Why did my review get deleted?

We're always open to a little constructive criticism.

Aug 2nd, '05, 15:41

by Mike B » Aug 2nd, '05, 15:41

Surely you would not enter an eating establishment where you had to step over animal waste and dodge flies in order to still dine.
I don't know. Before I gave up on shellfish I once ate the best crabs and corn-on-the-cob from a place where even the flies were all, "Uh, I think I'll pass."

Different strokes, yo.

Aug 2nd, '05, 15:46

by TeaNut » Aug 2nd, '05, 15:46

Well, you are correct regarding "different strokes" that's for sure.

But the bottom line, for me, is that it was WRONG to strike my review. It was honest, fair and true. Becoming redundant to be sure: what is the point of a review/critique if they all have to be flattering and complimentary?

TN

Aug 2nd, '05, 17:05

by chris » Aug 2nd, '05, 17:05

TeaNut--

Please don't mind Mike B.... he hasn't been his usual "chipper" self ever since his air-conditioner filed for a divorce. All he ever talks about now is "shellfish" this and "heat wave" that, etc, etc, etc..

Well, you've won a small victory! You've acheived your goal of getting some attention for your review. While the world may never know exactly which tearoom you were referring to, tea aficianados everywhere will be on the lookout for some clandestine "waste" upon the entrance their favorite tea establishments.

All the best,

Chris
Adagio Maestro

Aug 2nd, '05, 18:43

by TeaNut » Aug 2nd, '05, 18:43

Hmmm. Not sure how to take that.

My "goal" seems to have been lost. If I had wanted attention for my review I would have named the tea establishment.

I would like to have made an impression regarding posts being removed. I missed.

TeaNut

Aug 2nd, '05, 18:46

by Mike B » Aug 2nd, '05, 18:46

There's always next summer...

Aug 2nd, '05, 18:53
Adagio

by ilya » Aug 2nd, '05, 18:53

TeaNut,

I would disagree that your point was missed. Ideally everyone would be mature and take all reviews for what they are: other people's opinions. However, our experience tells us that that is not the case. And because of that experience, we have made the decision to remove a small percentage of reviews in order to prevent tearooms from a) asking to be removed, and b) having their lawyers send us scary letters.

Don't feel that just because we are not implimenting your suggestion, we do not take your point.

Aug 3rd, '05, 11:01

by jzero » Aug 3rd, '05, 11:01

TeaNut wrote: My "goal" seems to have been lost.
Your goal was achieved - you wanted to know why the review was removed, and it was explained why. Call it a "house rule" but just as you cannot really offer a review a movie based on the poster or trailer, you reall cannot offer a review of a restaurant based on the front door.

Chris and Ilya also have a responsibility to fairness ahead of free speech. I think we all agree that your review was honest and legitimate, but if your review based solely on the exterior is allowed to stand, than all other similar reviews must be allowed to stand, be they "Nice awning - probably one of the best tearooms in the state!" or "Dog poo on the doorstep - I would not set foot in here if you paid me."

The system will never be perfect, you just do the best you can.
They Call Me Jzero

Aug 3rd, '05, 12:44

by Daniel S » Aug 3rd, '05, 12:44

teanut - I'm all for seeing the negative reviews as well as the positive, but your review is a non-review. You didn't go inside, didn't sample the tea, didn't experience the service of the staff. You rated negatively based on something outside of the establishment. That is not a review. You could mention it had you actually gone inside and had some tea. Same if you were mentioning the parking lot/sidewalk conditions in front of the building. "The parking lot has a few potholes and lots of cracks - WORST TEAROOM EVAR!!!111" <-- wouldn't be a fair review if you never went inside.

Aug 3rd, '05, 15:03

by teaspoon » Aug 3rd, '05, 15:03

Wow... I step away from the TeaChat for a few days and look what happens... we get trolls.

Message-board manners aside, it seems to me that the complaint was acknowledged and answered. As jzero said, call it a "house rule" if you will, call it unfair, call it an infringement of your right to free speech (which, by the way, it was not). But whatever you call this incident at which you take such offense, it was entirely within the moderator's rights to remove a review that he considered to be either uninformative or unfair. That's why message boards and sites that take users' input have moderators. So they can moderate and edit content where they see fit. Not to be mean, TeaNut, but you seem to be refusing to accept that reality.

There are plenty of negative reviews still on TeaMap, so I'm afraid your argument that the site is unfair doesn't hold any water. Your review just apparently didn't fit Ilya's standards of fair reviews. So you've got beef; you brought it, Ilya answered, and you lose. Game over. If you're still reading this thread, then I hope by now you've gotten the point.

peace and I'm out...
the level(headed) teaspoon
"My sister and I have this wish before we die...
Tea in the Sahara with you."
~The Police, "Tea in the Sahara"

I am the size of 1 tsp.

Aug 3rd, '05, 17:12

response to removed review

by Lana Y » Aug 3rd, '05, 17:12

Ditto Teaspoon..
Right on Point.
We've missed you.....
A Women is like TEA...You don't know how strong she is until you put her in hot water...

Aug 3rd, '05, 20:24

by teaspoon » Aug 3rd, '05, 20:24

Awww, thanks Lana Y... that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy... :)

I am the size of 1 tsp.

Aug 3rd, '05, 22:44

by TeaNut » Aug 3rd, '05, 22:44

Please allow just a few more thoughts from me before I "sign off" on this topic...TIA

1. Someone stated (above) that it is the moderator's right to remove posts as he/she wishes or deems necessary. I would not begin to argue that point. Absolutely! I agree. I only (initially) stated that I disagreed with that choice in this instance.

2. I want to point out that for whatever odd reason I did not see Ilya's reply at 12:08 until just a few moments ago when looking back through this thread. Ilya, your points were well made and did indeed help me to glean an understanding as to why this forum feels it necessary to remove posts. I'm still grappling with that concept - but it has given me food for though. Thank you for your continued polite efforts to help me understand your reasoning and rationale. Unlike some...you made your points in a thoughtful, educated, respectful and respectable manner. Thank you.

3. It is easy to forget that message boards and forums are private, especially when they are not boards that you can only enter by application only. It is therefore easy to forget that the same laws and principals of free speech in society do not apply. My blunder. Please forgive.

4. When I said my "goal was lost" I did not mean that I did not get an answer from an admin. For someone else to tell me that my goal was NOT lost would mean that he/she would have to know what my goal was, correct? My original question took a new direction when I discovered that the post had indeed been intentionally removed and not the result of a computer "glitch". At that point my goal was to convey MY opinion regarding the gravity of post removal/manipulation in the hopes that that would change. Ilya's kind reply helped me understand a bit more once I actually read it. I am not naive enough to think that my passionate opinion alone will change this...but perhaps more voices about this in the future might - who knows.

5. Teaspoon...I'm unsure what good will come from referring to me as a "troll". You may disagree with me, but I have been polite in my wording and as non-abbrasive as the next person. Why resort to such tactics as this? You seem to take issue with me for whatever reason. We dont' have to agree you know.
Not to be mean, TeaNut, but you seem to be refusing to accept that reality.

I accept that that is the way "it is done here"...but don't agree with it (at least in this instance).

There are plenty of negative reviews still on TeaMap, so I'm afraid your argument that the site is unfair doesn't hold any water. Your review just apparently didn't fit Ilya's standards of fair reviews. So you've got beef; you brought it, Ilya answered, and you lose. Game over. If you're still reading this thread, then I hope by now you've gotten the point.

I'm unsure why my ?'s and opinions have to be boiled down to being "a game that is lost or won and is now over" as you put it. Obviously I did continue to read the thread because it is something that matters to me. I do at least have a better understanding thanks to Ilya's attempts to help me understand. I'm just glad he was available to help me understand...you don't seem to be the goodwill ambassador here.[/b]

Aug 3rd, '05, 23:19

by teaspoon » Aug 3rd, '05, 23:19

Just a quick note in my defense...

True, you've been polite. But that doesn't change the fact that you came on with a beef that, once answered, you refused to let go of. Continuing to harp on the same point after being refuted/contested multiple times has the effect of making you out to be trollish, no matter how polite in your wording.

As for the "game over" comment; I have the unfortunate tendency to use metaphors. Pardon me if it seemed flippant, I did not mean that this all really is a game.

All is forgiven.

~the spoon

I am the size of 1 tsp.

Aug 4th, '05, 00:53

by Evelyn » Aug 4th, '05, 00:53

I completley agree with chris. The purpose of this great site is to allow customers the forum to give their opinion of whatever tearoom they have visited. Beng a tearoom owner,I would prefer some constructive critism from a patron than to recieve a nonsense review from someone who never even opened the door. It is utterly ridiculous to imply that an establisment is dirty and possibly in violation of health code standards because there was dog do outside. Our shop is on a busy main street and our stoop seems to be after hours club to some of our fine citizens and I find all kinds of tokens outside. If anything the propieters of this tearoom are guilty of carelessness and attention to detail. But I mean really in your heart of hearts do you really feel that your review was a comprehensive critique of the tearoom. I don't think so. If you don't even enter the building than you were never in the place to gather an informed opinion. Your review would not have been deleted if you have given an honest opinion. I bet that if you had brought the poo to the attention of the owner it would have been delt with. I guess you and everybody else knows what not to write in a review. By the way when will your tearoom be opening I'm sure we would all like to come for tea. I'll bring my white gloves!

Aug 4th, '05, 10:34

by TeaNut » Aug 4th, '05, 10:34

Evelyn...good grief. Why so snyde? Can't you make your case with more respect? Let's say, for argument's sake, that I am 100% wrong..is even THAT call for your tone with me? I dont' think so.

I never even pretended that I tried to go in by the way. I specifically said I did not so I was not being dishonest. I felt it was bad enough (and I give you all the benefit because you were not there and did not see all that I did) that I would share that info. I would want to know...and by my standards I should share that info if I would want to know it. Again, it wasn't JUST "poo".

Fortunately for us all I have no desire to open a tea room as I am blessed and fortunate enough to have so many in close proximity to my home. Yes! And guess what? They are all dung and fly free! Double bonus.

State your case, think I'm a prude, think I'm over the top, think I'm overly critical...but at least be respectful when telling me any or all of the above. Good grief. Lastly, you might want to read ALL that I wrote as I did state that Ilya's response had given me food for thought at least. : ) TN

+ Post Reply