Things that temporarily damage your taste

For general/other topics related to tea.

Aug 6th, '14, 05:21

Re: Things that temporarily damage your taste

by Bok » Aug 6th, '14, 05:21

I think it also depends on what kind of tea you drink! The better and more expensive the tea the less I want to risk any interference with food.

But I think the random English-whatever-Earl-black tea is probably only drinkable if you eat some cookies first :mrgreen:

Aug 6th, '14, 10:55

by Evan Draper » Aug 6th, '14, 10:55

I have heard that one notable tea character deliberately employs some kind of spread to impair taste and focus on "qi" - tartex?

Aug 6th, '14, 11:30
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Aug 6th, '14, 11:30

I found that the ginger, that I sometimes drink with hot or cold water, neutralizes my tongue for a couple of hours, while peppermint (et similia) both my sense of smell and taste.

Aug 13th, '14, 22:17

by kyarazen » Aug 13th, '14, 22:17

durian! ooo lovely stuff. but having a refined tea after that is a no-go

Aug 14th, '14, 11:06
Vendor Member

by ethan » Aug 14th, '14, 11:06

Durian, when perfect, provides so much wonderful, powerful, sensation; I don't think anything can compete immediately after eating it. I'd advise spending an hour or so just relishing its unique effects & aftertaste.

In Thailand in March & April this year, I found none that was good. When the crop is poor, I think the good durian gets shipped to Japan & Singapore, Kyarzen.

Aug 14th, '14, 13:04

by kyarazen » Aug 14th, '14, 13:04

ethan wrote:Durian, when perfect, provides so much wonderful, powerful, sensation; I don't think anything can compete immediately after eating it. I'd advise spending an hour or so just relishing its unique effects & aftertaste.

In Thailand in March & April this year, I found none that was good. When the crop is poor, I think the good durian gets shipped to Japan & Singapore, Kyarzen.
not very much thai durian comes to singapore, instead most of thai durian makes its way to china and many other places. although i never really liked the thai mon-thong.. i regret to say that i've never had the chance to purchase nor taste the real kanyao (super expensive too!). selling durian's good money now.when i went up to malaysia recently, took a look at a few plantations/roadside stalls, they dont have anything good for sale, everything goes into the trucks of the wholesaler/re-exporters where better money can be made.

i'm quite a durian monster myself, and had developed an extremely acquired taste for it that i only eat durians that ripen to completion before falling off the tree. 99.9% of all other durians sold are harvested slightly unripe (90%), where after export, it can be kept for a few days for it to ripen on its own. the latter retains a lot of moisture, the aroma is weak, and the texture is always off.

these are one of the best mao shan wangs i had this season.. people said i was crazy to be willing to pay $25-$30/kilogram.. but the divine taste! durian that naturally fell in the night, picked off the ground in the morning, and then sped on a truck over a distance of 500km to singapore into my hands at 6pm in the evening.. one bite.. and.. suddenly i realize i love durian so much much much more than my most expensive pu-erh tea.. :lol: :lol:

Nov 8th, '14, 13:02

by Jayaratna » Nov 8th, '14, 13:02

Durians! When I first met a durian, it was sitting next to me while being shaken on and off on a car after a night at the airport. The time spent together in the hot weather didn't make it exactly inviting when later I was offered to try it...

Back on topic: tea itself. I try to have a different tea everyday (I keep switching between two or three), because when I drink the same tea for, say, three days, I get used to the flavour and don't feel it anymore. I think this is particularly true for oolongs.

A

Dec 28th, '14, 02:55

by bagua7 » Dec 28th, '14, 02:55

Durian monster ( :lol: ),

So you are in Singapore, I guess you are very familiar with this, right?

...and Durian Pengat. ;)

Jun 3rd, '15, 05:53
Location: Lat: N 59º 37' 3.79" Long: E 17º 49' 35.49" or thereabouts

by sriracha » Jun 3rd, '15, 05:53

Evan Draper wrote:I have heard that one notable tea character deliberately employs some kind of spread to impair taste and focus on "qi" - tartex?
Or Vegemite(Marmite) perhaps?

+ Post Reply