Essential oils for flavored teas

These teas can resemble virtually any flavor imaginable.

Mar 7th, '06, 18:47

Essential oils for flavored teas

by Elly » Mar 7th, '06, 18:47

I have heard about using essential oils for different flavorings in tea. I would like to try this for my next tea gathering.

These oils are food grade, FDA approved food additives on the GRAS list (Generally Regarded As Safe) and safety is not an issue. There are cookbooks using these oils in cooking.

Which Adagio black and green teas would you recommend that would take flavorings? The price would be right and I could have several pots of tea.

Which flavors would go best? Lemon, bergamot, lemongrass, orange, lime, tangerine, spearmint, mandarin, others?

Your suggestions will be appreciated.
Elly

Mar 7th, '06, 19:10

by yresim » Mar 7th, '06, 19:10

Traditionally, ceylon is the tea of choice for flavored tea. I believe the reason for this is because ceylon is very delicate, so it can be successfully flavored with ease.

However, I have found that I really enjoy flavored assam teas. I like the fact that I can still very clearly taste the tea under the flavoring. As for what flavors to use, the only ones I have used on assam thus far have been citrus (such as bergamot and lemon).

I also like to add vanilla to many teas (I haven't tried it in assam yet, unfortunately). Vanilla.com sells some very high-quality vanilla extracts which you can use to flavor teas.

If you are looking at flavoring teas, I would recommend picking up samplers of the various teas you are considering. Make a cup, and try to think of the foods you would like to have with this tea. If you have trouble imagining flavors, try the food while drinking the tea, and see how it pairs. I don't think it will take you long to get the hang of it.

The most important thing to keep in mind is to pair stronger flavors with stronger teas. If you pair a strong flavor (such as lemon) to a more delicate tea (such as white tea, or chamomile), you will only taste lemon flavor. What a waste. :cry:

If, however, you were to pair a stronger flavor with a stronger tea (such as lemon and assam), you will be able to taste both the tea and the flavor you added, resulting in a tantalizing ensemble of flavors and aromas.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I will let you know if I come across any shockingly yummy flavor combinations.

~Yresim~
"I know! We could go to the Bronze, sneak in our own tea bags, and ask for hot water."
- Willow, Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Reptile Boy, Season 2)

Favorite teas: earl grey, assam, white

Mar 10th, '06, 00:04

by Elly » Mar 10th, '06, 00:04

Thank you yresim for all that useful information. The vanilla idea was an especially good one.

I would like to have similar information for green tea but I'll apply the same for green.

Mar 24th, '06, 20:26

by Kestrel » Mar 24th, '06, 20:26

For a green base tea I'd go with either Green Anji or Green Pekoe. Those both look like basic greens, without a lot of other flavors that would compete or interfere with the flavorings you'd be adding.

Mar 24th, '06, 20:47

by jogrebe » Mar 24th, '06, 20:47

In case you didn't know bergamot is what is used in Earl Grey tea to flavor it, so if you like Earl Grey try comparing your own wiht others you've had. Likewise if you don't like Earl Grey tea avoid using bergamot in your tea because that is what you'll end up with.
John Grebe

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~C. S. Lewis

Jun 25th, '18, 07:26

Re: Essential oils for flavored teas

by alamba78 » Jun 25th, '18, 07:26

What are some food-grade or edible essential oil brands that can be safely used? Can the same be achieved using flavors like flavors used in cooking or otherwise?

+ Post Reply