Anyone tried this pu from mountain tea?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Dec 7th, '12, 16:59

Re: Anyone tried this pu from mountain tea?

by Poohblah » Dec 7th, '12, 16:59

Yes, shu pu in general tastes like earth, mud, dirt, grass. Young sheng pu tends to taste more like green tea.

I would stay away from almost all puerh from Western vendors (e.g., Adagio) because they tend to be poor quality shu pu, which can taste quite offensive if it especially bad.

Dec 7th, '12, 17:18

by mageta » Dec 7th, '12, 17:18

Poohblah wrote:Yes, shu pu in general tastes like earth, mud, dirt, grass. Young sheng pu tends to taste more like green tea.

I would stay away from almost all puerh from Western vendors (e.g., Adagio) because they tend to be poor quality shu pu, which can taste quite offensive if it especially bad.
So it seems like sheng pu is preferable to shu, and the former has a more complex flavor. I understand that yunan sourcing is a good vendor for pu, would this be a good place to go after I finish the cake I just got?

Dec 7th, '12, 18:36

by Poohblah » Dec 7th, '12, 18:36

mageta wrote:So it seems like sheng pu is preferable to shu, and the former has a more complex flavor. I understand that yunan sourcing is a good vendor for pu, would this be a good place to go after I finish the cake I just got?
In general, yes. Ultimately, it seems, most pu drinkers seek out well-aged sheng pu. Of course, there is good shu and there is bad sheng, and for everyday drinking, you can find drinkable, affordable cakes of either. But for once-in-a-lifetime tea experiences, there is nothing like an extraordinary aged sheng. Or so I hear. I'm not a huge pu drinker, and just one cake can last me a long long time, so my experience is limited. Based on the things I have tried, I would say that a mellow sheng with a few years of aging is generally more interesting than any kind of shu.

Yunnan Sourcing is a fantastic source for pu. Look around on the pu forum for advice on where to start. Go with samples until you're ready to commit to a whole cake.

+ Post Reply