TaoBao Proxy?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jan 22nd, '14, 13:57

Re: TaoBao Proxy?

by betta » Jan 22nd, '14, 13:57

This winter my spouse and I made a complete different experiences with two taobao proxies.

I made a very good experience with taobao tube from ordering a ceramic tea tray.
The processing is super fast and taobao tube was always reachable, also through e-mail and we are always kept updated of the status. The tea tray was packed very well and safe and not exaggerating that the customer really pays for the necessary weight. The express shipping fee is very reasonable. And I appreciate very much their honesty with the shipping. For all of these reasons, I recommend them highly.

My spouse, who ordered earlier that I, made an unpleasant experience with taobao focus from buying two gaiwans. At the first glance, the service fee is more competitive. However at the end we were surprised by the highly inflated airmail shipping fee despite the delivery time, which could up to 40 days according to their website.

Could you believe that with Taobao Tube we paid the same shipping cost for DHL express (4 days delivery) as the 40 days airmail shipping of taobao focus? Moreover, the weight of DHL express shipment is 50% heavier than the airmail from taobao focus!

Added to that, the packaging of taobao focus is improper; when complained, they told us not to order porcelain again from taobao.

From this experience we would like to suggest tea friends to put priorities on customer service and professionalism over the service fee that initially seems to be more competitive.
Last edited by betta on Jan 24th, '14, 14:20, edited 1 time in total.

Jan 22nd, '14, 22:07

by AllanK » Jan 22nd, '14, 22:07

shogun89 wrote:I have used TaoBao Focus twice with great results
I just put in an order with Taobao Focus for a Yixing teapot. I did not spend a lot, only $32. We will see how much shipping costs. They charge you for that later, apparently. Having gone onto the taobao.com site I would not attempt to order directly.

Jan 22nd, '14, 23:26

by Exempt » Jan 22nd, '14, 23:26

AllanK wrote:
I just put in an order with Taobao Focus for a Yixing teapot. I did not spend a lot, only $32. We will see how much shipping costs. They charge you for that later, apparently. Having gone onto the taobao.com site I would not attempt to order directly.
You couldn't order directly even if you wanted to, you need a card or account number from china

Jan 23rd, '14, 00:45

by wert » Jan 23rd, '14, 00:45

Exempt wrote: You couldn't order directly even if you wanted to, you need a card or account number from china
Not true anymore. Mastercard,visa etc do work for the majority of the vendors. For an additional fee of 3(?)%, of course.

Jan 23rd, '14, 02:01

by Exempt » Jan 23rd, '14, 02:01

wert wrote:
Exempt wrote: You couldn't order directly even if you wanted to, you need a card or account number from china
Not true anymore. Mastercard,visa etc do work for the majority of the vendors. For an additional fee of 3(?)%, of course.
Don't they have to be attached to a chinese address though?

Jan 23rd, '14, 02:10

by wert » Jan 23rd, '14, 02:10

Exempt wrote:
wert wrote:
Don't they have to be attached to a chinese address though?
Nope

Jan 23rd, '14, 11:58

by betta » Jan 23rd, '14, 11:58

AllanK wrote:
Perhaps after reading this testimonial, they'll reduce it. Before ordering, I was curious about the information in their FAQ about returning the item back because of the high shipping. Some people must have cancelled the orders also due to the highly inflated shipping.

Yixing teapot is a fragile item.....

Jan 25th, '14, 00:13

by AllanK » Jan 25th, '14, 00:13

betta wrote:
AllanK wrote:
Perhaps after reading this testimonial, they'll reduce it. Before ordering, I was curious about the information in their FAQ about returning the item back because of the high shipping. Some people must have cancelled the orders also due to the highly inflated shipping.

Yixing teapot is a fragile item.....
I am not worried about a Yixing teapot being fragile. I have bought at least 20 or 30 Yixing or glass items from China on Ebay and never got one broken or cracked. One package from China looked like it had been used as a football, the teapots were intact. The Chinese in the tea business seem to be very good at packaging teapots. The only time a glass item ever showed up broken it was from Puerhshop. They did replace it for free.

Jan 25th, '14, 02:17

by betta » Jan 25th, '14, 02:17

AllanK wrote: One package from China looked like it had been used as a football, the teapots were intact. The Chinese in the tea business seem to be very good at packaging teapots. The only time a glass item ever showed up broken it was from Puerhshop. They did replace it for free.
You're lucky with that football package :mrgreen:

The difference between buying directly through vendor and through proxy, is that the responsibility of taobao seller ends once the item is passed to proxy and the buyer confirm the photo. Once the item leaves the proxy, we depend on the packaging and professionality of the taobao proxy. There will be no replacement from the seller when things go wrong.

+ Post Reply