How many infusions can you enjoy?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jan 6th, '18, 10:33

How many infusions can you enjoy?

by VanFersen » Jan 6th, '18, 10:33

Ahoi & Cheers~

I was wondering lately why so many drink 15+ infusions when they enjoy an aged or shou pu-erh - some even when it comes to raw sheng.

I drink and review mostly Pu and it is one of my favorite type of tea group but I only had it once or twice that a Pu really gave enough to be enjoyed for 12 steepings!

I mean I see the point that some may enjoy the really light steeps but I don't to be honest. I really enjoy pu's as long as they are able to provide a full and deep profile. If it gets lighter I may enjoy one or two more but that's it.

In my habit of drinking tea I personally can't understand the way of drinking a tea until most of the flavors and profile is already gone. But I guess that's a personal preference as all preferences are :lol:

I am just wondering because I am really drinking good stuff and I got a very fine nose and tasting buds but I can't find any excitement drinking more than 7-8 infusions most of the time. How about you? How many infusions do you enjoy most of time while drinking Pu?

Jan 6th, '18, 11:07

Re: How many infusions can you enjoy?

by mr mopu » Jan 6th, '18, 11:07

VanFersen wrote: Ahoi & Cheers~

I was wondering lately why so many drink 15+ infusions when they enjoy an aged or shou pu-erh - some even when it comes to raw sheng.

I drink and review mostly Pu and it is one of my favorite type of tea group but I only had it once or twice that a Pu really gave enough to be enjoyed for 12 steepings!

I mean I see the point that some may enjoy the really light steeps but I don't to be honest. I really enjoy pu's as long as they are able to provide a full and deep profile. If it gets lighter I may enjoy one or two more but that's it.
I echo your sentiments. Once the full flavored steeps are gone I generally move on as well. I do have some that go late and sometimes days into the session.
In my habit of drinking tea I personally can't understand the way of drinking a tea until most of the flavors and profile is already gone. But I guess that's a personal preference as all preferences are :lol:

I am just wondering because I am really drinking good stuff and I got a very fine nose and tasting buds but I can't find any excitement drinking more than 7-8 infusions most of the time. How about you? How many infusions do you enjoy most of time while drinking Pu?

Jan 6th, '18, 11:36

by PuerhCollector » Jan 6th, '18, 11:36

I like a strong cup myself. Personally I brew on average 10+ steeps. That said some tea leaves just give and give and I have often gotten 20+ steeps from these special teas.

You may also want to consider that people have vastly different parameters for brewing tea. In terms of leaf and water ratio and infusion time, just these 2 things will greatly influence the number of steeps you can get from a tea session.

Jan 6th, '18, 12:12

by VanFersen » Jan 6th, '18, 12:12

PuerhCollector wrote:

I like a strong cup myself. Personally I brew on average 10+ steeps. That said some tea leaves just give and give and I have often gotten 20+ steeps from these special teas.

You may also want to consider that people have vastly different parameters for brewing tea. In terms of leaf and water ratio and infusion time, just these 2 things will greatly influence the number of steeps you can get from a tea session.
You're definitely right about that. I mean in my case I mostly use 100-130ml pots with the amount of 5-6g tea - except Green Tea in such cases I only use 4g. Steeping Time for Pu is around 10-15 Seconds in general. :wink:

Jan 7th, '18, 00:55

by PuerhCollector » Jan 7th, '18, 00:55

VanFersen wrote: You're definitely right about that. I mean in my case I mostly use 100-130ml pots with the amount of 5-6g tea - except Green Tea in such cases I only use 4g. Steeping Time for Pu is around 10-15 Seconds in general. :wink:
I tend to go heavier with perhaps around 7-8g to around 80-100ml. I go from 5-10s for early steeps and for special teas worth drinking I will extend it to 15mins, 30mins (sometimes more) at the tail end. You are right in mentioning that each individual tea, each category requires a few little tweaks to get the best out of them. :)

Jan 14th, '18, 13:29

by Mr. Waffles » Jan 14th, '18, 13:29

It all depends on the tea. Yesterday, I had a sheng from 1998. A very good one. I lost count, but I think I was in the 12-15 infusion range before I felt like I had my fill. I'm sure I could have kept going, but the flavor was not morphing much.

Outside of pu'er, there's one variety I will easily go 15+ rounds with: lao cong shui xian. When I find a really good version of that, it's incomparable. The changes in can undergo are insane.

Jan 15th, '18, 03:42
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 15th, '18, 03:42

I used to do overnight infusions and really exhaust leaves, but I stopped doing that years ago! Now when I'm tired of a tea, I throw out the leaves and start something new when I'm ready.

Mar 21st, '18, 13:43

by xiaguanfanboy » Mar 21st, '18, 13:43

2 different Teas are usually enough for the whole day. Start with sheng or oolong around 5~8 steepings and enjoy shu puer the rest of the day.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

+ Post Reply