How do you get the best re-steep?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Feb 23rd, '13, 14:01

How do you get the best re-steep?

by futurebird » Feb 23rd, '13, 14:01

I have heard that it is best to try to strain the leaves as much as possible between steepings. So, I spend time shaking the gaiwan until all of the drops are gone. Do you do the same? How is it important?

I have also heard that when drinking a tea for the 2nd day, overnight you want the leaves to be damp, but as strained as possible. (seems like a contradiction)

Is that true? How do you prepare your leaves if you want to drink for a 2nd day?

I need some advice since I have a pretty rare (expensive) tea in the pot and I'd like to give it another shot tomorrow since it's not working for me now. (Expensive isn't always better I guess, but waste not want not, right?)

Feb 23rd, '13, 14:29

Re: How do you get the best re-steep?

by chado.my.teaway » Feb 23rd, '13, 14:29

I have heard that it is best to try to strain the leaves as much as possible between steepings. So, I spend time shaking the gaiwan until all of the drops are gone. Do you do the same? How is it important?
Its important. Tea gives water taste. Try it and you will understand. Take green tea. Interval(its a good word?) between brew its..1 min. So. 1st brew, interval 1min, 2nd brew. After 1st brew dont strain the leaves much, leave some water in gaiwan/teapot. And after 1 min brew tea again. And taste;p
I have also heard that when drinking a tea for the 2nd day, overnight you want the leaves to be damp, but as strained as possible. (seems like a contradiction)
Leaves are wet, and after few(maybe 8 ) hours begin to appear toxic compounds. In closed gaiwan faster. After 3/5 hours, leaves are only more oxidized.
I need some advice since I have a pretty rare (expensive) tea in the pot and I'd like to give it another shot tomorrow since it's not working for me now. (Expensive isn't always better I guess, but waste not want not, right?)
Have You some expensive tea?:D

Expensive isnt always better...but if you want really good tea, You have to pay;p

I hope you understand:)

Feb 23rd, '13, 14:43

Re: How do you get the best re-steep?

by edkrueger » Feb 23rd, '13, 14:43

I'd add water to prevent oxidization overnight.

+ Post Reply