Consistency of Puerh

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Sep 18th, '10, 10:05

Consistency of Puerh

by auhckw » Sep 18th, '10, 10:05

I've previously heard that there are Up and Down times of Puerh. Finally I've experienced what this mean.

I have one Ripe Pu, stored in living room with no air conditioned. Sometimes my living room can be quite hot. When I tasted it about 2 weeks back it was really bad. It is basically flat and flavorless. Today I gave it a try, and it is back to its supposed taste when I first purchased it.

I have another Raw Pu left in office which is air conditioned most of the time. Currently I am experiencing the same thing. It is also flat and flavorless. I wonder when will it return back to its Up time. Going to taste a little once every 2 weeks. I hope it is not because of aircond storage issue.

I wonder is there an explanation as in why there is a Up and Down. Is it because of the Humid? Is it because of the temperature? Are there ways to maintain consistent Up? Any comments?

Sep 18th, '10, 15:01
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Consistency of Puerh

by Drax » Sep 18th, '10, 15:01

I store my pu'erh in one spot, so I can't that I've noticed variations from storage conditions.

I do, however, noticed difference based on me -- in particular, my health, and my recent food intake. If my allergies are acting up, that can easily dull my sense of taste. Also, if I've recently eaten certain food, that can alter my taste capability as well (rather like when you brush your teeth and then drink orange juice.... yuck!).

But this is my experience in the matter... I've noticed these two things seem to affect how the tea tastes regardless. A good check would be to have somebody else try the tea when it tastes lifeless to you (assuming they're not in the same physical state)....

+ Post Reply