Pu-erh in New Mexico?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Nov 15th, '09, 04:49

Pu-erh in New Mexico?

by iluvt2 » Nov 15th, '09, 04:49

Hello, all!
I have quite an extensive pu-erh collection - both sheng and shu - actually, including many old beengs of sheng. We are moving from the Bay Area (S.F.,CA) to Santa Fe, New Mexico. I cannot afford a large humidor for my tea. Is it feasible to keep the collection? I know the humidity is a lot lower than it is in the East Bay. Help! :?:

Nov 15th, '09, 13:08

Re: Pu-erh in New Mexico?

by AdamMY » Nov 15th, '09, 13:08

I do not see why moving would force you to get rid of your collection. If you are worried about humidity perhaps keep it in the same room you prepare tea in. Surely it will get a bit of an extra boost in humidity from the boiling kettle. Though If you prepare tea in the kitchen it probably should be avoided.

There have been posts:
http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=11148

which addresses the topic of aging in low humidity.

Nov 15th, '09, 13:40

by hop_goblin » Nov 15th, '09, 13:40

NM is not great for pu. You will certainly need to find an alternative method. There are few humidification systems that need or require much resources. Just do some research. Giving away your pu collection is like giving away your family dog! DonT DO DO IT!

Nov 15th, '09, 22:19

by oldmanteapot » Nov 15th, '09, 22:19

hop_goblin wrote:There are few humidification systems that need or require much resources. Just do some research. Giving away your pu collection is like giving away your family dog! DonT DO DO IT!
+1 :mrgreen:

Cheers!

Nov 16th, '09, 22:44

by tingjunkie » Nov 16th, '09, 22:44

Congrats. Santa Fe is amazing- lived there for three years myself! I am just a pu newb, but from what I understand, dry climates will only stop the pu from aging. I think your concern would be that it is so dry there (and it is) that the oils in the tea could evaporate too. Perhaps start storing your tea in vacuum sealed bags? Like I said though, I'm kind talking over my head, and others may give you better advice.

Brew up a nice thermos of pu and drink it here. In case you didn't already know about this place. Enjoy!

Nov 17th, '09, 18:45

by nonc_ron » Nov 17th, '09, 18:45

iluvt2 wrote:I cannot afford a large humidor for my tea.
You don't need a humidor at all, Use a closet almost all houses have one. :D

Nov 17th, '09, 18:50

by Maitre_Tea » Nov 17th, '09, 18:50

I think that many people are underestimating just how dry it is here (I live in Southern California, so I know). This used to be a desert, where no one should be really living anyway, if you think about it. But I think the largest effects of RH and stuff are "equalized" by the effects of air conditioning, which puts many of us on the the same kind of playing field, for the most part.

So keep you pu-erh in the closet, and maybe try cheaper tricks like the medusa method or something...but make sure there's ventiliation (though I doubt in such dry climates the risk of mold is a high possibility). Aging pu-erh in North America is such a new phenomenon, we really won't know the effects of aging in different regions for a few more years or so.

So my advice would be to just accept that your pu-erh isn't going to age as fast as it would anywhere else, and if you can'ta accept that...mail all your pu-erh to me! :mrgreen:

Nov 17th, '09, 21:48

by nonc_ron » Nov 17th, '09, 21:48

Maitre_Tea wrote: So my advice would be to just accept that your pu-erh isn't going to age as fast as it would anywhere else, and if you can'ta accept that...mail all your pu-erh to me! :mrgreen:
No No Mail it to me!

If you decide to keep them buy a towel rack. Put it on the back wall about 2 foot off the floor. Let the towel hang in a basin of water. Point a small table fan at the basin of water. Done. :D If you don't want to spend a lot money a long nail will do. :lol:

Dec 17th, '09, 00:20

by zhi zheng » Dec 17th, '09, 00:20

What kind of house are you moving in to? An old adobe is probably preferable to a more modern design or a timber frame house as it will keep more stable temperatures and humidity.

Air-conditioning and natural gas fires will dry the air out even more but many people in Santa Fe use humidifiers to maintain a more comfortable environment, in which case, maybe you won't need to do anything special - just find a cooler (in the summer), more humid corner of the house such as the previously suggested closet, that is away from draughts and accept that the tea is going to age slowly.

There are a couple of tea shops in Santa Fe. Have you asked them what special measures they take in storing there Puer?

Dec 17th, '09, 23:53

by tingjunkie » Dec 17th, '09, 23:53

zhi zheng wrote: There are a couple of tea shops in Santa Fe. Have you asked them what special measures they take in storing there Puer?
Really? Please fill me in on these secret spots- unless they are new within the last year or two, I missed them. :shock:

Dec 18th, '09, 02:19

by zhi zheng » Dec 18th, '09, 02:19

Just noticed the mistake - 'their puer'.

One place is 'The Tea House' on Canyon Rd. The other is 'Ohori's'. They have a couple of shops but are more coffee than tea.

There's also a place in the centre of town. Can't remember the name - in a kind of small mall-like area - seems like it's 'Zen-something-or-other'.

I haven't been there for a few years but the first two are surely still running.

Dec 19th, '09, 23:15

by tingjunkie » Dec 19th, '09, 23:15

Wow. Amazing I could have missed those in a small town like that! Gotta love Santa Fe- always new surprises to find. :D

+ Post Reply