Can you infuse the same blend multiple times?

These teas can resemble virtually any flavor imaginable.

Mar 2nd, '18, 13:02

Can you infuse the same blend multiple times?

by CaffeinatedChaos » Mar 2nd, '18, 13:02

Hi! I'm very new here, please forgive me if this has already been asked. I'm wondering if there is a guide somewhere that gives information on multiple infusions for various teas? I have several flavored black teas, a couple of oolong blends and I'm wondering how many times (or if I can at all) I am able to infuse the leaves. :)

Thanks!

Mar 6th, '18, 10:21

Re: Can you infuse the same blend multiple times?

by 12Tea » Mar 6th, '18, 10:21

It really depends on the tea. It's hard to generalise per tea category. Even for the same type of tea, the amount of infusions will depend on the quality, but also how you steep your tea. What tea tools are you using?

Mar 8th, '18, 18:24

by CaffeinatedChaos » Mar 8th, '18, 18:24

12Tea wrote: It really depends on the tea. It's hard to generalise per tea category. Even for the same type of tea, the amount of infusions will depend on the quality, but also how you steep your tea. What tea tools are you using?
Sorry I forgot I posted this, lol. I'm using a plastic tea infuser (16oz I think) to steep my tea. I generally prefer herbal, white, and mixed teas. I've found that some taste better than others to infuse multiple times. I'm having a hard time getting my water temp right though, as I don't have any sort of thermometer to measure it. I just have an electric kettle to heat up my water.

Mar 9th, '18, 12:21
Mod/Admin

by AndrewGC » Mar 9th, '18, 12:21

Hey CaffeinatedChaos,

Multiple infusions are a great way to stretch your tea, you sure can do at least one with almost all teas.

However, not all varieties re-steep with equal success. We find that Oolong varieties taste best with multiple infusions. Sometimes a second or third infusion may even taste better than the first. You may also re-steep Black, Green and Pu Erh teas, though the first infusion will likely offer more flavor than the subsequent ones.

As a general rule, use slightly higher water temperature and longer infusion times when re-steeping your tea to allow for the maximum flavor extraction!

Mar 9th, '18, 12:51

by CaffeinatedChaos » Mar 9th, '18, 12:51

AndrewGC wrote: Hey CaffeinatedChaos,

Multiple infusions are a great way to stretch your tea, you sure can do at least one with almost all teas.

However, not all varieties re-steep with equal success. We find that Oolong varieties taste best with multiple infusions. Sometimes a second or third infusion may even taste better than the first. You may also re-steep Black, Green and Pu Erh teas, though the first infusion will likely offer more flavor than the subsequent ones.

As a general rule, use slightly higher water temperature and longer infusion times when re-steeping your tea to allow for the maximum flavor extraction!
That's exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you for your thorough comment!

Mar 11th, '18, 05:46

by Psyck » Mar 11th, '18, 05:46

Brewing charts like these will give you all the info you need:
https://in.pinterest.com/pin/198580664793406644/

Jun 11th, '18, 17:37
Location: Somewhere in the wilds of Montana, but never without a teacup.

by skywarrior » Jun 11th, '18, 17:37

Sorry to come to the party late. As people on board have said, it just depends on the tea. I've found that many flavored teas end up tasting watery if you infuse more than once or twice. They also don't have caffeine, which if I'm going for that, is a nonstarter. Green and oolong tea seem to handle multiple infusions well. Black tea is hit or miss, but the higher quality, the more likely you can run multiple infusions. I hear puerh is big with multiple infusions, but I'm not a puerh fan, so YMMV. I would try it out and see what you like. :wink:

Feb 3rd, '19, 11:03

Can you infuse the same blend multiple times

by TimothyTup » Feb 3rd, '19, 11:03

Can you get a second single re-entry permit on the same 3-month non-B visa?

Thanks.

+ Post Reply