Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Apr 22nd, '17, 00:44
Vendor Member

Re: Official Pu of the day

by jayinhk » Apr 22nd, '17, 00:44

stevorama wrote:
jayinhk wrote:That should get me through the weekend I think!
Better get drinking, that's a lot of tea!!

Drank the 2013 Theasophie Mu Yu shou pu er this morning. Still my favorite younger shou pu er.
Steve, investment for the long haul. I don't expect to even touch any of those teas until 2027!

Apr 22nd, '17, 10:54

by stevorama » Apr 22nd, '17, 10:54

jayinhk wrote: Steve, investment for the long haul. I don't expect to even touch any of those teas until 2027!
2016 Xiaguan tuo - perfect for drinking now! Until you can get your hands on 2017! Joking of course :mrgreen:

Warming up this morning with a 2006 HongTaiChang shou from Tea-side. I like these Thai teas. Just noticed they have a 20% sale going right now.

Apr 24th, '17, 18:28
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Apr 24th, '17, 18:28

Having breakfast with some Chatou (2012). Flavors of apricot/sweet dates mainly, it's so yummy!
It's amazing the stamina of this tea, it keeps going and going .. :shock:

Apr 26th, '17, 09:39

by kuánglóng » Apr 26th, '17, 09:39

2011 Autumn Bulang (Canton Tea - produced by YS)

Nothing to die for really but a decent daily drinker with a healthy dose of pungency and power and some unexpected twists and turns here and there.

Apr 26th, '17, 15:05

by William » Apr 26th, '17, 15:05

kuánglóng wrote: 2011 Autumn Bulang (Canton Tea - produced by YS)

Nothing to die for really but a decent daily drinker with a healthy dose of pungency and power and some unexpected twists and turns here and there.
Enjoyed reading your review here! Nicely written! :D

Apr 27th, '17, 00:27
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 27th, '17, 00:27

Got the Xiaguan teas in today--the Cang'Er smells incredible! Especially the 454g cakes. Put them in a corner to do their thing. I'll check on them in a few years.

Apr 27th, '17, 05:12

by kuánglóng » Apr 27th, '17, 05:12

William wrote: Enjoyed reading your review here! Nicely written! :D
Thank you, William :)

2015 Autumn Bang Dong Village [YS via greenteaguru]

Another affordable but surprisingly decent autumn sheng. Pretty strong flavors and aroma, sweet and beautifully balanced with strong notes of dark forest honey, turning more floral later in the session. This sheng has almost narcotic qualities; during the first few steeps my lips and gums felt a little numb and I almost fell asleep after 4-5 cups. One of the best part for me though was the intense perfumy aroma and leng xiang in the cold cup; add the long aftertaste, decent huigan and durability (10 interesting steeps out of the 5g/80ml) and you end up with some really nice value for those 40... Euros.

May 3rd, '17, 02:08

by Obritten44 » May 3rd, '17, 02:08

I'd like to start out by saying hi guys! This is my first post in this forum, but I've been avidly following it for almost a year. I acknowledge that I'm nowhere near as experienced as many of you guys(i.e. Shah8) but I'll do my best. Today I finished of my sample of the 2014 Bulang Beauty from TU :( I got this sample in my first order with Tea Urchin around 6 months ago. I've been taking my time with this one and it's really grown on me. It was really good when I first tried it, but my palate was rather undeveloped with puerh. It has some great lingering sweetness but what really makes this tea is the Qi. I started feeling it in my chest around the second steep. It quickly developed into sweating, and I became more focused. I'm still feeling it now almost 4 hours later. If I had to criticize anything the flavors didn't change a whole lot over the course of the session...not too disappointed because I loved its bulang base with prominent honey aftertastes. Of course when I went to TUs website the cake is now sold out.

May 5th, '17, 06:07

by William » May 5th, '17, 06:07

I just finished having a wild DXS from 2013 brewed in a early/mid 70s Hongni F1 SP.
I think I bought this DXS from Hojotea, albeit I am not completely sure. Amazing quality, whole leaves, good stamina, lovely flavors of pineapples, ripe grapes, green apples .. so many different flavors in just one tea. Despite being a young sheng, this particular tea always puts me on sleepy mode. Byee!

May 5th, '17, 08:17

by Rui » May 5th, '17, 08:17

Xiaguan Baoyan 2005 brick from die Kunst des Tees in Germany

May 5th, '17, 13:51

by kuánglóng » May 5th, '17, 13:51

2014 DXS (YongDe) (bannacha)

Perfumy, honey-like aromas that stay in the cup for quite a while. Taste wise there's no some healthy kuwei and a rather complex sweet floral honey profile that covers the entire cavity. Decent above-average dynamics and fast huigan leading to one of the deepest, most intense and complex aftertastes I've experienced in a while, lingering for more than 20 mins. There are some somatics as well, sneaking up up the cheeks, moving around the nose, the eyes and ears, apart from that I didn't notice (or miss) any noteworthy stimulative or calming effects.
I managed to get the last of these cakes last year but would happily buy more if they were still available - lovely stuff.
Last edited by kuánglóng on May 5th, '17, 16:57, edited 1 time in total.

May 5th, '17, 13:56

by kuánglóng » May 5th, '17, 13:56

Rui wrote: Xiaguan Baoyan 2005 brick from die Kunst des Tees in Germany
Sometimes this is just the stuff I need to cope with the ongoing cr@p weather over here.

May 8th, '17, 06:24

by Rui » May 8th, '17, 06:24

kuánglóng wrote:
Rui wrote: Xiaguan Baoyan 2005 brick from die Kunst des Tees in Germany
Sometimes this is just the stuff I need to cope with the ongoing cr@p weather over here.
I agree. This same applies on this side.

May 10th, '17, 00:36

by Distrait » May 10th, '17, 00:36

Everyone's drinking Sheng.. is Shu welcome here?

Caveat: I'm a Pu novice, but I've drank my way through many samples in the past few months.

2006 Yi Pan Tang "Menghai Lao Shu" from Yunnan Sourcing

Astringency - little to none
Smoke - none
Dryness - little to none
Mouth-feel - medium-thick
Hui gan - didn't note on this, sorry
Flavor - good to excellent
Overall value - excellent
Purchase again - Yes! Just purchased two cakes!

Brewed: 8.5g/140ml gaiwan. Boiling water for quick rinse and 90 degrees for the first 10 steeps. I took this one to 20 steeps, really tried to see what this tea could do as the description said 10+ steeps easily and I was brewing quite light to start. A few flash brews and worked my way up all the way to 5+ min brews; but the first 10 were 20 seconds or less. Tea was a nice red-brown, lightening up over time. I'm still having a difficult time describing the taste of tea, but my notes say chocolate, wet wood and sweet. As most Shu I've had so far, as infusions go on sweetness intensifies. I found this tea fairly viscous and lubricating with some slight tingle on the outer edges of the tongue.

Overall quite good tasting tea and I think it's value is very good. I enjoyed it as much or more than samples of tea I had that were almost 3x the cost.

Already 11 years of age on this, great taste, huge 500g cake, only $30USD (on sale for another 15 hours).

May 11th, '17, 07:09

by Xeractha » May 11th, '17, 07:09

Around 15g (maybe little bit more) 2006 Xiaguan Te Ji + 80ml gaiwan and boiling water with relatively long steeps... Barely 40-45ml tea came out of the gaiwan.
My face looked like this

It tasted so smokey, bitter, sour, sweet and for some reason I felt cinnamon. But I won! I drank the tea till it tasted like water or I just killed my taste buds. This was lovely.

@Distrait Of course shu is welcome.

+ Post Reply