Complete Pu'er Newbie Looking for Help

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Mar 24th, '12, 14:40
Vendor Member

Re: Complete Pu'er Newbie Looking for Help

by SilentChaos » Mar 24th, '12, 14:40

True, I guess the best way to find out the difference between an aged ripe and an aged raw is to taste them. I just thought the whole point of a ripe puer is that it supposed to imitate the taste of an aged raw puerh, so I don't get why ripe puerhs are aged....

Mar 24th, '12, 15:01

by AdamMY » Mar 24th, '12, 15:01

SilentChaos wrote:True, I guess the best way to find out the difference between an aged ripe and an aged raw is to taste them. I just thought the whole point of a ripe puer is that it supposed to imitate the taste of an aged raw puerh, so I don't get why ripe puerhs are aged....
Ripe puerh is to imitate aged Raw puerh, but even then its just an imitation. ( Think powdered creamer vs actual half and half/ cream for coffee). But new ripe puerh often has heavy decomposing flavors/ aroma's which can sometimes remind people of swamp water. While you can still find similar flavors in horrible aged raw puerh, the ripe puerh will have these flavors through out the few steeps it offers before it gives up the ghost so to speak. While sometimes with aged puerh, you just need to dump the first few infusions to get to the good/ better infusions then just keep on drinking it forever. The aging of ripe puerh comes into play, as it tends to loose the swamp like character with some age. So while people rarely age a ripe puerh for more than 10 years as its usually quite drinkable aver 2-3, its done to make it more palatable.

Mar 24th, '12, 15:21
Vendor Member

by SilentChaos » Mar 24th, '12, 15:21

Aaahhh :idea: :D Now I understand. Thank you AdamMy for this enlightening information. Very much appreciated. Thanks to MarshalN, G-off-re, TomVerlain, gingkoseto, shah82 and tst as well for all the help and advice. Now I have a good idea what I'm looking for (aged ripe and longer-aged raw from good factories/vendors). :mrgreen:

+ Post Reply