Dec 3rd, '16, 13:45

1996 Puerh wraping paper broken/torn, tea pieces all over, is it normal/ok or should I return and get exchanged?

by wei301 » Dec 3rd, '16, 13:45

I bought a 1996 CNNP puerh cakes recently, and disappointed to find the wrapping paper is badly broken / torn, exposing the cake inside, and loose tea scattered all over second plastic bag. Is it normal / common for an aged puerh cake? Should I accept and re-wrap it, or should I return and exchange (if they have)? It is priced at £90 per cake

Dec 3rd, '16, 13:53

Re: 1996 Puerh wraping paper broken/torn, tea pieces all over, is it normal/ok or should I return and get exchanged?

by stevorama » Dec 3rd, '16, 13:53

wei301 wrote:I bought a 1996 CNNP puerh cakes recently, and disappointed to find the wrapping paper is badly broken / torn, exposing the cake inside, and loose tea scattered all over second plastic bag. Is it normal / common for an aged puerh cake? Should I accept and re-wrap it, or should I return and exchange (if they have)? It is priced at £90 per cake
I think this is normal. I've certainly experienced it. Time, humidity, abrasion and bugs can impact the state of the paper depending on the storage conditions. A small amount of broken tea is acceptable to me, but you could contact the seller if you thought too much tea was broken up. The tea is the important part.

Dec 3rd, '16, 14:08

Re: 1996 Puerh wraping paper broken/torn, tea pieces all over, is it normal/ok or should I return and get exchanged?

by wei301 » Dec 3rd, '16, 14:08

stevorama wrote:
wei301 wrote:I bought a 1996 CNNP puerh cakes recently, and disappointed to find the wrapping paper is badly broken / torn, exposing the cake inside, and loose tea scattered all over second plastic bag. Is it normal / common for an aged puerh cake? Should I accept and re-wrap it, or should I return and exchange (if they have)? It is priced at £90 per cake
I think this is normal. I've certainly experienced it. Time, humidity, abrasion and bugs can impact the state of the paper depending on the storage conditions. A small amount of broken tea is acceptable to me, but you could contact the seller if you thought too much tea was broken up. The tea is the important part.
Thank you. When I was checking, the holes just got bigger, and more loose tea came out...
I think I'll just keep it and drink the loose ones first....

Dec 3rd, '16, 14:21

by stevorama » Dec 3rd, '16, 14:21

wei301 wrote:Thank you. When I was checking, the holes just got bigger, and more loose tea came out...
I think I'll just keep it and drink the loose ones first....
Sounds like a good plan. Hopefully enjoyable tea!

Dec 3rd, '16, 14:34
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Dec 3rd, '16, 14:34

I usually reserve the dust and portion off a little for each pot with less broken leaf. Helps to put the dust under the leaf so the leaf can keep it in place (kind of like building a gall in Chaozhou gongfucha)!

Feb 19th, '17, 20:04

by toby » Feb 19th, '17, 20:04

Perfectly normal for broken/torn wrapper during shipment or handling.
If it is too damaged prior to shipping, most vendor would let you know before it was purchased.
$90 for a 1996? :roll:

+ Post Reply