12th, '09, 15:03

It's the 'winey' or smokey aftertaste and lack of malty 'body' that is bothering you. Some keemuns have more of this aftertaste than others.

The first several 'no-name', relatively inexpensive Keemuns I purchased, many years ago, had a very mild aftertaste and were pleasantly 'fruity'. I had a vendor whom I trusted and supplied relatively reproducible tea batches, season to season.

Then I got curious and purchased 'better' grades from elsewhere. More than a few of these varietals featured a very characteristic smoky-winey note and a bitter aftertaste that I didn't particularly enjoy at the time. A few tasted 'thin' or 'off', and I suspect it was because some of these samples were not very fresh. Or it wasn't Keemun (Anhui Keemun-like teas).

Another factor: palate conditioning that favored the India/Ceylon teas that I grew up with and favored for my years.

That curbed my interest in Keemun varietals for years.

I had better luck a few years ago trying various intermediate grade Keemuns that were closer to my original purchases - nice floral (orchid like) sweetness with very little bite or smokeyness. I began to enjoy them again.

Last couple of Keemuns I bought were very smokey and not very sweet or floral - more like a dry Russian Caravan than desired. Again, I found myself avoiding Keemuns, at least not without being able to smell and sample them at a teashop before purchase.

I would keep an eye out for product reviews and hope for the best...

+ Post Reply