Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

May 23rd, '17, 05:25

Re: Official Pu of the day

by Xeractha » May 23rd, '17, 05:25

I'm drinking the HLH Gao Shan Chen Shun.
I'm quite unlucky with this tea. My order didn't arrive at first so Oli reshipped it. I felt quite bad being the first customer losing a parcel and it was my furst purchase from him.
Then I found a long hair pressed in the cake, then a straw from a basket. Now I found a dead bee pressed in the middle of the cake and I still have more than 3/4 of the cake for an adventure.

May 23rd, '17, 05:58

by kuánglóng » May 23rd, '17, 05:58

Xeractha wrote: I'm drinking the HLH Gao Shan Chen Shun.
I'm quite unlucky with this tea. My order didn't arrive at first so Oli reshipped it. I felt quite bad being the first customer losing a parcel and it was my furst purchase from him.
Then I found a long hair pressed in the cake, then a straw from a basket. Now I found a dead bee pressed in the middle of the cake and I still have more than 3/4 of the cake for an adventure.
Hmmm, I haven't found any extra goodies in my cakes so far but then I'm pretty immune to that sort of thing anyway. I bought 5 of those cakes from Oli, went through half a cake already and have no regrets whatsoever. On the contrary, this tea has quite a bit going for it, more than the price suggests and ages just beautifully.

May 23rd, '17, 22:35

by stevorama » May 23rd, '17, 22:35

2006 Changtai Tian Xia Tong An sheng pu er. Hits some good points for humid stored tea and has a reasonable price. I won't assume this is old material, but it does claim to be organic. Nice mouth feel and longevity, but lacks perhaps in throat feel with mild aroma and hui gan. Very stimulating.

May 24th, '17, 16:21

by stevorama » May 24th, '17, 16:21

2016 YS Wild Purple Green Mark raw/ripe pu er. Finishing a sample of this unique tea. Fairly clean tasting considering it's youth, but still quite full bodied with an almost juicy mouth feel. I can imagine this aging well.

May 24th, '17, 17:37

by kuánglóng » May 24th, '17, 17:37

2016 Spring Jingmai Gulan Old Gardens (bannacha)

Pretty decent, fragrant, mellow and sweet sheng with a touch of fennel and some nuttiness later during the session. Thick soup, some huigan and gentle qi but I somehow miss a more solid base here - YMMV.

May 24th, '17, 23:33
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » May 24th, '17, 23:33

kuánglóng wrote: 2016 Spring Jingmai Gulan Old Gardens (bannacha)

Pretty decent, fragrant, mellow and sweet sheng with a touch of fennel and some nuttiness later during the session. Thick soup, some huigan and gentle qi but I somehow miss a more solid base here - YMMV.
That is EXACTLY how I felt about their Jingmai Gulan. Clean, but no oomph.

May 25th, '17, 04:43

by kuánglóng » May 25th, '17, 04:43

jayinhk wrote:
Yubai and William put up a new video some days ago (in Mandarin :D ), where they talk about their new 2017 Gulan and their intentions to focus more on mouthfeel, body and ageabilty than fragrance.
Have a peek:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqq4u-dzTTQ

May 25th, '17, 06:57
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » May 25th, '17, 06:57

kuánglóng wrote:
jayinhk wrote:
Yubai and William put up a new video some days ago (in Mandarin :D ), where they talk about their new 2017 Gulan and their intentions to focus more on mouthfeel, body and ageabilty than fragrance.
Have a peek:
Thanks, let's see if that holds true when we try it!

May 26th, '17, 03:10

by Rui » May 26th, '17, 03:10

jayinhk wrote:
kuánglóng wrote:
jayinhk wrote:
Have a peek:
Thanks, let's see if that holds true when we try it!
Few minutes ago I already placed an order. Looking forward to taste the new version. 8)

May 26th, '17, 15:54

by Frisbeehead » May 26th, '17, 15:54

It's really nice to have my pumidor and pu'erh collection back now that I'm back from China 8)

Currently having some YS 2002 Ancient Spirit, great cake for the price. A bit sweet, and overall well-rounded, with a nice body and soft mouth feel. Used 7g in my 80ml F2 zini, which I've dedicated to semi-aged/aged sheng pu'erh. I've never used more than 6g in this zini, and I think 7g works well for this tea. With Yiwu pu'erh, using more leaf seems to bring out much more of the flavor, and seems better than using less leaf.

So I've got $150 in Visa/Amex gift cards from Christmas, and I'm considering buying some new pu'erh with it. Not sure what I want to get yet, but anyone have any recommendations? I really like pu'erh from Yiwu, as it tends to be a bit sweeter and more mild, but I like all styles of pu'erh really. I think I'd like to get a semi-aged/aged cake from one of the factories, such as this one from Chawangshop, or one of these cakes from TeaLifeHK, JayinHK's store. I haven't had much experience with the classic recipes and all that, so I'm open to suggestion 8)

May 26th, '17, 17:36

by stevorama » May 26th, '17, 17:36

Frisbeehead wrote: So I've got $150 in Visa/Amex gift cards from Christmas, and I'm considering buying some new pu'erh with it. Not sure what I want to get yet, but anyone have any recommendations? I really like pu'erh from Yiwu, as it tends to be a bit sweeter and more mild, but I like all styles of pu'erh really. I think I'd like to get a semi-aged/aged cake from one of the factories, such as this one from Chawangshop, or one of these cakes from TeaLifeHK, JayinHK's store. I haven't had much experience with the classic recipes and all that, so I'm open to suggestion 8)
I've sampled the CWS cake you linked. Pretty good dry stored tea. I think it's out of stock. I tend to prefer more humidity and so have tried a few TeaLifeHK teas. Based on your sweet, mild, Yi Wu preferences perhaps you would like the 2003-2005 HK Traditional Storage CNNP 7542. I don't know if I would call it mild or Yi Wu, but sweet and retaining some floral aroma. Jay probably could recommend some teas. Also Essence of Tea might have some suitable teas for you.

May 26th, '17, 18:46

by victoria3 » May 26th, '17, 18:46

Last night I finally got tea drunk at our tasting on Tony's 1995 Origin Mengku Ye-Sheng-Da-Ye Raw Puerh Cake gifted to me by Ferg. I could really get into this stuff similar to marijuana effect. Thank You, wow when it's good, it's good.
steeped in Late 80s F1, Zini Yu Li by Liu Xiu Di, or as I like to call him my little iron hat warrior.
Attachments
L1000351_sm.jpg
L1000351_sm.jpg (48.6 KiB) Viewed 922 times

May 26th, '17, 19:24

by stevorama » May 26th, '17, 19:24

2009 Big Classic "Remote Mountain Old Tree" Shou Pu Er from YS. A thick and full-bodied tea. Good value too.

May 26th, '17, 19:31

by kuánglóng » May 26th, '17, 19:31

Frisbeehead wrote: I really like pu'erh from Yiwu, as it tends to be a bit sweeter and more mild, but I like all styles of pu'erh really. I think I'd like to get a semi-aged/aged cake from one of the factories, such as ...
Three more ...
I recently sampled some of this stuff ...
http://www.greenteaguru.co.uk/shop/new- ... i-storage/
... well aged w/o any warehouse funk, mellow, sweet and fruity, almost to mellow for my taste.

Not that bad either ...
http://www.greenteaguru.co.uk/shop/raw- ... uerh-cake/
... pretty complex (fruity, balsamic, medicinal) and smooth, like mentioned in the description

and this one ...
http://www.greenteaguru.co.uk/shop/raw- ... -erh-cake/
... a rather quiet and sweet autumn sheng that surprised me with distinct notes of vanilla custard

May 27th, '17, 04:47

by Xeractha » May 27th, '17, 04:47

victoria3 wrote: Last night I finally got tea drunk at our tasting on Tony's 1995 Origin Mengku Ye-Sheng-Da-Ye Raw Puerh Cake gifted to me by Ferg. I could really get into this stuff similar to marijuana effect...
Sometimes I wonder what it's like being "tea drunk". I've never drank alcohol so I don't even know how being drunk feels. :D
The most I get out of some teas is being lightheaded, little bit slower, sleepy, calm. I drank a 2007 Mijin from Awazon 2 days ago. I lay on the couch, closed my eyes for a minute and an hour passed. I might try this tea at night. :O

+ Post Reply