YS aged raw puerh

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

May 26th, '17, 03:46

YS aged raw puerh

by bagua7 » May 26th, '17, 03:46

Has anyone tried any of their offerings?

https://yunnansourcing.com/collections/ ... e22e71b53e

Any recommendations?

Cheers! ;)

May 26th, '17, 04:31

Re: YS aged raw puerh

by Obritten44 » May 26th, '17, 04:31

Hey bagua7! It's tough to go wrong with YS. I've really grown to trust Scott as a curator/vendor. I've already placed an order for this sale on aged raw earlier today :lol: Some of my favorites are: 2002 Yiwu Ancient Spirit, 2002 HLH Ailaoshan Mini Cake, 2003 CNNP Mensong, and the 2002 Yong Pin Hao Red Yiwu(pricey but good.) I've also heard good things about the 2000 CNNP Bulang, all of the Tai Lians, the new 05 Jing Long Yiwu, 05 Mengku Zheng Shan Da Ye, as well as the 06 Changtai. It really depends on what you're looking for in a cake though. Hope that helps a bit!

May 26th, '17, 05:07

by Jack_teachat » May 26th, '17, 05:07

I had a few early 2000s samples from him a few years back, they were decent.

May 26th, '17, 07:00

by mr mopu » May 26th, '17, 07:00

Obritten44 wrote: Hey bagua7! It's tough to go wrong with YS. I've really grown to trust Scott as a curator/vendor. I've already placed an order for this sale on aged raw earlier today :lol: Some of my favorites are: 2002 Yiwu Ancient Spirit, 2002 HLH Ailaoshan Mini Cake, 2003 CNNP Mensong, and the 2002 Yong Pin Hao Red Yiwu(pricey but good.) I've also heard good things about the 2000 CNNP Bulang, all of the Tai Lians, the new 05 Jing Long Yiwu, 05 Mengku Zheng Shan Da Ye, as well as the 06 Changtai. It really depends on what you're looking for in a cake though. Hope that helps a bit!
Adding the 2007 CNNP 8891 to this.

May 26th, '17, 09:35

by Rui » May 26th, '17, 09:35

mr mopu wrote:
Obritten44 wrote: Hey bagua7! It's tough to go wrong with YS. I've really grown to trust Scott as a curator/vendor. I've already placed an order for this sale on aged raw earlier today :lol: Some of my favorites are: 2002 Yiwu Ancient Spirit, 2002 HLH Ailaoshan Mini Cake, 2003 CNNP Mensong, and the 2002 Yong Pin Hao Red Yiwu(pricey but good.) I've also heard good things about the 2000 CNNP Bulang, all of the Tai Lians, the new 05 Jing Long Yiwu, 05 Mengku Zheng Shan Da Ye, as well as the 06 Changtai. It really depends on what you're looking for in a cake though. Hope that helps a bit!
Adding the 2007 CNNP 8891 to this.
My order was also updated. Thank you Mr. Mopu.

May 26th, '17, 10:25

by kuánglóng » May 26th, '17, 10:25

Here are three of my own favorites from that list but I can't really recommend them since I don't know anything about the OP's preferences.
Just make sure to first try some samples before you end up with a cake (or tong :lol: ) of something you don't care for.

2003 Feng Qing Jia Ji Er Deng
2006 Mengku Wild Arbor King
2007 #4 Xiaguan FT (if you don't mind a bit of smokiness)

May 27th, '17, 05:01

by CheekyChipmunk » May 27th, '17, 05:01

Hi Bagua,

I second Kuán's comment that it's hard to recommend without knowing your preferences so I will just tell you a few of my favorites from the list and why.

First of all, the Xiaguan FT Kuán mentioned is a decent place to start. I've had some great sessions with this tea and probably more decent-but-nothing-special sessions. It's good value either way and does contain a fair amount of smokiness that starts to die down around 6-7 steeps in from memory. When it's good there is a thick hui gan and plenty of mouth activity.

Another I'd recommend is the 2007 Zheng Si Long "Yiwu Autumn Harvest" https://yunnansourcing.com/collections/ ... h-tea-cake
It's a very mellow tea that has a great texture and full taste in the mouth with a sweetness that teases at the palate. This is pricier but the quality is more consistent than the first one mentioned, in my experience anyway.

I'm not sure if you like purple teas (I do, I find they have a special chi which I find most normal pu's struggle to match). I have a few pricey ones in the mail but of the ones I have tried, my fav is definitely the 2007 Yi Shan Purple Bud Raw from Jinggu:
https://yunnansourcing.com/collections/ ... -of-jinggu
This is one powerful sucker. The chi on this one usually gets the sweats happening pretty fast and invigorates even the most exhausted imbiber. Chi aside, the soup is complex, balanced between smoky, earthy and greener elements. I think this would age pretty darn well but it's also great now if you like younger sheng.

The last one I'll put on the list at this point is more of an all rounder between those mentioned so far, HLH's 2005 Lincang Impression Raw Cake: https://yunnansourcing.com/collections/ ... pu-erh-tea
It has a smoky edge to it, brews up a nice thick tasty soup, has a nice strong chi and has a staying power that allows for VERY long sessions, a nice all rounder! Maybe you can post what your preferences are and we may be able to suggest something more suited to your tastes? Hope this helps!

Cheers,

CC

May 27th, '17, 20:14

by bagua7 » May 27th, '17, 20:14

Thanks for your replies. I am after pre-2000s cakes. Nothing over as I already have too many.

And I think I opened this thread too eagerly. My bad :(. YS doesn't really carry aged teas from the time period I am after.

Need to look elsewhere.

Cheers :)

May 27th, '17, 21:26

by Obritten44 » May 27th, '17, 21:26

bagua7 wrote: Thanks for your replies. I am after pre-2000s cakes. Nothing over as I already have too many.

And I think I opened this thread too eagerly. My bad :(. YS doesn't really carry aged teas from the time period I am after.

Need to look elsewhere.

You could check out Generation Tea. They have some good aged options for reasonable prices. Storage on some is a suspect tho. Pre-2000s tea is getting increasingly hard to find and more expensive.

May 28th, '17, 02:34

by ricegeek » May 28th, '17, 02:34

Obritten44 wrote:
bagua7 wrote: Thanks for your replies. I am after pre-2000s cakes. Nothing over as I already have too many.

Need to look elsewhere.

You could check out Generation Tea. They have some good aged options for reasonable prices. Storage on some is a suspect tho. Pre-2000s tea is getting increasingly hard to find and more expensive.
I haven't tried them, but there's been some online chatter recently about the authenticity of Generation Tea's offerings, so I would say tread carefully if you do try it.

The only reputable place I might consider for pre-2000 puer is Sampletea, and I am basing that on very limited experience with their pre-2000 teas, so please take that with a grain of salt. But at least you can sample before you buy.

+ Post Reply