Comments prior to purchase?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Oct 18th, '09, 22:47

Re: Comments prior to purchase?

by jesper » Oct 18th, '09, 22:47

edkrueger wrote:I'd suggest you get some drink now stuff from either Mengku or Yong De, a Yong De ripe and this: http://www.nadacha.co.uk/index.php?page ... t&Itemid=1
Have you tried the 2009 Yong De? Are they similar in quality to the older cakes even though they are quite a lot cheaper?

Oct 18th, '09, 23:08

by edkrueger » Oct 18th, '09, 23:08

I have the sampler pack on the way. It should be arriving next week. The cheaper prices probably have more to do with the "bubble" bursting than the quality of the tea. Maybe Scott lower the prices to see if he could increase his profits. I don't know. I hope they are good. I might do a post on them, if I don't send me a PM in about a week.

Oct 18th, '09, 23:25

by odarwin » Oct 18th, '09, 23:25

TomVerlain wrote:For someone who "doesn't like young sheng" 2009 appears alot on your list .....

Realisticly, you might want to spend some time with what you have before placing another big order... just my two cents...
+1+1+1 :D

actually, all those are young sheng

Oct 19th, '09, 04:10

by oldmanteapot » Oct 19th, '09, 04:10

odarwin wrote:
TomVerlain wrote:For someone who "doesn't like young sheng" 2009 appears alot on your list .....

Realisticly, you might want to spend some time with what you have before placing another big order... just my two cents...
+1+1+1 :D

actually, all those are young sheng
+4 :D

Oct 19th, '09, 12:18

by jackdaniel » Oct 19th, '09, 12:18

The idea behind this next purchase it to build up a long-term collection. I'm looking for a few gems instead of lots of so-so cakes.

Any recommendations for good "drink it now" shu?

Thanks!

Oct 19th, '09, 15:02

by edkrueger » Oct 19th, '09, 15:02

I'd get something at least two or three years old.

Oct 19th, '09, 18:29
Scrolling: fixed

by TomVerlain » Oct 19th, '09, 18:29

I personally enjoy meng hai 7262

Oct 19th, '09, 19:16

by tony shlongini » Oct 19th, '09, 19:16

Of your list, these

2008 Bulang Wild Arbor Brick Export to Korea
2008 Xiaguan FT Happy Tuocha
2008 Xiaguan FT Mushroom Tuo Raw
2008 Menghai Tea Factory 8542 801 Raw
2008 Menghai Tea Factory 8582 801 Raw
2008 Menghai Tea Factory 7532-801 Raw

were all very good. The "no name" brick was a delightful surprise, the Menghai trio are standard-bearers, and the FT mushroom tuo was a killer.

Oct 20th, '09, 00:01

by odarwin » Oct 20th, '09, 00:01

jackdaniel wrote:The idea behind this next purchase it to build up a long-term collection. I'm looking for a few gems instead of lots of so-so cakes.

Any recommendations for good "drink it now" shu?

Thanks!
in my opinion, if you really want to look for gems, given all those 08 cakes that you have chosen, maybe its a good idea to wait for a few years... im sure there are still loads around by that time, since 08 saw lots of production runs. too many around to worry about stocks now, or at least thats what i was told. so dont rush. if you have loads of cash and its not an issue and i dont think it would really hurt you, but if you are particular about it, its still a lot of money involved.

i also have the same point of view as you, buy them when young to avoid high prices. im a bit doubtful on reviews, cause its very subjective, and i really believe that the final judge is still you and your body. now that said, i dont think anyone can really predict with certainty how 08 cakes would turn out this early on in its aging process.

what im doing right now actually is buying older cakes. early 00's to mid 90's or at least that's what my budget allows me. with that age range, some mildly wet stored cakes are already nice and drinkable. of course they are still astringent, but it beats having to buy something, waiting for it to age and probably have a chance of being disappointed in the end. at least with something semi aged, you already have an idea on how it is and you can enjoy it already.

as for a drink now shou, i think this is something thats quite good...

http://cgi.ebay.com/2005-Gong-Ting-Trib ... 518169802f

of all the ripe's that i got from YS, this ranks to me the best so far.
its still got wo dui taste but it disappears after a few brews. its creamy, and a bit bitter, but finishes nicely and comfortable to the body

Oct 20th, '09, 10:37

by jackdaniel » Oct 20th, '09, 10:37

Well, I'ms tarting to agree with the "one vs. many" idea that a few select beengs is better than many of lesser or unknown quality. That being said, what can you recommend from 1990 through 2000? What are the staples/classics that have aging potential and are enjoyable to drink now?

Oct 20th, '09, 11:38

by odarwin » Oct 20th, '09, 11:38

jackdaniel wrote:Well, I'ms tarting to agree with the "one vs. many" idea that a few select beengs is better than many of lesser or unknown quality. That being said, what can you recommend from 1990 through 2000? What are the staples/classics that have aging potential and are enjoyable to drink now?
what is your budget? you dont mind me asking...

this cake i have but i got from hong kong, and mine was a mild wet version, i tried both mild wet and dry and personally did not notice much difference. overall i like it and i think (at least for the wet stored version i got) was ok and drinkable already, but it is still astringent i must say.

http://www.houdeasianart.com/index.php? ... cts_id=555

-darwin

Oct 20th, '09, 16:41

by jackdaniel » Oct 20th, '09, 16:41

I'm looking to start a collection, which I understand can be a hefty investment. I'm looking to put together a few choice pieces, some for now, some for later, and stay under $300 USD.

Oct 20th, '09, 16:55

by AdamMY » Oct 20th, '09, 16:55

jackdaniel wrote:I'm looking to start a collection, which I understand can be a hefty investment. I'm looking to put together a few choice pieces, some for now, some for later, and stay under $300 USD.
If you are looking for some Aged puerh, Nada has a late 90's Huang Yin I highly recommend for wet storage. He also has a few other things worth looking at, such as perhaps a sample or a whole 300 gram order of the 80's Loose leaf wang zi.

But if you want samples of aged stuff to see if you like it I recommend going to houde under tea samples they have some '90's stuff which should give you an idea what aged tea can be.

but as for new stuff I'm not much help at all.

Oct 20th, '09, 22:16

by odarwin » Oct 20th, '09, 22:16

may i also suggest cloud's tea?
http://www.cloudsteahouse.com/

try getting all 3 pu's that he has to offer...
the ripe pu, the fine aged raw, and the precious aged raw.
when i asked him, he said that the fine aged raw is more or less 5 years old, and the precious aged raw is more or less 10 years.

i personally have the 2 aged raw and i do enjoy the precious aged raw very much. its a bit expensive, but i think quality wise its very nice.

i really think that those tea's can really give a glimpse of what to expect with pu erh in general. its a nice opener for you i think, plus all the samples of 90s or early 00's tea out there, i think you would be starting out good.

+ Post Reply