Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

May 27th, '17, 05:03

Re: Official Pu of the day

by victoria3 » May 27th, '17, 05:03

Xeractha wrote:
victoria3 wrote: Last night I finally got tea drunk at our tasting on Tony's 1995 Origin Mengku Ye-Sheng-Da-Ye Raw Puerh Cake gifted to me by Ferg. I could really get into this stuff similar to marijuana effect...
Sometimes I wonder what it's like being "tea drunk". I've never drank alcohol so I don't even know how being drunk feels. :D
The most I get out of some teas is being lightheaded, little bit slower, sleepy, calm. I drank a 2007 Mijin from Awazon 2 days ago. I lay on the couch, closed my eyes for a minute and an hour passed. I might try this tea at night. :O
I keep hearing about certain pu'erh making people sleepy, would be nice to have a stash on hand and know which ones to get for that. i.e. When you get tea drunk you'll know it :D

May 27th, '17, 05:18

by kuánglóng » May 27th, '17, 05:18

victoria3 wrote:
I keep hearing about certain pu'erh making people sleepy, would be nice to have a stash on hand and know which ones to get for that. i.e. When you get tea drunk you'll know it :D
Honza's 2015 Mengsong Old Tree literally knocked me out a couple times after just 2-3 cups (5g/~60ml).
http://www.chawangshop.com/index.php/20 ... -200g.html

Dunno if it works that way for anyone else though; certainly not for Cwyn :)
http://deathbytea.blogspot.de/2015/05/2 ... e-and.html

May 27th, '17, 08:20
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » May 27th, '17, 08:20

Frisbeehead: 18% off for the next week, if you're interested! The 03-05 7542 is a good one. Still a little astringent but most of it is gone. The 01, on the other hand, is all mellow. I just picked up a dryer-stored 04 7542 (for HK traditional storage) but have yet to try it! High hopes for that one.

Victoria: I call that sleep inducing feeling cha qi. I most recently found it in a big way in Organic Kirishima sencha from O-Cha, which surprised me greatly! It seems to be green teas and pu erh that have that effect on me; I don't think I've ever found it with an oolong. In particular, good young pu erh/unpressed sheng maocha from old trees seems to knock me out like that. The Kirishima sencha is a lot cheaper, though! :lol:
Last edited by jayinhk on May 28th, '17, 00:39, edited 1 time in total.

May 27th, '17, 15:26

by victoria3 » May 27th, '17, 15:26

jayinhk wrote: Frisbeehead: 18% off for the next week, if you're interested! The 03-05 7542 is a good one. Still a little astringent but most of it is gone. The 01, on the other hand, is all mellow. I just picked up a dryer-stored 04 7542 (for HK traditional storage) but have yet to try it! High hopes for that one.

Victoria: I call that sleep inducing feeling cha qi. I most noticely found it in a big way in Organic Kirishima sencha from O-Cha, which surprised me greatly! It seems to be green teas and pu erh that have that effect on me; I don't think I've ever found it with an oolong. In particular, good young pu erh/unpressed sheng maocha from old trees seems to knock me out like that. The Kirishima sencha is a lot cheaper, though! :lol:
Sencha making you want to sleep- now that's something I've yet to experience! I'll have to try it out. I thought cha qi was more a state of elegant calm, one of the reasons I love oolongs. As I slowly explore the pu'erhs ferg gifted me, I hope one sleep inducing one is in the stash.

May 27th, '17, 15:55

by victoria3 » May 27th, '17, 15:55

kuánglóng wrote:
victoria3 wrote:
Honza's 2015 Mengsong Old Tree literally knocked me out a couple times after just 2-3 cups (5g/~60ml).

Must have something to do with the fermentation or aging process. Is 2015 Mengsong Old Tree shu or sheng? I don't see it on chawan shop site.

May 27th, '17, 19:40

by mr mopu » May 27th, '17, 19:40

victoria3 wrote:
kuánglóng wrote:
victoria3 wrote:

Must have something to do with the fermentation or aging process. Is 2015 Mengsong Old Tree shu or sheng? I don't see it on chawan shop site.
It was a sheng. Been sold out a while now.

May 31st, '17, 11:39
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » May 31st, '17, 11:39

About to dip into my stash of dry storage shu--not sure what I want yet, but I am definitely in the mood for ripe pu tonight.

I bought a tong + 1 cake of 2011 7541 a few days ago (Zhongcha production). It arrived absolutely devoid of aroma! Shocking. I'm hoping it'll wake up here. I've never had entirely aroma-free 7542 so this is truly a surprise. I'm hoping it's just the Kunming warehouse storage that killed it and it's not just crap material. Time will tell!

May 31st, '17, 15:12

by stevorama » May 31st, '17, 15:12

jayinhk wrote:I bought a tong + 1 cake of 2011 7541 a few days ago (Zhongcha production). It arrived absolutely devoid of aroma! Shocking. I'm hoping it'll wake up here. I've never had entirely aroma-free 7542 so this is truly a surprise. I'm hoping it's just the Kunming warehouse storage that killed it and it's not just crap material. Time will tell!
What inspired you to buy in the first place?

I just revisited a 2004 sheng that initially seemed barely aged (stored in cryostasis maybe!) It has developed a nice camphor aroma since I got it a year or two ago.

May 31st, '17, 15:38
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » May 31st, '17, 15:38

stevorama wrote:
jayinhk wrote:I bought a tong + 1 cake of 2011 7541 a few days ago (Zhongcha production). It arrived absolutely devoid of aroma! Shocking. I'm hoping it'll wake up here. I've never had entirely aroma-free 7542 so this is truly a surprise. I'm hoping it's just the Kunming warehouse storage that killed it and it's not just crap material. Time will tell!
What inspired you to buy in the first place?

I just revisited a 2004 sheng that initially seemed barely aged (stored in cryostasis maybe!) It has developed a nice camphor aroma since I got it a year or two ago.
Steve, the price was right. I bought it to age since I suspected it probably wouldn't have been aged well. The entire lack of aroma is a bit surprising, though. I'll give it several months to soak up some moisture and then check it out again. There's a good chance this tea has been in cryo because it was sold by a wholesaler who moves a lot of volume! I'm hoping it rebounds (I bet it will).

EDIT: a day later and the tea is starting to smell like pu erh. Just a hint of aroma. LOL. Let's see what happens in a month.

Jun 3rd, '17, 15:26

by stevorama » Jun 3rd, '17, 15:26

2015 YS "Huang Shan Gu Shu" Old Arbor sheng pu er. Very pleasant. Brewing with a slight mushroomy taste, but that might be due to my brewing.

Jun 6th, '17, 05:17
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Jun 6th, '17, 05:17

I just finished a lovely session with some Yiwu (gushu material) I recently acquired .. expansive but lovely.
Sugar cane, some orchid, maybe a bit of rose, never bitter, good stamina. Brewed with a F1 60s thin walled Hongni SP .. a good pair! :D

Jun 8th, '17, 23:54
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jun 8th, '17, 23:54

Drinking my own 2011 Dayi 7572, that's been aged here in my office for over a year. Very nice now, but I think it would be even better in two years. It is tasty, no fermentation or off flavors at all (just ripe date), but a little robust as far as body. I think it'll smooth out and develop more aroma and flavor with time. Right now it's plenty drinkable, and I keep reaching for this cake, but it willl be better down the line!

Jun 9th, '17, 17:51

by stevorama » Jun 9th, '17, 17:51

Started the day with 2015 Jiu Wan Impression shou pu er. Very pleasant tea that brews like something older.

Mixed left-over samples of 2015 YS Huang Shan Gu Shu (Jing Gu) and 2013 Mengsong Secret Garden. Brewing nicely together!

Jun 10th, '17, 06:20

by kuánglóng » Jun 10th, '17, 06:20

Sipping some XG Happy Tuo that has spent a couple years in some Guangdong cave, still has quite a bit of its original character, edges and smokiness left but now there's camphor or rather some sort of Tiger balminess blended in that adds to the complexity and beautifully enhances the experience. Good stuff.

Jun 12th, '17, 05:11

by Rui » Jun 12th, '17, 05:11

Spring 2015 Da Sun Shan from Farmerleaf.

Smooth and sweet with an excellent fragrance. Some light astringency that is not bothering me the least is present but no apparent bitterness.

+ Post Reply