2 first cakes from ys

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jul 17th, '17, 21:12

Re: 2 first cakes from ys

by mr mopu » Jul 17th, '17, 21:12

William wrote:
dizzo wrote: Thanks folks.
I couldnt decide on 2 cakes...so I bought a sample of every cake suggested here.
Smart move! 8)
Seconded! Individual tastes can vary a bit. With the samples you can get a broader range of terrior and age. Hope you will like a few of them.

Sep 19th, '17, 03:43

by CheekyChipmunk » Sep 19th, '17, 03:43

mr mopu wrote: That thing is a sleeper. It tastes like a much older tea. You should try it and let me know what you think.
Hi Mopu,

So i finally got around to trying the '15 HLH Gan Shan and I can see what you mean! The typical 'petroleum' notes are hardly there if at all and already I'm getting creamy malty sweet brews well beyond the age and price of this tea :D
I couldnt decide on 2 cakes...so I bought a sample of every cake suggested here.
Any news on how the pu experiment is going?

Cheers,

CC

Sep 19th, '17, 06:56

by mr mopu » Sep 19th, '17, 06:56

CheekyChipmunk wrote:
mr mopu wrote: That thing is a sleeper. It tastes like a much older tea. You should try it and let me know what you think.
Hi Mopu,

So i finally got around to trying the '15 HLH Gan Shan and I can see what you mean! The typical 'petroleum' notes are hardly there if at all and already I'm getting creamy malty sweet brews well beyond the age and price of this tea :D

Cheers,

CC
That is a good one for the price! There is an 8891 over there as well. Punches above its weight as well.

Sep 19th, '17, 10:13

by dizzo » Sep 19th, '17, 10:13

CheekyChipmunk wrote:
Hi Mopu,

Cheers,

CC
Most of what I ordered were younger shengs. I have been making them in a zini f1 that was new when I got it. I think this pot takes too much out of the tea and I am having trouble tasting the subtle differences. I recently bought a high fired Hongni that I will try with the sheng instead to see if makes a difference.

Sep 19th, '17, 14:26
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Sep 19th, '17, 14:26

dizzo wrote:
CheekyChipmunk wrote:
Hi Mopu,

Cheers,

CC
Most of what I ordered were younger shengs. I have been making them in a zini f1 that was new when I got it. I think this pot takes too much out of the tea and I am having trouble tasting the subtle differences. I recently bought a high fired Hongni that I will try with the sheng instead to see if makes a difference.
Try porcelain too and see how it compares. A gaiwan would be perfect for testing new teas.

Sep 19th, '17, 22:51

by mr mopu » Sep 19th, '17, 22:51

jayinhk wrote:
dizzo wrote:
CheekyChipmunk wrote:
Hi Mopu,

Cheers,

CC
Try porcelain too and see how it compares. A gaiwan would be perfect for testing new teas.
I normally due a neutral brew as well when evaluating. Porcelain or glazed is usually my first choice.

Sep 20th, '17, 01:03

by CheekyChipmunk » Sep 20th, '17, 01:03

mr mopu wrote: That is a good one for the price! There is an 8891 over there as well. Punches above its weight as well.
Good to know thanks!

Sep 20th, '17, 01:06

by CheekyChipmunk » Sep 20th, '17, 01:06

dizzo wrote: Most of what I ordered were younger shengs. I have been making them in a zini f1 that was new when I got it. I think this pot takes too much out of the tea and I am having trouble tasting the subtle differences. I recently bought a high fired Hongni that I will try with the sheng instead to see if makes a difference.
I guess it depends on your particular pot in terms of firing, clay etc. but I don't necessarily think f1 should make all the teas taste the same. I would def try a gaiwan, from what I can tell, this is how all the pure growers and suppliers drink young sheng. Personally I've tried many diff ways and find they all have their own benefits. I drink my sheng in a range of stuff from red clay to zini to jian shui and porcelain from time to time. Brewing parameters could have something to do with it as well. How are you brewing it at the mo?

CC

Sep 20th, '17, 16:44

by dizzo » Sep 20th, '17, 16:44

CheekyChipmunk wrote:
dizzo wrote: Most of what I ordered were younger shengs. I have been making them in a zini f1 that was new when I got it. I think this pot takes too much out of the tea and I am having trouble tasting the subtle differences. I recently bought a high fired Hongni that I will try with the sheng instead to see if makes a difference.
I guess it depends on your particular pot in terms of firing, clay etc. but I don't necessarily think f1 should make all the teas taste the same. I would def try a gaiwan, from what I can tell, this is how all the pure growers and suppliers drink young sheng. Personally I've tried many diff ways and find they all have their own benefits. I drink my sheng in a range of stuff from red clay to zini to jian shui and porcelain from time to time. Brewing parameters could have something to do with it as well. How are you brewing it at the mo?

CC
between 190-200F. single rinse. Ive played with infusion times. I think its the Zini rather than it necessarily being an F1. I have porcelain and a Hongni on the way, so im sure ill find some parameters that I find more agreeable.

Sep 21st, '17, 00:10
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Sep 21st, '17, 00:10

dizzo wrote:
CheekyChipmunk wrote:

CC
between 190-200F. single rinse. Ive played with infusion times. I think its the Zini rather than it necessarily being an F1. I have porcelain and a Hongni on the way, so im sure ill find some parameters that I find more agreeable.
I'd start with the porcelain and then compare to the hongni. Some zini is VERY muting and best suited to wet storage stuff/high fire oolongs that need taming.

+ Post Reply