Yak Drink

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Nov 5th, '09, 22:41

Re: Yak Drink

by Tea and coffee » Nov 5th, '09, 22:41

Intuit wrote:Salt might be added to curtail dehydration at high elevation, from them drinking so much tea to keep hydrated (high mountain air is desiccating).
Nobody said the Tibetans put sugar in tea.

Omega-3 fatty acids significantly modulate prostaglandin receptor activity. Prostanoids are majorass inflammatory agents.

Look at just how much inflammatory diseases we have.

Chickens used to free-roaming, consuming grass seeds, grains and insects. Their eggs were also good sources of omega-3 fats. Not any more.
Not sure about the Us, but in Canada we can buy Omage 3 eggs at the grocery store.
They are more expensive and come in a special packaging with a stamp on the eggs.

Also, we have liquid eggs with added omega 3 here also.

If you are looking for some exotic salts go to a natural food or gourmet food shop they usually have tons of different salts.
I have red hawaiian sea salt, french sea salt, new sealand sea salt, smoked sea salt.

The only himalayan salt I have seen around here in Canada is sold in these big blocks youa re supposed to keep in your house to "detoxify the air"
You can also buy candle holders at the vitamin store here.
The salt comes in a big orange/pinkish block.
I have never tried buying it as I do not need t o detoxify the air in my house,lol.

But I really think any sea salt would be fine, as if you are adding salt to the tea, the tea flavor overwhelms it and you won't get the salt flavor.

I actually had to add some alt to my tea a few weeks ago.
I was so dehydrated and my blood pressure felt extremely low and felt extremely faint...which is very bad.
tasted pretty yucky and kinda ruined my tea.
still better taste than powdered drinks.

Nov 6th, '09, 11:36

by nonc_ron » Nov 6th, '09, 11:36

I don't eat animal protein :Yak, Milk, butter, cheese, bacon and eggs.
That $#!T will kill you.
8-10 cups of tea a day is not unusual. (trying to get back on topic) :D

Nov 6th, '09, 14:59

by tony shlongini » Nov 6th, '09, 14:59

nonc_ron wrote:I don't eat animal protein :Yak, Milk, butter, cheese, bacon and eggs.
Plant murderer. :lol:
Wait until you find out that god is a carrot.......

Nov 6th, '09, 15:47
Scrolling: fixed

by Intuit » Nov 6th, '09, 15:47

"Wait until you find out that god is a carrot......."

This comment is CLASSIC! *ROTFLMAO*

Nov 6th, '09, 16:43

by nonc_ron » Nov 6th, '09, 16:43

ImageOMG I think I see him Image

Should I offer him some Yak Butter Tea. (Can't get off topic)
Last edited by nonc_ron on Nov 7th, '09, 18:46, edited 1 time in total.

Nov 7th, '09, 09:52

by slurp » Nov 7th, '09, 09:52

Intuit wrote:Oh yeah... you're the schmuck who thought that the raw sugar was salt.
*laughing*
and you're the schmuck who thinks that all this chemistry will make you better tea.

where's your sense of good manners? would you say this to someone face to face?

Nov 7th, '09, 10:03
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Nov 7th, '09, 10:03

War wrote:Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?

I seen you 'round for a long long time
I really 'membered you when you drink my (tea)

Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?

I seen you walkin' down in Chinatown
I called you but you could not look around

(you're the schmuck who thought that the raw sugar was salt.
... you're the schmuck who thinks that all this chemistry will make you better tea.)

Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?

Nov 7th, '09, 11:45

by slurp » Nov 7th, '09, 11:45

sorry chip, and sorry intuit, an ill thought out post. I guess I'm no better than anyone else in this matter.

I just hate to see someone belittled on the basis of an innocent question.

chip, I admire your tact in moderation - a job well done

slurp

Nov 7th, '09, 11:54

by Intuit » Nov 7th, '09, 11:54

Oiy, I should have posted 'just joking' or the razz emoticon (that I couldn't find) that Gingko employs *frequently* when she is posting a jesting comment, poking fun at a previous poster.

The whole thread is just banter, with a bit of interesting fact thrown in on why butter and salt would be used in tea.

nonroc (aka slurp) has been posting cool smilies for several weeks. I was poking fun at him that he couldn't find a carrot emoticon, in the manner of not knowing a pumpkin from a carrot (not knowing salt from sugar).

That is hardly a insult.

Nov 7th, '09, 14:12

by nonc_ron » Nov 7th, '09, 14:12

Thank you, Thank you very much.

Nov 7th, '09, 14:38

by Intuit » Nov 7th, '09, 14:38

Your carrot god emoticon
http://www.emofaces.com/emoticons/carrot-emoticon

I wonder how much caffeine is in yak tea. Forty cups a day average consumption of very strongly brewed tea..must be low, like 5-10 mg per cup.

Nov 7th, '09, 18:50

by nonc_ron » Nov 7th, '09, 18:50

Last edited by nonc_ron on Nov 19th, '09, 14:32, edited 1 time in total.

Nov 14th, '09, 17:42

by drumhum » Nov 14th, '09, 17:42

Tibetan tea might sound horrid. Tea with butter does not seem a good partnering. But its delicious!

Seriously folks. try the stuff before writing it off as some sort of weirdo foreign stuff.

A quick google brought this recipe...
http://www.tibet-tour.com/tibet/butter-tea.html

Ignore the claims of taking half a day or so to make the stuff. The key to this is...
1) tea must be strong. Boil the tea. Yes, put your tea in boiling water, in a pan and keep boiling it for a good 5 or ten mins. or longer.
2) Use appropriate tea - I have used "ordinary" loose-leaf black tea (like from my local supermarket. PG tips). Much better to use Tibetan black tea. This is just raw puerh as far as I can tell, of pretty low quality (at least the stuff I bought from YS is). Its not really the sort of stuff you'd gong fu with but don't get me wrong, its not terrible, just not gourmet!
3) Use lots of butter. Far more than you'd think - like a good tablespoon full for a couple of cups. The butter calms the bitterness of the tea so it depends a bit on how strong you've made the tea.
4) whip whip whip! Pour all the ingredients into your blender and thrash it for as long as you can stand The tibetans use a type of churn and sort of pump it for at least 20 mins or so. It should be thick and frothy.

how much salt you need depends a little on how much is in your butter to begin with. But salt is very much needed in this drink. it stops the butter tasting too smooth and thick.

Add some milk too if you want a more creamy taste.
Some might like sugar but I didn't feel it needed any.

It is delicious for cold winter days. It warms your soul like any hot milky drink (eg hot chocolate, horlix). It is not "weird" - the taste is surprisingly familiar somehow.

Before I tasted the stuff I Imagined the butter would make it sickly or "fatty". It doesn't. It makes it milky and smooth. You can sense the fat on your lips and mouth but its a quite pleasant.

But you have to taste it to know it I guess.

The ideal drink to use up that puerh that turned out to be a bad a buy! (and we've all got some of that!)

Everyone must try it.
Go on!

Nov 15th, '09, 08:38

by Ti » Nov 15th, '09, 08:38

I finally decided to go through the trouble to make this. This is good stuff and I'll be making it more often. I’ll reiterate drumhums’ description since I couldn’t improve on it: “It is delicious for cold winter days. It warms your soul like any hot milky drink (eg hot chocolate, horlix). It is not "weird" - the taste is surprisingly familiar somehow.” Familiar indeed. Funny how it resembled hot chocolate.

I based my tea on this:

Po Cha ( Tibetan Butter Tea )
Ingredients:
Water
Plain black tea (in bags or loose)
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup milk or 1 teaspoon milk powder

First boil five to six cups of water, then turn down the fire. Put two bags of tea or one heaping tablespoon of loose tea in the water and boil again for a couple of minutes. Take out the tea bags or if you use loose tea, strain the tea leaves. Pour your tea, one quarter of a teaspoon of salt, two tablespoons of butter, and a half cup of milk or a teaspoon of milk powder into a blender. Blend the mixture for two or three minutes. Serve the tea right away, since po cha is best when it's very hot.

What I actually did:

4 cups water
2 tea bags (could have used more I think)
boil tea for around 7 minutes.

When done put in blender with,
2 tblspn butter
¼ tsp salt
½ cup half and half since that’s what I had.

Nov 17th, '09, 22:15

by Tea and coffee » Nov 17th, '09, 22:15

It really does not sound that "bad'.
Kind of reminds me of what a hot hoiday drink would be like the teture of "white" hot chcolate, hot chai tea...I have seen warm blennder drinks before.
I would also say tea with milk whipped would be like starbucks frappucino-exept hot.

I will have to try it this week sometime,

+ Post Reply