Chawangshop First Purchase

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Apr 20th, '17, 16:08

Chawangshop First Purchase

by zandrsn » Apr 20th, '17, 16:08

Hi folks, I'm still pretty new to puerh - I've only been really drinking and learning for the last 8 months or so. I'm at the point where I want both tea to drink, but also starting to think about cakes that will age well. I'd like to buy a bing from Chawangshop, but, because of my inexperience, I'm not sure which one to go with. Here are the one's I've been eyeing. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

http://www.chawangshop.com/index.php/20 ... -200g.html
http://www.chawangshop.com/index.php/pu ... -cake.html
http://www.chawangshop.com/index.php/pu ... -200g.html

Apr 20th, '17, 21:22

Re: Chawangshop First Purchase

by Alucard » Apr 20th, '17, 21:22

It might be best to buy one of each cake. I have a cake of the 2016 Hekai Gushu and I think it's decent. Not sure I would want 5 cakes unless I was looking to age though I have no experience with aging puer so I have no idea how this would end up after several years. I've only had a sample of the 2015 Bada Old Tree - I think it's hard to form a good/honest opinion based on a sample. I dont think this one did much for me. I also have the 2015 Mengsong (which I think is sold out) and I like this one. Maybe consider the 2016 Mengsong too? I am eyeing the Nannuo and Manzhuan Gushu for my next order. Anyways, these are my opinions based on what I like so YMMV.

Apr 20th, '17, 21:37

by mr mopu » Apr 20th, '17, 21:37

zandrsn wrote: Hi folks, I'm still pretty new to puerh - I've only been really drinking and learning for the last 8 months or so. I'm at the point where I want both tea to drink, but also starting to think about cakes that will age well. I'd like to buy a bing from Chawangshop, but, because of my inexperience, I'm not sure which one to go with. Here are the one's I've been eyeing. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

http://www.chawangshop.com/index.php/pu ... -cake.html
I am ordering the ones you have listed and one more. I really liked the last HeKai and Mengsong is an up and coming are I think. Some of the other areas have a lot of attention on them and getting $$$$

Apr 21st, '17, 02:44

by Rui » Apr 21st, '17, 02:44

mr mopu wrote:
I am ordering the ones you have listed and one more. I really liked the last HeKai and Mengsong is an up and coming are I think. Some of the other areas have a lot of attention on them and getting $$$$
I did exactly the same and ordered a couple of extra Hekai cakes just like I did last year.

Apr 21st, '17, 02:47
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 21st, '17, 02:47

Rui wrote:
mr mopu wrote:
I did exactly the same and ordered a couple of extra Hekai cakes just like I did last year.
I have two 2015 Hekai, but haven't touched the bings since I bought them (and one was purchased in 2015). I should probably check on em and see how they're doing!

Apr 21st, '17, 06:54

by mr mopu » Apr 21st, '17, 06:54

jayinhk wrote:
Rui wrote:
mr mopu wrote:
I have two 2015 Hekai, but haven't touched the bings since I bought them (and one was purchased in 2015). I should probably check on em and see how they're doing!
Cotton candy sweet is the note I got from it. I wished I had ordered a tong back then.

Apr 21st, '17, 10:18

by zandrsn » Apr 21st, '17, 10:18

Thanks for the advice so far! I only have the money for one or two cakes, so I'm wondering of those ones which would be your top picks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 21st, '17, 10:18

by zandrsn » Apr 21st, '17, 10:18

(Or others like the Mengsong, which I didn't list)

Apr 21st, '17, 21:48

by mr mopu » Apr 21st, '17, 21:48

zandrsn wrote: (Or others like the Mengsong, which I didn't list)

I got the Mengsong coming. The Bada cake , 400 grams, may be a good one as well. I can report when they get here.

Apr 23rd, '17, 01:27

by zandrsn » Apr 23rd, '17, 01:27

mr mopu wrote:

I got the Mengsong coming. The Bada cake , 400 grams, may be a good one as well. I can report when they get here.
Sorry, for some reason the app I was using on my phone wasn't showing your replies, which is why I asked again for specific cake recommendations. I ended up ordering one Hekai and one Mengsong cake. I look forward to trying them, and will report back!

Thanks for the help!

Apr 23rd, '17, 09:42

by mr mopu » Apr 23rd, '17, 09:42

zandrsn wrote:
mr mopu wrote:

Sorry, for some reason the app I was using on my phone wasn't showing your replies, which is why I asked again for specific cake recommendations. I ended up ordering one Hekai and one Mengsong cake. I look forward to trying them, and will report back!

Thanks for the help!
Quite welcome and no worries about the phone.

Apr 23rd, '17, 16:11

by Zacherywolf7 » Apr 23rd, '17, 16:11

I have the 2014 Bada and 2015 Mengsong, hope this helps.

Both are simpler but nice processed and good for drinking now and I imagine would age well. Mengsong is fruity and thick and Bada is more young fresh lawn cuts and spicy.

In warmer weather I reach for them when I am busy/cant decide what to drink. You always need cakes like that. I haven't had their more expensive but they seem like an established company and good value so for 65 I am sure the Nannou is good: nannou is very tropical tasting.

Apr 24th, '17, 02:07
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 24th, '17, 02:07

mr mopu wrote:
jayinhk wrote:
Rui wrote:
mr mopu wrote:
Cotton candy sweet is the note I got from it. I wished I had ordered a tong back then.
Revisiting the Hekai today--first nibble from the bing. I totally see why you say cotton candy now. Still lots of that but the tea is aging nicely. Still some astringency and bitterness. Brewing in high fired modern QSN from a very good studio in Yixing, and brewing with tetsubin-boiled water. Lovely session. Definitely no hunting for the flavor with this stuff and I believe it will age well! I might have to pick up some of the new cakes. I bought a bunch of Honza's Bulang ripe last year, but no new sheng. After trying this stuff I'm tempted to pick some up.

Apr 24th, '17, 06:09

by mr mopu » Apr 24th, '17, 06:09

jayinhk wrote:
mr mopu wrote:
jayinhk wrote:
Rui wrote:
mr mopu wrote:
Revisiting the Hekai today--first nibble from the bing. I totally see why you say cotton candy now. Still lots of that but the tea is aging nicely. Still some astringency and bitterness. Brewing in high fired modern QSN from a very good studio in Yixing, and brewing with tetsubin-boiled water. Lovely session. Definitely no hunting for the flavor with this stuff and I believe it will age well! I might have to pick up some of the new cakes. I bought a bunch of Honza's Bulang ripe last year, but no new sheng. After trying this stuff I'm tempted to pick some up.
If it resembles the stuff from the years before it should be a smoking deal for that price.

+ Post Reply