Yak Drink

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Nov 3rd, '09, 17:43

Yak Drink

by braven » Nov 3rd, '09, 17:43

I've heard that the Tibetans make a very thick drink with Pu and yak cream. It's supposed to be real addicting.
Muuuusst have yaaak driiink :shock:

Nov 3rd, '09, 19:15

Re: Yak Drink

by nonc_ron » Nov 3rd, '09, 19:15

A little salt and a lot of yak butter.
I wonder what the life span is in Tibet.

Nov 3rd, '09, 19:47

by aKnightWhoSaysNi » Nov 3rd, '09, 19:47

According to this graph it's the lowest in China: http://www.china-profile.com/data/fig_pop_1a.htm

Nov 4th, '09, 00:25

by pgho » Nov 4th, '09, 00:25

aKnightWho... wrote:According to this graph it's the lowest in China: http://www.china-profile.com/data/fig_pop_1a.htm
Yunnan is marginally better and both regions drink plenty of pu :shock:

As for as yak butter milk tea, I think it is an acquired taste. Same comment regarding pu too, especially for beginners. "What is this, it tastes like dead bugs in pond water". Imagine after acquiring the taste you need to pay >USD200 each for some of these dusty beeng. ahahaha

Nov 4th, '09, 10:48

by nonc_ron » Nov 4th, '09, 10:48

aKnightWhoSaysNi wrote:According to this graph it's the lowest in China:
Oh yer good.Image
Here's some Sea Salt, Yak Butter and Tibetan tea.
Lets see you drink some, I dare you.
This is some nasty looking sea salt!
Looks like it was scraped from a muddy beach on a dead sea.
Last edited by nonc_ron on Nov 19th, '09, 14:37, edited 1 time in total.

Nov 4th, '09, 12:04

by nonc_ron » Nov 4th, '09, 12:04

Copied from another tea vender.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWNX:IT
"It is a very important tea to make butter tea, also known as su you cha, is a drink of the Tibetans and Chinese minorities in southwestern China. It is also consumed in Bhutan. It is made from puer tea leaves, yak butter, and salt.
To make the best butter-tea, the tea is first boiled for half a day, till it gets dark brown. After being skimmed, it is shaken several times in a cylinder with some fresh yak butter and salt. It is one of the best drinks among the best circles in Tibet, who drink it every morning. It is usually mixed with what is called tsu and baked flour. Drinking butter tea is a regular part of Tibetan life. Before work, a Tibetan will typically down several bowlfuls of this tangy beverage, and it is always served to guests. Nomads are said to often drink up to 40 cups of it a day."

40 cups a day, This is why I ask whats their life span.Image

Nov 4th, '09, 12:34

by betta » Nov 4th, '09, 12:34

nonc_ron wrote: This is some nasty looking sea salt!
Looks like it was scraped from a muddy beach on a dead sea.

That's not sea salt, in fact those are sugar bricks. Kind of palm sugar or sort of that you can find in asian supermarkets. The color looks unrefined because it contains a lot of natural organic substances from the palm, which give nice aroma to this kind of sugar.
But I really can't imagine what would be the taste of tea+salt+sugar+butter :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
In Japan, a new genre of popular noodle soup is served with butter melting into the soup.. maybe these kind of "butter dishes" are new evolution direction :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Nov 4th, '09, 15:23
Scrolling: fixed

by Intuit » Nov 4th, '09, 15:23

Yak butter is high in omega-3 unsaturated fats. Puerh teas also have unusual chemistry due to fermentation.

Tibet and Yunnan are both mountainous, with low ratio of farmable land to person. Lower life expectancy among herder/migratory minorities in these areas is said to be due to injury among men, higher cancer rates (than Han majority) among women and considerable infectious and noninfectious respiratory disease. Probably related to difficulty in receiving adequate medical care for mobile peoples, with low rates of childhood immunization, and documented issues of water pollution and poor indoor air (cooking fires).

These are problems that even massive quantities of tea cannot overcome.

Nov 4th, '09, 22:36

by jackdaniel » Nov 4th, '09, 22:36

Anyone got a recipe for this stuff? After "googling" it I found nothing.

Nov 5th, '09, 03:40

by Tea and coffee » Nov 5th, '09, 03:40

Could you use goat milk for this instead? or goat milk butter?

My mother hates regular cow milk and always buys Meyenberg powdered goat milk online.
Whole foods has it and it is $16 for a 500 gram jar, but Vitaminshoppe.com has it for $8 plus $3 shipping or free ship if you spend $99.

Meyenberg also makes goat milk butter and fresh goat milk.
I have never tried it though...i like rice milk only.

There is also discount codes for vitaminshoppe online if you look.
I just spent $99 on goat milk powder for my mother online-she does not live near whole foods and uses 2 x containers a week for stuff...

Nov 5th, '09, 12:00

by pgho » Nov 5th, '09, 12:00

Intuit wrote:Tibet and Yunnan are both mountainous, ..... with low rates of childhood immunization, and documented issues of water pollution and poor indoor air (cooking fires).

These are problems that even massive quantities of tea cannot overcome.
Hi Intuit,

I guess you nailed that down correctly. Btw, Guangdong which is high in the longevity list is the puerh drinking capital of the world. :roll:

Jackdaniel,
try this link, http://yowangdu.com/index.php?option=co ... Itemid=173
Please feedback on your experience .. :mrgreen:

To be more authentic maybe you should also use Himalayan mountain salt. These salts usually have a orange or red hue. :lol:

Betta,
Yes, palm sugar (gula melaka) is nice, great with sago pudding. The french had been adding butter and cream to their soups for a long long time. But yak butter is probably hard to come by. :lol:

Nov 5th, '09, 14:11

by nonc_ron » Nov 5th, '09, 14:11

Intuit wrote:Yak butter is high in omega-3 unsaturated fats.
ImageI'm having a hard time swallowing this. :?

Nov 5th, '09, 14:58

by Intuit » Nov 5th, '09, 14:58

Oh yeah... you're the schmuck who thought that the raw sugar was salt.
*laughing*

From my old stomping grounds in Eastern WA:
http://moscowfood.coop/meat/yak.html

Yak butter tea supplies much needed dietary energy for Tibetan herders. The pu helps with fat digestion and provides an excellent probiotic consortia for healthy gut, not so far removed from the lactobacillus dominated communities we get from eating yogurt.

Any wholly grass-fed animal will produce fat stores, with relatively lean meat and milk that is enriched in omega-3 fats.

Meat in the US used to be omega-3 enriched this way, before farmers discovered the cheap means to feed their animals in CAFO (confined area feedlot operations) - fermented corn husks, known as 'silage'.

Silage contain very little omega-3 fats. This has resulted in interesting health repercussions for the cattle and for humans (and their pets) that consume dairy and meat products from silage-fed cattle CAFOs.

Nov 5th, '09, 20:24

by nonc_ron » Nov 5th, '09, 20:24

Last edited by nonc_ron on Nov 19th, '09, 14:34, edited 1 time in total.

Nov 5th, '09, 20:59

by Intuit » Nov 5th, '09, 20:59

Salt might be added to curtail dehydration at high elevation, from them drinking so much tea to keep hydrated (high mountain air is desiccating).
Nobody said the Tibetans put sugar in tea.

Omega-3 fatty acids significantly modulate prostaglandin receptor activity. Prostanoids are majorass inflammatory agents.

Look at just how much inflammatory diseases we have.

Chickens used to free-roaming, consuming grass seeds, grains and insects. Their eggs were also good sources of omega-3 fats. Not any more.

+ Post Reply