Hey Bangkok Puerh Folks

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Feb 17th 16 12:21 am
Posts: 1
Joined: Feb 11th 16 12:16 pm

Re: Hey Bangkok Puerh Folks

by msimplym » Feb 17th 16 12:21 am

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

here is the photo of this shop. I was trying to upload it to the website, but stupid script not allow me to publish the photo without problem. So, my photo was published at Facebook. Welcome to watch there (another not best place)

User avatar
Aug 11th 16 5:15 am
Posts: 232
Joined: Dec 26th 13 3:59 am
Location: bangkok

Re: Hey Bangkok Puerh Folks

by john.b » Aug 11th 16 5:15 am

Here is a Google street view link for the JRT shop, which works as both a picture and location:

http://goo.gl/maps/CBcbN

Those are the two main places I know about related to carrying pu'er in Bangkok. A tea shop in Paradise Park mall not so far South of Thanya Park on Srinakarin Road might be worth a look (the one in the food court area is better than the one closer to the Villa grocery store on the other end), but I'd expect their offerings are limited and a bit basic compared to those other two places.

That recommendation is more about the search being part of the experience, and if someone is already at Thanya Park they're already down in that corner of Bangkok anyway. Now that I think of it there's no tea there but might as well go see Mega Bangna and IKEA too; they're around 10 minutes further out.

Jan 15th 19 7:36 am
Posts: 14
Joined: Jan 2nd 19 4:52 am
Location: Chiang Mai

Re: Hey Bangkok Puerh Folks

by Ludovitche » Jan 15th 19 7:36 am

john.b wrote: Here is a Google street view link for the JRT shop, which works as both a picture and location:

http://goo.gl/maps/CBcbN

Those are the two main places I know about related to carrying pu'er in Bangkok. A tea shop in Paradise Park mall not so far South of Thanya Park on Srinakarin Road might be worth a look (the one in the food court area is better than the one closer to the Villa grocery store on the other end), but I'd expect their offerings are limited and a bit basic compared to those other two places.

That recommendation is more about the search being part of the experience, and if someone is already at Thanya Park they're already down in that corner of Bangkok anyway. Now that I think of it there's no tea there but might as well go see Mega Bangna and IKEA too; they're around 10 minutes further out.
Is it still open ? StreetView seems to indicate there is a Hair salon instead...

User avatar
Mar 11th 19 5:33 am
Posts: 232
Joined: Dec 26th 13 3:59 am
Location: bangkok

Re: Hey Bangkok Puerh Folks

by john.b » Mar 11th 19 5:33 am

It's gone, as of at least a year ago. I wasn't in there frequently enough to do anything with a goodbye, which is always unfortunate since a store stock goes somewhere along with the personal connection / parting bit.

User avatar
Mar 12th 19 2:58 pm
Posts: 113
Joined: Jul 29th 11 2:48 pm
Location: Singapore, Malaysia

Re: Hey Bangkok Puerh Folks

by HifideliTea » Mar 12th 19 2:58 pm

TokyoB wrote: Photos would be great!
Bkk tea1.jpg
This is the hand braided tea. 2008 Bian Zhi Cha Kun Lun Xien Xing Wen Raw 400gm.
It's good clean tea when I had a tasting session at the shop.
Bkk tea 2.jpg
2009 Kun Lun Shan Ju You Yiwu Koo Raw 357 gm

Bought a toong each from the shop back in Jan 21012 when I was in Bkk.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mar 13th 19 7:07 am
Posts: 14
Joined: Jan 2nd 19 4:52 am
Location: Chiang Mai

Re: Hey Bangkok Puerh Folks

by Ludovitche » Mar 13th 19 7:07 am

john.b wrote: It's gone, as of at least a year ago. I wasn't in there frequently enough to do anything with a goodbye, which is always unfortunate since a store stock goes somewhere along with the personal connection / parting bit.
Thank you for the reply John.
I finally found a shop in Chiang Mai in wararot market that sells (Chiang Rai) puerh.
But mostly I buy online while in Thailand - including sometimes local online stores :
Already tried, can be slow but overall good service
http://www.puerteaonline.com/
http://www.misterpuerh.com/
Not tried yet, I cannot guarantee it's legit
http://www.teamasterstore.com/
http://www.taeteathai.com/
http://storetaetea.com/

Do you guys have any Thai websites to share, or any comment on these ?
I'll probably mostly order from YS and Chawang shop anyways, because I'm on a budget, and I don't read Thai... but I've got to collect shops, on top of collecting tea :)

Cheers,
J-N

User avatar
Mar 21st 19 3:37 am
Posts: 232
Joined: Dec 26th 13 3:59 am
Location: bangkok

Re: Hey Bangkok Puerh Folks

by john.b » Mar 21st 19 3:37 am

I can mention some alternatives worth looking into:

https://tea-side.com/ an online vendor, based out of Thailand and selling Thai teas

https://www.facebook.com/nanbangcha/ another online vendor, selling sheng produced in the North of Thailand. their white tea is pretty good too, to me, and they press the maocha they sell into tuochas. it's early to tell but the tea seems to be aging well.

For shops in Bangkok it gets trickier. The generally best regarded shop is in the Thanya Park mall, out not too far from the airport or the Bangna IKEA:

https://www.facebook.com/Tea-dee-1007597289293163/

My own favorites in Chinatown don't work as well as consistent, well-confirmed sources for sheng. Jip Eu might be worth checking out but they're mostly a Wuyi Yancha and TGY specialist, so I'd probably buy sheng from them that I try and like versus relying on them to screen real versions of higher value older teas. Sen Xing Fa sells a good bit of pu'er, but again I'd try to try teas before buying them, just because things come up related to confirming what's what.

Mar 21st 19 10:32 am
Posts: 14
Joined: Jan 2nd 19 4:52 am
Location: Chiang Mai

Re: Hey Bangkok Puerh Folks

by Ludovitche » Mar 21st 19 10:32 am

john.b wrote: I can mention some alternatives worth looking into:

https://tea-side.com/ an online vendor, based out of Thailand and selling Thai teas

https://www.facebook.com/nanbangcha/ another online vendor, selling sheng produced in the North of Thailand. their white tea is pretty good too, to me, and they press the maocha they sell into tuochas. it's early to tell but the tea seems to be aging well.

For shops in Bangkok it gets trickier. The generally best regarded shop is in the Thanya Park mall, out not too far from the airport or the Bangna IKEA:

https://www.facebook.com/Tea-dee-1007597289293163/

My own favorites in Chinatown don't work as well as consistent, well-confirmed sources for sheng. Jip Eu might be worth checking out but they're mostly a Wuyi Yancha and TGY specialist, so I'd probably buy sheng from them that I try and like versus relying on them to screen real versions of higher value older teas. Sen Xing Fa sells a good bit of pu'er, but again I'd try to try teas before buying them, just because things come up related to confirming what's what.
Thank you again John, Tea-side is definitively interesting.

User avatar
Mar 26th 19 10:07 am
Posts: 232
Joined: Dec 26th 13 3:59 am
Location: bangkok

Re: Hey Bangkok Puerh Folks

by john.b » Mar 26th 19 10:07 am

The only down-side with Tea Side is that they actually charge market value for teas, and there are other options out there that represent better bargains, if evaluation is limited to terms of quality to cost ratio.

There are no better options for Thai tea equivalents because there just aren't Thai options like they sell around, so looking for that form of value would involve switching countries.

The teas are probably a little better than standard reseller vendor versions, the main category of US based source options, and not as good as curator vendor options, but then those tend to cost more. Essence of Tea might work as a good example of one; I've not tried their tea, because I'm on the financially challenged side as tea drinkers go, but it's regarded as worth the extra expense per standard hearsay.

I really shouldn't "name names" in calling any vendor a standard reseller option. More direct sourcing can work out better but the channel through which a vendor bought tea doesn't necessarily determine how good the tea is or the value is, and the stories vendors tell aren't always true, related to how they source tea and well beyond that.

Apr 5th 19 8:43 am
Posts: 14
Joined: Jan 2nd 19 4:52 am
Location: Chiang Mai

Re: Hey Bangkok Puerh Folks

by Ludovitche » Apr 5th 19 8:43 am

I'm a beginner and I'm definitively on the financially challenged side.

I cannot afford to loose the tea I buy (mostly 12 years old sheng), and I see 2 issues looming : seasonal pollution in northern Thailand, and raining season.

Every year in March - April the air is saturated with smoke (mostly wood burning I think)... anyone wants smoky tea ?
I close the windows, use ziploc inside ziploc, and just hope the teas won't get the smell.

Second issue, how do you people living in Thailand handle humidity ?
To start with, is it really a problem ?

Will buying one of these (supposedly Yixing) small clay jars, that hold around 3-4 cakes, actually protect the cakes from humidity ?
Or should I go all plastic (ziploc + sealed container), and air it all out regularly ?
Or is the only way for you a fridge with some Boveda ? I really feel I don't have enough cakes (/time/money) to go that far, but if I really have to...

I did google it but Puer lovers seem to not agree much on storage...


Back to the money issue... When I see 200$ for a beeng, on Essence Of Tea, I'm not shocked, but I can't right now.
However, when I see 185$ for 10g of classic 7572 tea... To each his own, but it doesn't make no sense to me.

That idea that you absolutely need a reference (the mighty 7572 !) : I don't believe you do.
I'm French, I like Bordeaux, and I have never tried the best French wines available on the market.
I never will, and I don't desire to. No, really, I don't.
I drank a lot of wine... a lot of good ones, even some good 30 years old ones (a few times only), but never, ever anything famous.
So I'm no expert - yet I feel I've enjoyed wine much more than most people in this world.

I don't need Yiwu or Jingmai. There's plenty of other mountains that will do.
That said, I am curious and will buy a sample of that 30 years Thai tea... Some day.
And, again, to each his own.

Apr 25th 19 1:33 pm
Posts: 1
Joined: Apr 25th 19 1:27 pm

Re: Hey Bangkok Puerh Folks

by chadpeterson12 » Apr 25th 19 1:33 pm

Thank you for advice!