I need new tea to try

These teas can resemble virtually any flavor imaginable.

May 25th, '17, 22:28

I need new tea to try

by ginagreen » May 25th, '17, 22:28

Since I have drunk many types of teas, I would like to try some new flavor of teas. I have ever drunk the black one, green one, jasmine tea, iron mercy goddess, matcha, and wheat tea. Could you please share some new flavor of teas with me? It will be so kind of you.
Attachments
tea5.jpg
tea5.jpg (30.38 KiB) Viewed 2567 times

May 26th, '17, 02:49

Re: I need new tea to try

by miig » May 26th, '17, 02:49

Hi Gina,
which black and green teas did you try? There are dozends and hundreds of green and black teas, which can be quite different.
And then, what about oolong, white tea, puerh tea...?

May 26th, '17, 03:41

by janet11 » May 26th, '17, 03:41

which flavor will you like most? Light fragrance or thick?

May 26th, '17, 04:08

by Xeractha » May 26th, '17, 04:08

I would recommend some greens
Japanese greens:
- Kamairicha; it tastes nutty and an easy brewer. I ordered the cheaper version from Zencha and I liked it.
- Kuki-cha, Karigane; I liked the Kuki-cha premium from Zencha and I bought shincha karigane from Maiko tea which is also good. These teas are more forgiving than regular sencha thus the reason I recommend them.
You could try any japanese sencha too but not necessarily a good experience at first because the brewing is not forgiving. Though you could try the Kagoshima Sencha Ten from Zencha. I could brew it without a proper teapot so it's on the easier side. And of course if you get into jap teas you should get a kyusu.

Chinese greens:
You could try some teas from Yunnan. As I noticed they smell and taste like peach. Though the fruity flavour is subtle but if you can get good quality chinese greens they are awesome.
You will read this a lot: YunnanSourcing
Trusted site so you can check it out.

White teas:
I bought Bai Mu Dan at a local store. It tasted like medicine but in a good sense. It would be a new flavour I guess so you could give it a go.

Pu-erh:
Shu - I'd try a mini cake from Yunnan Sourcing. Those probably wouldn't taste so harsh for a "beginner". New flavour for sure.
Sheng - This is difficult. I really liked an older Xiaguan Te Ji tuo at first but you might find it too "strong", smokey, bitter etc.
Basically for pu-erh you should check out YunnanSourcing. Pu is quite an adventure and interesting. And of course get a gaiwan (you can get one for 6 USD from Ali too).

May 26th, '17, 04:31

by Bok » May 26th, '17, 04:31

ginagreen wrote: Since I have drunk many types of teas, I would like to try some new flavor of teas. I have ever drunk the black one, green one, jasmine tea, iron mercy goddess, matcha, and wheat tea. Could you please share some new flavor of teas with me? It will be so kind of you.
That is a weird question. Even among black and green teas there already hundreds of different flavours available. Oolongs have even more.

Recommendations also will not really help. Everyones taste and palate is different. Some people have good taste, some not. Important is that you like the tea. Better to go to a teashop with a good selection and taste a few.

May 26th, '17, 11:25

by kuánglóng » May 26th, '17, 11:25

One of the best ways to widen your tea horizon without investing too much money would be samples or sample packs from the usual suspects (Yunnan sourcing, chawangshop, what-cha, ... etc...).

May 26th, '17, 21:45

by ginagreen » May 26th, '17, 21:45

miig wrote: Hi Gina,
which black and green teas did you try? There are dozends and hundreds of green and black teas, which can be quite different.
Isnt it just different from the brand? I just buy some new tea on the supermarket, and there is only the name on the appearance.

May 26th, '17, 21:48

by ginagreen » May 26th, '17, 21:48

janet11 wrote: which flavor will you like most? Light fragrance or thick?
I may prefer the light flavor, since I like to drink with some biscuits.

May 26th, '17, 21:56

by ginagreen » May 26th, '17, 21:56

Xeractha wrote: I would recommend some greens
Japanese greens
Chinese greens
White teas
Pu-erh
Thanks for your careful recommendation, I need to try more types of teas to find out the best tea I like. And I will search the teas you mentioned on the Internet and buy it.

May 26th, '17, 21:59

by ginagreen » May 26th, '17, 21:59

Bok wrote: Recommendations also will not really help. Everyones taste and palate is different. Some people have good taste, some not. Important is that you like the tea. Better to go to a teashop with a good selection and taste a few.
Yep, thanks for your advice, since there is not the teashop around my apartment, and I need to learn more about teas to find out the best one I like.

May 26th, '17, 22:03

by entropyembrace » May 26th, '17, 22:03

ginagreen wrote:
miig wrote: Hi Gina,
Isnt it just different from the brand? I just buy some new tea on the supermarket, and there is only the name on the appearance.
Nope! What you see in the supermarket is a tiny sliver of what's available; and it's blended so that large batches have consistent flavour over time.

Something that might be more familiar is wine. Think about all the different kinds of grapes that can go into making wine and how wine from the same type of grapes grown in different places can even be different because of growing conditions, the local yeasts, techniques of the producer ect...

Now consider that tea is even more complex chemically than wine and has even more variation available!

There's lots to explore but maybe a good place to begin (especially if you live in the United States) is some sampler packs from Adagio. They have a broad selection of tea all in one place and the sampler packs will let you try several different blacks, greens, and oolongs all from the same brand.

here's some links to samplers which include pure teas (they also sell lots of teas with added flavours and herbal teas)

http://www.adagio.com/gifts/green_teas_ ... mpler.html
http://www.adagio.com/gifts/teas_of_jap ... mpler.html
http://www.adagio.com/gifts/oolong_teas ... mpler.html
http://www.adagio.com/gifts/teas_of_ind ... mpler.html
http://www.adagio.com/gifts/black_teas_ ... mpler.html
http://www.adagio.com/gifts/premium_tea ... mpler.html

I like the stores others have suggested, the proposal of adagio is because they have tea from Japan, China, India, Sri Lanka all in one place. Suggestions like Yunnan Sourcing and Zencha are very good but more specialized.

May 28th, '17, 20:46

by ginagreen » May 28th, '17, 20:46

entropyembrace wrote: Nope! What you see in the supermarket is a tiny sliver of what's available; and it's blended so that large batches have consistent flavour over time.
Something that might be more familiar is wine. Think about all the different kinds of grapes that can go into making wine and how wine from the same type of grapes grown in different places can even be different because of growing conditions, the local yeasts, techniques of the producer ect...
Now consider that tea is even more complex chemically than wine and has even more variation available!
There's lots to explore but maybe a good place to begin (especially if you live in the United States) is some sampler packs from Adagio. They have a broad selection of tea all in one place and the sampler packs will let you try several different blacks, greens, and oolongs all from the same brand.
here's some links to samplers which include pure teas (they also sell lots of teas with added flavours and herbal teas)
I like the stores others have suggested, the proposal of adagio is because they have tea from Japan, China, India, Sri Lanka all in one place. Suggestions like Yunnan Sourcing and Zencha are very good but more specialized.
So kind of you! I will learn it seriously on the website. Thank you so much!! :)

+ Post Reply