Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jun 23rd, '17, 20:22

Re: Official Pu of the day

by stevorama » Jun 23rd, '17, 20:22

2016 EOT Wuliang H. This tea has longevity. I brewed this steadily throughout my workday in a gaiwan (7g to 150ml) and it kept on giving. Brewed up a solid overnight brew too.

Jun 24th, '17, 21:47

by mr mopu » Jun 24th, '17, 21:47

2017 Rock Rhyme Lincang Bangdong by gylxtea
Starting this out with an 8 gram sample. The dry leaf has a nice sweet aroma to it.
Using the duanni clay pot. I warmed the pot and poured the water out and tossed in the leaves. Aroma get sweeter in the steam.
Flash rinse and the aroma intensifies with more of the sweet aroma with some honey in there. First steep very quick into the cup. The teas seems well processed as there wasn’t much char in the filter. First sips, sweet , floral , honey in there some mineral and some middle tongue notes.
Second steep, tea gets much thicker and active. Still the underlying sweetness. The bitter has crept in which means shorter steeps as I continue.
I paused a few minutes to soak in. Aftertaste is pretty nice on this one.
Third steep, still strength in this one. Sweet and bitter mixing in. A little of the mineral slips back in as well. Still clean in the filter and the leaf is slowly starting to unfurl.

Flavors: Bitter, Floral, Honey, Mineral, Sweet, Thick

Jun 26th, '17, 13:44

by kuánglóng » Jun 26th, '17, 13:44

2008 XG Jia Ji FT (Traditional storage)

Had to air out these tuos for a couple months to get rid of the heavy storage funk but now it's much more enjoyable, including the first couple steeps. There's still a healthy amount of good bitterness, decent balance with surprising sweetness, notes of red virginia, a bit of herbal medicine, mainly valerian, and not much XG smokiness. Pretty viscous dark rusty orange liquor, decent throatiness and huigan, almost too heavy heady qi and pretty good stamina. Anyway, this tuo goes straight back into storage for another couple years. Even though it's far from boring I'd pick any of my Liming tuos, a 2008 XG Happy or even dry stored standard Jia Ji tuo from the same year over this stuff - YMMV.

Jun 27th, '17, 01:47

by stevorama » Jun 27th, '17, 01:47

kuánglóng wrote: 2008 XG Jia Ji FT (Traditional storage)
Where did you pick that up?

Jun 27th, '17, 02:42

by kuánglóng » Jun 27th, '17, 02:42

stevorama wrote:
kuánglóng wrote: 2008 XG Jia Ji FT (Traditional storage)
Where did you pick that up?
From a friend of mine in Malaysia (I have some nice stuff to trade :D ).
I bought a few of the same tuos with dry storage from a guy in Fujian some years ago but apparently he folded up business.
Kingteamall still have them in stock but I have no idea how they've been stored:
https://www.kingteamall.com/product/200 ... sheng-cha/

Jun 27th, '17, 15:28

by stevorama » Jun 27th, '17, 15:28

kuánglóng wrote: From a friend of mine in Malaysia (I have some nice stuff to trade :D ).
I bought a few of the same tuos with dry storage from a guy in Fujian some years ago but apparently he folded up business.
Kingteamall still have them in stock but I have no idea how they've been stored:
https://www.kingteamall.com/product/200 ... sheng-cha/
Thanks! Always on the lookout for traditional storage that still has aroma, huigan, stamina, etc :D

Jun 27th, '17, 18:38

by kuánglóng » Jun 27th, '17, 18:38

stevorama wrote: Thanks! Always on the lookout for traditional storage that still has aroma, huigan, stamina, etc :D
Me too, Steve. Unfortunately I got the last few of those tuos and have no idea where to get them elsewhere.
BTW, don't know if you know the Liming tuos I've mentioned, but I like them quite a bit, good power, pretty complex aroma and taste (probably heavy on terpenes with an interesting dominant theme that reminds me a bit of venetian balsam and linseed oil), and they survive some years of traditional storage without losing too much of their character.
The ones I got from Honza must have been stored in Kunming though ...
https://www.chawangshop.com/2010-zao-ch ... o-cha.html

Jun 27th, '17, 20:43

by stevorama » Jun 27th, '17, 20:43

kuánglóng wrote: Me too, Steve. Unfortunately I got the last few of those tuos and have no idea where to get them elsewhere. BTW, don't know if you know the Liming tuos I've mentioned, but I like them quite a bit, good power, pretty complex aroma and taste (probably heavy on terpenes with an interesting dominant theme that reminds me a bit of venetian balsam and linseed oil), and they survive some years of traditional storage without losing too much of their character.
You mean you like the one from honza or prefer with more humidity? I've only tried a Liming shu pu er. I'll check them out.

Jun 30th, '17, 01:54

by kuánglóng » Jun 30th, '17, 01:54

stevorama wrote:
kuánglóng wrote: Me too, Steve. Unfortunately I got the last few of those tuos and have no idea where to get them elsewhere. BTW, don't know if you know the Liming tuos I've mentioned, but I like them quite a bit, good power, pretty complex aroma and taste (probably heavy on terpenes with an interesting dominant theme that reminds me a bit of venetian balsam and linseed oil), and they survive some years of traditional storage without losing too much of their character.
You mean you like the one from honza or prefer with more humidity? I've only tried a Liming shu pu er. I'll check them out.
I actually like both versions but when it comes to tropical storage I prefer some Liming teas over other, more famous factory stuff, not at last because many of their teas are organic.
Last edited by kuánglóng on Jun 30th, '17, 01:56, edited 2 times in total.

Jun 30th, '17, 06:38
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jun 30th, '17, 06:38

kuánglóng wrote:
stevorama wrote:
I actually like both versions but when it comes to tropical storage I prefer some Liming teas over other, more famous factory stuff, not at last because many of their teas are organic.
Just bought a bunch of different Liming raw cakes and tuos as samples to see which I feel might have long term aging potential after reading Kuanglong's post. ;)

Trying out EoT's 2017 Yiwu Guoyoulin. This is a remarkable Yiwu. Smooth, no bitterness, thick mouthfeel, a little huigan and a lovely, complex aroma of wildflowers. The aroma is so deep it smells almost like roses when I take a deep breath. Really lovely material. It appears to already be sold out, so I'm glad I got a sample of this! Bought another two hongni shuipings from EoT's most recent batch and this was thrown in.

Jun 30th, '17, 07:35

by kuánglóng » Jun 30th, '17, 07:35

jayinhk wrote: Just bought a bunch of different Liming raw cakes and tuos as samples to see which I feel might have long term aging potential after reading Kuanglong's post. ;)
Did you find any that went through some form of 'tropical' (HK, Guang Dong, MY, ...) storage?
FWIK Liming use a healthy amount of Bulang leaves in their recipes, pretty much like Dayi , but I don't get the jitters from their 7540.

(Sipping some more of that humid stored 2006 XG BanYao right now. 15 steeps and counting.)

Jun 30th, '17, 09:36
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jun 30th, '17, 09:36

kuánglóng wrote:
jayinhk wrote: Just bought a bunch of different Liming raw cakes and tuos as samples to see which I feel might have long term aging potential after reading Kuanglong's post. ;)
Did you find any that went through some form of 'tropical' (HK, Guang Dong, MY, ...) storage?
FWIK Liming use a healthy amount of Bulang leaves in their recipes, pretty much like Dayi , but I don't get the jitters from their 7540.

(Sipping some more of that humid stored 2006 XG BanYao right now. 15 steeps and counting.)
I think they're all very dry storage, but I'll let you know when they come in. Should be about a week!

Jun 30th, '17, 15:06

by kuánglóng » Jun 30th, '17, 15:06

jayinhk wrote: I think they're all very dry storage, but I'll let you know when they come in. Should be about a week!
Looking forward to your impressions, Jay.

Sipping some 2014 Mangfei Ancient Gardens (bannacha) right now.
William mentioned that this tea has been processed on the redder side of the spectrum but I'm glad it doesn't really show. This cake has matured considerably in a multi-layer bag; it's far more balanced and sweeter with a complex floral perfume, honey and lokum notes and a healthy dose of good bitterness, OK dynamics, really nice deeeep huigan, long fresh aftertaste and good endurance.
Like W. said it's a bit tough on the tummy but compared to other Mangfei shengs in my stash this is some really strong stuff and I have no doubts that it will continue to age beautifully; unfortunately I only bought one cake when it was still available.

Jul 1st, '17, 02:55

by Obritten44 » Jul 1st, '17, 02:55

jayinhk wrote:
kuánglóng wrote:
stevorama wrote:
Just bought a bunch of different Liming raw cakes and tuos as samples to see which I feel might have long term aging potential after reading Kuanglong's post. ;)

Trying out EoT's 2017 Yiwu Guoyoulin. This is a remarkable Yiwu. Smooth, no bitterness, thick mouthfeel, a little huigan and a lovely, complex aroma of wildflowers. The aroma is so deep it smells almost like roses when I take a deep breath. Really lovely material. It appears to already be sold out, so I'm glad I got a sample of this! Bought another two hongni shuipings from EoT's most recent batch and this was thrown in.

Yea I can't believe how quickly EoT sold out of the Guoyoulin given the price! I, like you, am happy I picked up a sample of this amazing tea before it was gone. I agree that the aroma is very special...fills the whole room with sweet honey florals. I also threw in a 1987-93 Factory 1 Hogni shui ping with my order. Anyone have some opinions as to what type of tea this clay would be good to pair with?

Jul 1st, '17, 08:51
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jul 1st, '17, 08:51

Obritten44 wrote:
jayinhk wrote:
kuánglóng wrote:
stevorama wrote:

Yea I can't believe how quickly EoT sold out of the Guoyoulin given the price! I, like you, am happy I picked up a sample of this amazing tea before it was gone. I agree that the aroma is very special...fills the whole room with sweet honey florals. I also threw in a 1987-93 Factory 1 Hogni shui ping with my order. Anyone have some opinions as to what type of tea this clay would be good to pair with?
Sheng or Wuyicha :) Tieguanyin and other rolled oolongs are fine in the 100ml size. Larger is pu erh territory and I use a 170ml for young sheng.

+ Post Reply