Tipping and Takeout

Miscellaneous Discussion. Any topics that don't fit in other areas of the forum.

Tipping for Takeout

>20%
No votes
20%
18%
15%
18%
10%
9%
5%
9%
Never
45%

Total votes: 11

Apr 10th, '10, 02:14

Tipping and Takeout

by beachape » Apr 10th, '10, 02:14

Totally Random and Unrelated to tea...

Do you tip for take-out (not delivery) from a sit-down restaurant? It bothers me because I've been picking up a lot of take out for my girlfriend and I'm really not sure if I should be tipping or not...and I don't have a ton of money to be throwing away (...need to put it in the tea bank).

Previously I assumed that you didn't need to tip for takeout, but I've been seeing a lot more "take out tip" containers, and "tip" lines on credit receipts for takeout. Perhaps they were always there and I was just oblivious.

Apr 10th, '10, 02:29

Re: Tipping and Takeout

by Dresden » Apr 10th, '10, 02:29

It's not tipping I believe in. It's over-tipping. - Vincent "Vinnie" Antonelli
I generally tip 15% minimum in any situation (unless service was really lousy). Most of the time If I'm sitting down for a meal with decent service I won't go less than 20%.

Apr 10th, '10, 07:30

by iannon » Apr 10th, '10, 07:30

sorta depends on amount for me..but normally yes I do tip something for takeout. Lots of places its the bartender or a desginated server that puts the takeout orders together. they work off tips so I do Tip for their time in puting it together for me.

Apr 10th, '10, 11:38

by Dresden » Apr 10th, '10, 11:38

iannon wrote:sorta depends on amount for me..but normally yes I do tip something for takeout. Lots of places its the bartender or a desginated server that puts the takeout orders together. they work off tips so I do Tip for their time in puting it together for me.
Not to mention that the cooks often get a percentage of the tips earned.

Apr 10th, '10, 11:39
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Apr 10th, '10, 11:39

Interesting ... hmmm.

Apr 10th, '10, 14:49

by LauraW » Apr 10th, '10, 14:49

Having been a server/bartender at the same restaurant for 3 years now (off and on), I can say that tipping on to-go orders is rare. I never expect anything, as such I'm pleasantly surprised when I get left something. Now, if you have a lot of special things in the order (i.e. you get 15 people's orders separated in different bags and labeled so you don't have to search for it later), then it's greatly appreciated. I had that happen once, just once, in my 4 years of foodservice.

That being said, normally what does get left is a dollar or two, but not usually a percentage of the amount (I've had that happen a few times, but I can count the number on one hand).

Hope that helps!

+ Post Reply