Are all black teas similar?

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Feb 6th, '09, 19:09

Are all black teas similar?

by nemesis256 » Feb 6th, '09, 19:09

I've tried a few black teas now and I don't find much of a difference in taste between them. I can't tell the difference between Irish and English breakfast. I've also tried Ceylon (well sorta, through a flavored tea) and it was very similar. This morning I tried Golden Monkey, and it tastes like the others but not as strong (up to now I like it just for that reason). So are they all very similar or am I just picking the wrong ones?

Feb 6th, '09, 19:20
Location: the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

by Sydney » Feb 6th, '09, 19:20

There is definitely variation among different black teas, although it can take some sampling and palate-training to dial it in.

Feb 6th, '09, 20:32

by shardy53 » Feb 6th, '09, 20:32

You should be able to tell a Keemum from an Assam from a Ceylon, from a Darjeeling, from a Yunnan after a few tastes. Then you will begin to learn the difference between the Estates and then the first and second flush if you try them enough. It just depends how deep you go. The first thing to do is to figure out what you like and don't like.

Try these in the sample size tins: Assam Melody, Keemum Concerto, Yunnan Gold, Darjeeling #22, and Ceylon Sonata. These are all very different and you will learn quickly what you don't like.

The Irish and English Breakfast teas are blends so they will have characteristics of more than one tea.

Cheers,
Steve

Feb 8th, '09, 12:35

by silvermage2000 » Feb 8th, '09, 12:35

I would think so. Everyone though I haven't had many different ones. Probley the best thing to do would be to try a assortment. And try aleast a few cups of each.
My name i's ashley I am a female and 21 years old.

Feb 10th, '09, 01:16

by JasonC » Feb 10th, '09, 01:16

I agree with shardy53's advise. Great suggestions. I've had all of those teas save one, and that's the keemun concerto, however, I love the Keemun rhapsody. :) You might be a little 'tone deaf' at first, but you should notice quite a difference between say a Keemun (chocolate note with a hint of smoke) and the Darjeeling #22 ( look for a pronounced grape note on this one ). The way these teas are made is also different, as far as processing, which will separate them even more than just the areas in the world that they are harvested from.

You might also want to try a bit of an exercise and sample the teas at various levels during the steep. I use a small 1oz shot glass when I do this.. You might be able to detect different flavors at different brewing intervals. It's something to try. It also helps me dial in exactly how long I want to brew a particular tea. I usually figure out my 'brewing formula' on a particular black and then I can easily repeat that in the future. After sampling the teas listed I can easily tell them apart. Two that taste very similar to me are the Yunnan Gold, and Golden Spring, I'll have to revisit those.. :)

Good luck on your journey, it's a great ride!

--Jason

Feb 10th, '09, 02:53

Re: Are all black teas similar?

by Jack_teachat » Feb 10th, '09, 02:53

nemesis256 wrote:I've tried a few black teas now and I don't find much of a difference in taste between them. I can't tell the difference between Irish and English breakfast. I've also tried Ceylon (well sorta, through a flavored tea) and it was very similar. This morning I tried Golden Monkey, and it tastes like the others but not as strong (up to now I like it just for that reason). So are they all very similar or am I just picking the wrong ones?
Are you using good water? I have found that hard tap water can often cause different teas to taste similar and flat. If so buy a Britta! :D

Feb 21st, '09, 04:22

by Eugene » Feb 21st, '09, 04:22

There is a difference in the taste in black tea, but brewing also matters, how you make it. You need to detect different flavors in brewing process itself. Shardy53's is correct do follow her advice, and I too think difference between the Estates matters - soil, climate, etc brings out a big difference in the taste of the teas.

Feb 21st, '09, 12:08
Scrolling: scrolling

by hooksie » Feb 21st, '09, 12:08

I used to think so a couple months ago when I first started drinking loose leaf, but over time you will start to notice the variation. :)

Feb 21st, '09, 20:37

by joelbct » Feb 21st, '09, 20:37

That question is sort of like a Zen koan, come to think of it...

In a sense, yes, Black Tea's are by definition all similar, they are all more or less fully-oxidized... but in another sense, there is a huge amount of variety within the 'black tea' category; variety in strain, locale of origin, processing techniques, quality, flavor profile, tannin-content, tippy-ness, mass market vs 'specialty' grade, estate vs blend, teabag dust vs loose leaf, etc...

While one's tea-palate (like a muscle) develops over months and years of drinking, even a beginner should be able to discern a huge difference, for instance, between a true Yunnan Gold and a C. assamica-heavy Indian Tea, or between a smokey Keemun and a First Flush Darjeeling, or a Lipton teabag and a properly-brewed, high-end loose-leaf, etc, etc...

Here is a paper I pieced together a couple years back, a good intro to the topic of Tea:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/twccwp

Good luck!

Mar 1st, '09, 19:14

by tjausti » Mar 1st, '09, 19:14

I found using spring water (45 CENTS PER GALLON) from walmart made the tea taste 1000 times better than using tap water.

just my .02

Mar 3rd, '09, 11:40

by teacast » Mar 3rd, '09, 11:40

I found using spring water (45 CENTS PER GALLON) from walmart made the tea taste 1000 times better than using tap water.

just my .02
Totally agree!! Filtered water makes an amazing difference IMO. It is a huge difference, tap is awful.

Mar 27th, '09, 00:23

by bsteele » Mar 27th, '09, 00:23

shardy53, great recommendations. I bought those very teas to step into the black realm and am very, very happy with that selection. Quite the nice black tea tour.

Mar 27th, '09, 04:07

by Victoria » Mar 27th, '09, 04:07

I think the differences are not as distinct among the ones you listed. Especially if you are brewing perhaps a bit too long. I know Adagio says contrary, but I never go over 3 minutes on the first steep.

Some of the most different would be the Darjeelings.

Also - When I discovered Yunnan Gold, wow! Now that was very different!

Mar 27th, '09, 07:41

by tjausti » Mar 27th, '09, 07:41

I started out following instructions from adagio (1 tsp tea, 5 minutes) it came fairly bitter and astringent. after poking around here I was advised that more tea and less time came out much smoother and sweeter. 2 heaping tea spoons (approx 4.5 grams) for 2:30-3:00 is my preference (for the ingenuitea, 14oz of water)

+ Post Reply