Is Pu-Erh an acquired taste?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Sep 11th, '17, 07:57
Vendor Member

Re: Is Pu-Erh an acquired taste?

by jayinhk » Sep 11th, '17, 07:57

The first time I drank pu erh I was a child, and I thought it was good enough to keep drinking it!

And yes, milk tea is easier to accept for most people than pu erh, unless someone is lactose intolerant/vegan! :D

Jan 15th, '19, 23:56

Re: Is Pu-Erh an acquired taste?

by Ludovitche » Jan 15th, '19, 23:56

Don't force yourself...
But when you try, don't do like me and be a cheap charlie !
Do try good products from the start.
I threw away the first 2 teas that I bought : stanky ripe pu erh mini tuos belong in the trash.

Allow me to throw random ideas, not based on any science :roll:
And disclaimer : I'm the newest newbie around, I don't actually know much about tea - yet :!:

I tend to believe all tastes are acquired in some way.
I also believe you acquire not one taste at a time, but a series of compatible tastes at the same time, I'd call it a 'context' or a food 'framework'.

I mainly lived in 2 countries, France and Thailand.
The first time I tasted Durian fruit in Thailand, I hated it.
It's earthy, it's pungent, it's plain strange (like pu erh for some people).
After a few years eating Thai food, I tried again (a high quality one), and really liked it.

I didn't force myself to try it again and again until I like it : that usually doesn't work.
It just happened, one day.
For some people, it will never happen, and it's all right.

I think that living in a different context for years, my body and mind slowly learned to appreciate different things, a different 'food framework'.
In that Thai framework, Durian makes sense.
And I don't know why, I can't link a specific food to another... It's probably more complicated than that.

Mind you, Durian still smells bad, but somehow it's one of the most addictive fruits I know of.

I can't explain my own 'framework', even less link it to pu-erh tea...
But I noticed one thing : I always craved fermented stuff : pungent French cheeses, Chinese century eggs, Japonese natto, Korean fermented kimchi... Pu Erh is only the last in my collection :lol:

What do pu heads think of my theories ?

+ Post Reply