How Many Brews Over How Long?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Oct 23rd, '17, 08:31

Re: How Many Brews Over How Long?

by Psyck » Oct 23rd, '17, 08:31

Practically all tea is very flexible and can be brewed in a wide variety of ways. The instructions they come with are usually very generic and you can experiment by varying the different parameters to get a brew of your liking. Teavivre is a good entry point for a beginner to try various Chinese teas, I have bought from them more than once; once you gain some experience you can check out other vendors who specialize in particular tea types like puerh.

Oct 23rd, '17, 13:10

by ljfnord » Oct 23rd, '17, 13:10

Psyck wrote: Practically all tea is very flexible and can be brewed in a wide variety of ways. The instructions they come with are usually very generic and you can experiment by varying the different parameters to get a brew of your liking. Teavivre is a good entry point for a beginner to try various Chinese teas, I have bought from them more than once; once you gain some experience you can check out other vendors who specialize in particular tea types like puerh.
Thank you. That's very reassuring, especially the bit about Teavivre.

Oct 24th, '17, 00:39

by bagua7 » Oct 24th, '17, 00:39

My experience is:

1. As many times as required until flavour it becomes dull/flat. Increase steeping times accordingly.
2. Leave in Yixing pot outside (on top of serving tray)...if quality Yixing is used. Otherwise discard tea. I live in Queensland. Australia and when it gets hot here (it really does and also very humid) I keep Yixing pots with tea in in the fridge until next session. In a colder climate, I wouldn't risk a Yixing pot by doing this practice.

Oct 24th, '17, 04:03

by ljfnord » Oct 24th, '17, 04:03

bagua7 wrote: My experience is:

1. As many times as required until flavour it becomes dull/flat. Increase steeping times accordingly.
2. Leave in Yixing pot outside (on top of serving tray)...if quality Yixing is used. Otherwise discard tea. I live in Queensland. Australia and when it gets hot here (it really does and also very humid) I keep Yixing pots with tea in in the fridge until next session. In a colder climate, I wouldn't risk a Yixing pot by doing this practice.
Sounds like what I'm already doing with my IngenuiTEA pot. Two questions:

1. Am I that weird for using an IngenuiTEA pot to brew?
2. What is a Yixing pot?

Oct 24th, '17, 12:46

by 12Tea » Oct 24th, '17, 12:46

ljfnord wrote:
bagua7 wrote: 1. Am I that weird for using an IngenuiTEA pot to brew?
2. What is a Yixing pot?
Yixing refers to a type of clay from a city/region called Yixing. I got one from Teasenz a while a go for my oolong teas. Basically you brew smaller portions of tea, but the tea lasts for more brews than using an IngenuiTea pot. There's nothing wrong with the latter, but Yixing pots isolate heat better and because it absorbs tea aroma, over time it improves the taste of your tea.

+ Post Reply