Puerh Storage in Low Humidity

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Nov 25th, '09, 23:07
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Puerh Storage in Low Humidity

by Chip » Nov 25th, '09, 23:07

... good to see Intuit is on the case ... :lol:

Nov 26th, '09, 10:37

by xogget » Nov 26th, '09, 10:37

Intuit wrote:>Bacteria have nothing on mold spores which can survive unusually angry environments.

Ha! You haven't met my extremophilic bacterial buddies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extremophiles

:lol:
Maybe storage in thermal vents is the next step in pu erh evolution

Nov 29th, '17, 05:22

by john.b » Nov 29th, '17, 05:22

I referred to this old thread in reviewing the issue again. It related to a separate discussion about framing humidity in absolute versus relative terms (as a proportion of water to air, by weight, instead of as a relative % of what the air will hold at that weight). That doesn't seem to get you very far, but it was interesting to consider it, and see it mapped out in psychrometric graphs.

Related to a vendor video about storage locations, and the wet and dry issue, I also added a section identifying climate conditions in Hong Kong, Malaysia, and Kunming.

http://teaintheancientworld.blogspot.co ... ative.html

Dec 1st, '17, 18:43

by Cwyn » Dec 1st, '17, 18:43

The primary organisms responsible for aging of puerh tea in the first phase is Aspergillus Niger to break down the cell walls, and in the later phase, Rhizopus to sweeten the juices released by the cell wall breakdown. These organisms are fungi, not molds and not bacteria. Comparisons with beer or sourdough are not inaccurate, the fermentation here is that of fruits and vegetables with no starter additive.

Other bacteria or molds present are by-products providing carbon for the fungi which is why a well-aged puerh tea (or well-ripened) will have these byproducts consumed fully in the process, making the beverage consumable without ill effects, while a too dry or too humid aging environment can cause too little fungal activity, or too high mold or bacteria count. Just to be on the safe side, a boiling rinse is a good idea especially if we don't know where that newly-acquired puerh has been.

My best teacher is failure. I can attest to the loss of flavor and vitality in storing tea too dry following the cardboard box method recommended by Cloud some years ago. Even with a bowl of water, my drier environment resulted in flavor loss, even in my shou puerh. In more recent years, along with finding a better storage method I have been looking to fail on the higher humidity end with tea samples in order to learn more. For me, the teas that do best under the higher humidity are, not surprising, the highly bitter, compressed and smoky factory teas.

Dec 1st, '17, 23:59
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Dec 1st, '17, 23:59

Cwyn wrote:For me, the teas that do best under the higher humidity are, not surprising, the highly bitter, compressed and smoky factory teas.
This is why traditional storage was a thing! I still feel those old recipes best suit the climate here as the leaves are more resistant to decomposition over the long term. Fancier stuff can sometimes lose a little too much complexity during rapid decomposition. I used to worry that my summer air conditioning here in HK was enough to disrupt my pu and added a shot glass of water to my bedroom storage cabinet; I now know there is absolutely no need for that, even with air conditioning.

+ Post Reply