Sun Brewed?

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Jan 29th, '09, 23:25

by Riene » Jan 29th, '09, 23:25

I've sun-brewed black tea off and on for years, never had a problem with it. We have a big gallon glass jar, would toss in a handful of quart-sized Luzianne tea bags and fill it with well water, screw the lid on tightly, and leave it in the sun until dinner.

I've tried it as recently as last autumn, though, and didn't care for the taste anymore. Though I still like iced tea (Luzianne bags) with dinner, I thought the sun-tea tasted odd, almost too soft, or too sweet, if that makes sense.

...but then again, I think my full-leaf Adagio black teas are spoiling me for anything else. :?

Jan 29th, '09, 23:34

by woozl » Jan 29th, '09, 23:34

Ah a chemist?
What about milk? (I am not a fan)
They say add the tea to the milk.
Because it bonds ....
“Take some more tea,” the March Hare said to Alice, very earnestly.
“I’ve had nothing yet,” Alice replied in an offended tone: “so I ca’n’t take more.”
“You mean you ca’n’t take less,” said the Hatter: “it’s very easy to take more than nothing.”

Jan 30th, '09, 00:45
Scrolling: fixed

Bingo!

by Intuit » Jan 30th, '09, 00:45

See my previous post on milk protein denaturation and complexation of tea polyphenols.

Feb 11th, '09, 11:43

Cold brew...

by Susana » Feb 11th, '09, 11:43

I am really into the cold brew method. I like to do a quick rinse to help open up the leaves. Once I dump the hot water I add cold water and put it in the fridge.

Some of my favorites are Jade Oolong(with a rinse), Silver Needle (no rinse) and Wuyi (with a rinse). Oh and sencha is amazing! I find that cold brew gives you such a delicate infusion. I usually decant and add more water throughout the day. If you open my fridge you can usually find a glass pitcher with little leaves floating around!

I always make sun tea during the summer. I was camping and made Blueberry Rooibos and it came out amazing! I also make iced tea that way. I let it sit in my window while I am at work. :D

+ Post Reply