Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jan 24th, '17, 21:03

Re: Official Pu of the day

by gatmcm » Jan 24th, '17, 21:03

jayinhk wrote: Kunming storage, right?
I'm not sure, I'm assuming so but do not have a term of comparison atm.

Jan 25th, '17, 00:07
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 25th, '17, 00:07

gatmcm wrote:
jayinhk wrote: Kunming storage, right?
I'm not sure, I'm assuming so but do not have a term of comparison atm.
Where did you get it?

Jan 25th, '17, 00:40

by gatmcm » Jan 25th, '17, 00:40

jayinhk wrote:
Where did you get it?
It was a part of a puer sample pack I got from liquidproust, been meaning to ask him a few questions on a few of the teas but waiting till I try all of them so I can ask them all at once.

Jan 25th, '17, 01:32
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 25th, '17, 01:32

gatmcm wrote:
jayinhk wrote:
Where did you get it?
It was a part of a puer sample pack I got from liquidproust, been meaning to ask him a few questions on a few of the teas but waiting till I try all of them so I can ask them all at once.
Gotcha. From the description it sounds like it has aged slowly and in very mild storage!

Jan 25th, '17, 14:02

by stevorama » Jan 25th, '17, 14:02

2006 Zao Xiang Zhuan Cha from Cha Ma Si tea company. This ripe brick has really benefited from several years storage in a ceramic jar. I had written this off as not that good, but it has developed nicely!

Jan 25th, '17, 19:58

by mr mopu » Jan 25th, '17, 19:58

gatmcm wrote:
jayinhk wrote:
Where did you get it?
LP. A young padawan of mine... Great guy!

Jan 26th, '17, 09:07
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 26th, '17, 09:07

Tried a Guangdong aged 7542 today at Yue Hwa in Hong Kong...my mom was visiting a doctor nearby and I decided to check out the top floor, where the tea stores are, since I'd never been up there. That's about as close as you can get to a Mainland tea market in Hong Kong and it was an interesting experience. The tea store in Yue Hwa in Singapore is kind of the same, but the HK Yue Hwa really feels a lot more like the Mainland and our Yue Hwa is a lot bigger. Lots more tea stalls and there's a massive tea store downstairs, too, but I felt like prices were too high for the quality across the board, and you get the same shadiness you get on the Mainland, I feel, and those who didn't know what they were doing might end up getting robbed by buying a fake cake.

I didn't buy any as the tea had a lot of storage aroma to it, but the smell from the dry leaves was quite shu like and enticing. The price was also higher than I'd pay for cakes of 2001 CNNP 7542 aged here in HK, so I decided to pass on it, even if it might have improved considerably with airing out (it was stored in a canister). I also tried a raw liu an with a little age, in the basket with the bamboo wrapper and all, but felt it was overpriced for what it was. It had definitely seen some humid storage as it wasnt as astringent or bitter as the aged sample I received from a member here several months ago (via chawangshop), but the dealer didn't know how old it was and it didn't seem like good value.

Tried a modern roast Chinese market tieguanyin as well...and it was TERRIBLE. Tasted like it might have been chemically altered and it was too sour. Another lady who'd stopped by had wanted to try it and some shoumei, so I sat in for both. I drank the first infusion but the second was just more than I could handle and I had to dump it. The other lady was like, you didn't like it? I was like, it was ok. lol. I thanked the seller and left at that point. I probably came off as rude for not saying I'd come back, but the TGY was that bad! As I was walking away, I heard a cup or gaiwan lid drop and shatter.

Had a funny experience before that--at the first tea stall I went to, I was looking at Xiaguan tuos and the lady there said, "green pu erh tea." I nodded, and said, "Xiaguan tuocha." She lit right up like :D She never expected me to know exactly what I was looking at, since the majority of non-Chinese clientele coming up there probably buy the same crappy green jasmine teas. I think I made her day. lol.

Took a picture of this Xiaguan promotional display at the store. I've seen this kind of thing in Kunming, but didn't take a pic then, and thought you guys might enjoy it. A mockup of the wooden frame used to transport pu erh along the Tea Horse Road in times gone by.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPuvQyIj1WE ... e.hk&hl=en

Feb 10th, '17, 07:02

by Rui » Feb 10th, '17, 07:02

Spring 2016 Mahei sheng from Die Kunst des Tees in Frankfurt. A very nice mellow tea to get me ready for the weekend tea tests. :lol:

Feb 10th, '17, 12:53

by kuánglóng » Feb 10th, '17, 12:53

2004 CNNP 7542 (greenteaguru - sold out)

Being not much of a 7542 fan, especially when it comes to Dayis, most likely due to some heavy overdoses back in the day, I hesitated too long before I pulled the trigger on these leaves but in the end I'm glad I did. I have some other 7542s and the rest of another 2004 CNNP version in my stash but this cake is my favorite of the bunch. Compared to the other 2004 CNNP this one hasn't been composted beyond recognition, the storage has been somewhat less humid and there's still a lot of oomph, character and kuwei left in these leaves, just the way I like it. It's also more complex and dynamic but both teas have a pretty similar viscosity and are somewhat close when it comes to the long impressive finale. IF Oli gets them back in stock I might just get another cake or two.

Feb 14th, '17, 06:39

by gatmcm » Feb 14th, '17, 06:39

Been experimenting with overleafing in my new 60ml pot to see how far the bitterness muting goes.
Had a bit over 6g of the 2012 YS Impression, downed 7 or so quick infusions in a short time. Damn that sent me floating in space, like I was on painkillers.
Flavourwise there was some astringency, not a lot, the bitterness was pretty muted but the thick body and asparagus sweetness were there as I remember them. It feels like it would age well, not that I know a lot on that.

Kept going till about 30 or so infusions, could probably have stopped sooner but was really in the zone.

Feb 16th, '17, 08:25

by Rui » Feb 16th, '17, 08:25

2012 Y. S. Autumn Yiwu purple sheng. Fairly smooth and sweet. :D

Feb 16th, '17, 23:41
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Feb 16th, '17, 23:41

Bought a 2007 smaller factory Menghai cake in my old neighborhood here in HK back in 2012. I liked it, and the price, so I bought another. Flavor was mild, pleasant and inoffensive back then, and not bitter. I wouldn't buy it today as I like more flavorful tea.

Now in 2017...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQjrgcRj0R8/

Feb 21st, '17, 11:53

by debunix » Feb 21st, '17, 11:53

I've been enjoying a some good sessions with puerh recently, and this weekend I had a terrific session with Fall 2010 Pa Sha Zhong Zhai loose sheng pu from Norbu. It has just a touch of funk at the beginning, then is sweet, herbaceous, mellow, earthy, just lovely. I found it hard to end the session and move on to other tasks away from the tea pot.

Yesterday, I set up two thermoses of tea for a day at the satellite office, expecting a very long day, but didn't have to break into the second thermos of my beloved 2009 Lao Cha Tou shu brick from Norbu. It sat overnight, and today I am 'refreshing' with about 25% water off the boil into each cup, and it is so rich, plummy, fruity, earthy, deep, with a thick body that feels so satisfying that I am in heaven. Moments like this I wish I'd bought a dozen more bricks of it....but I still have several in store, and have found fine nuggets from other sources so I know this is not a once-in-a-lifetime, never-to-be-repeated experience. I've had equally wonderful experiences with fine shengs at time, but really none better than this Stanley-thermos-brewed masterpiece session.

Feb 26th, '17, 05:05

by kuánglóng » Feb 26th, '17, 05:05

Last night a buddy and me enjoyed some of Oli's (greenteaguru) 2004 Menghai Grade 3 loose shu. I'm not much of a shu man but this stuff is actually pretty darn good and a nice match for the ongoing bad weather. Actually I've been drinking so little shu over the years that I still have some of the ripe CNNP cakes that I bought on my first trip to Yunnan in the late 90s. High time to dig them out and see how they have aged in the meantime.

Feb 28th, '17, 11:09

by Henk » Feb 28th, '17, 11:09

Got home too late and too spent to pay much attention to what I drink. Slugging a shu pu 7692. I'm not a shu guy; too much of the tea taste goes missing in tne process but this is an inoffensive drink.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

+ Post Reply