Taobao review thread?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Sep 21st, '12, 03:56

Taobao review thread?

by MarshalN » Sep 21st, '12, 03:56

Just curious - do people here use Taobao much?

It might be useful for people to post reviews, thoughts, comments on cakes that they've bought on Taobao. A lot of the cakes on Taobao are, well, mediocre, at best. It's good to know what's good and what's not. Sometimes some amazing looking things on Taobao are crap, while other crap have been decent.

Sep 21st, '12, 04:42
Vendor Member

Re: Taobao review thread?

by TwoDog2 » Sep 21st, '12, 04:42

I don't throw the dice on Taobao as much as I used to. I bought a 19 RMB Naka labeled cake out of morbid curiosity recently. I just wanted to see what a $3 357g raw cake labeled Naka could possibly be.

I haven't found any real treasure on taobao lately. This thread is a good idea though, I will post that Naka on here later when I have the link and some pics.

Sep 21st, '12, 04:54

by MarshalN » Sep 21st, '12, 04:54

I did some Taobaoing recently, and have some old purchases that I should mention as not very good, so people don't have to waste money after me

Sep 21st, '12, 05:16
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Sep 21st, '12, 05:16

My Taobao cake purchase got refunded as they had issues with EMS in Kunming, so I'm still waiting to buy my first cake on there. This thread's a great idea.

Sep 21st, '12, 08:52

by gasninja » Sep 21st, '12, 08:52

Jayinhk I gotta ask. Why would someone who lives in one of the best cities in the world for pu-erh, go trolling Taobao to roll the dice on a random cake? I can see why Marshaln would as he is the Tea Addict , and we all know addicts always try to have multiple sources to get there fix . I would be happy if there was one shop that sold decent pu-erh within a fifty mile radius of me. You can't walk down the block with out tripping over a guy selling bings in the street. I'm not saying you shouldnt buy stuff off of taoboa. I guess I would just think there would be enough in HK to keep me busy for a while, without the pitfalls associated with buying a cake from taobao.

Sep 21st, '12, 09:55
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Sep 21st, '12, 09:55

gasninja wrote:I would be happy if there was one shop that sold decent pu-erh within a fifty mile radius of me. You can't walk down the block with out tripping over a guy selling bings in the street.
:D

Fair question: I just want good deals on known bengs, especially sheng, and the variety of what's available online as far as known cakes far exceeds what I can buy in stores around me. Then again, the issue of fake tea is a big one, but I think I'm starting to figure out how to determine the good sellers from the bad ones. I've been buying on Taobao for quite a while (just not tea). As far as ready to drink shu, however, there is no shortage of that in the neighborhood for sure!
Last edited by jayinhk on Sep 21st, '12, 10:07, edited 1 time in total.

Sep 21st, '12, 10:07

by MarshalN » Sep 21st, '12, 10:07

For younger raw cakes, HK isn't too good - the choices are actually relatively limited.

Sep 21st, '12, 10:16
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Sep 21st, '12, 10:16

MarshalN wrote:For younger raw cakes, HK isn't too good - the choices are actually relatively limited.
Absolutely, I've only been tea obsessed for a few weeks and I see that. The stores specialize in supplying the drinkers, and in this area, the restaurants, and people here are all about the shu. It's only the serious tea heads who go hunting down raw cakes for their personal stashes. A few stores seem to carry raw cakes with their own labels (again, at a premium) and others seem to charge premiums for standard cakes of aged sheng. Then there's the guy you told me not to go to who is supposedly a scammer. :lol:

Taobao is huge here in HK. It's cheap and easy to ship from China to HK by courier, and the amount of stuff available on there is staggering. I just bought a variety of kung fu shoes on there in US size 13. That is definitely not something you can find here in HK, and believe me, I've tried!

Sep 22nd, '12, 13:01

by MarshalN » Sep 22nd, '12, 13:01

http://trade.taobao.com/trade/detail/tr ... 6963455153

Let me get started, even though this cake is off the market now

Advertised as Guafengzhai but not priced like one. It's a good looking cake. Tried it today - not too bad, but probably Simao tea.

Sep 23rd, '12, 00:55

by Maxwell2079 » Sep 23rd, '12, 00:55

I've placed one order to test the service and the stuff arrived sefely. However, the customs in China or in my country, don't know, opened the stuff to checked it.

Got a couple of 2011 Xiaguan FT Bao Yan mushrooms. Which I have previously got from YNNS as well. I compared them and they are the same to my palate. I suppose the faking problem comes with pricey stuff and not the cheap stuff.

This is the seller which I got it from:
http://shop33274476.taobao.com/?spm=2013.1.1000126.3

However, I am not sure how to check if the seller is reliable or not. I don't speak mandarin. I know there is like a box showing its reputation but when I translate with google is not really clear. Here is an example from the seller I mentioned above:

Ultimate Warrior

The dynamic ratings with peers than

The description matches: 4.9 higher than the 39.51%
Service attitude: 4.9 higher than the 32.80%
Delivery speed: 4.9 higher than 24.72%
Rate: 99.63% baby number: 538
Record Shop in time: 2005-09-24

Here is in Mandarin:

终极战士

动态评分 与同行比

描述相符:4.9 高于39.51%
服务态度:4.9 高于32.80%
发货速度:4.9 高于24.72%
好评率:99.63% 宝贝数:538
创店时间:2005-09-24

If anyone cant help me with this I will appreciate it.
I am looking for something that shows how many sales the seller has. Not that the amount of sales will prevent me from getting a fake tea but at least is something.

Sep 23rd, '12, 01:53

by MarshalN » Sep 23rd, '12, 01:53

Orders for cakes that are from XG probably won't be fake - it's not worth the effort, when you can fake Dayi and get more money.

Each individual item has reviews, and those are more useful than a seller's overall rating. You can find those above the little tabs on top of the item description

Edit: Now that I think about it, since you don't read Chinese, that's not useful. Instead, if you want to know how many times an item has been sold in the past 30 days, you can see it under the price of the item in question - the little orange number that says this 30天售出:0件 . This item has been sold 0 times in the past 30 days

Sep 23rd, '12, 04:19
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Sep 23rd, '12, 04:19

Ultimate Warrior's feedback and ratings look very good: just bought raw two cakes as a test.

Sep 23rd, '12, 10:09
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Sep 23rd, '12, 10:09

gasninja wrote:Jayinhk I gotta ask. Why would someone who lives in one of the best cities in the world for pu-erh, go trolling Taobao to roll the dice on a random cake?
If you live within any practical geographic (or mailing service) range of taobao, shopping on taobao is almost inevitable :D Even though I'm not within a practical range of taobao, my wardrobe is becoming 50% taobao :P And I guess it would have been 80% if I lived in China. Not that I couldn't buy good clothing stuff in the States (not enough for short people indeed...), but I mostly do online shopping anyway even when I buy from chain stores in the States, so to avoid spending time in the mall.

Sep 23rd, '12, 10:13
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Sep 23rd, '12, 10:13

For large puerh sellers on taobao, I feel a black list is more useful than a list of good sellers. There are numerous sellers that sell new sheng without a problem. Usually if you heard of someone selling fake tea, chances are 99% of their new sheng is still good, but then you may want to stay away from them.

Sep 23rd, '12, 11:54
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Sep 23rd, '12, 11:54

i think a list of good sellers is much better to help wade through the overall chaff, perhaps with notes on what's good (or bad) about each one. I know as a newbie, I don't have the fake cake identification skills a lot of the very experienced members here do. I'm learning a little more from them every day. Here's hoping the two cakes I picked up today are ok. The tea itself looks ok to my untrained eyes, and is hopefully drinkable, even if they're fake. The reviews on the more expensive one seem positive though.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=15644452448

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=15205839717

+ Post Reply