Giant Yixing Container

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jul 16th, '13, 18:43

Giant Yixing Container

by AllanK » Jul 16th, '13, 18:43

_DSC9960a.jpg
_DSC9960a.jpg (43.87 KiB) Viewed 2395 times
_DSC9957.jpg
_DSC9957.jpg (25.33 KiB) Viewed 2395 times
_DSC9960a.jpg
_DSC9960a.jpg (43.87 KiB) Viewed 2395 times
I just received by giant 13.5 by 16 inch Yixing Container for storing Puerh. I bought from Purepuer.com. It is great and will soon be filled. I am going to attempt to upload photos. They don't list this item on their website but if you email Larry I believe he has more. It is a huge container and the price was reasonable. It came in a box big enough for and old fashioned tube TV.

These photos may be small as I had to shrink them to less than 500 K to upload them.
Attachments
_DSC9950.jpg
_DSC9950.jpg (27.33 KiB) Viewed 2395 times

Jul 16th, '13, 18:59

Re: Giant Yixing Container

by mr mopu » Jul 16th, '13, 18:59

Wow! What was the cost on that one?

Jul 16th, '13, 21:24

by AllanK » Jul 16th, '13, 21:24

Only 395 plus shipping.

Jul 17th, '13, 09:00

by MEversbergII » Jul 17th, '13, 09:00

Yeah, that's pretty awesome! Not sure how I feel about storing various cakes in there together, though. I wonder questions about cross-"contamination" of odor, bacteria, etc. Also, what's the advantage of this being Yixing clay, specifically? That's a lot of clay. Probably wasn't pot grade, but I don't know what the draw is there.

M.

Jul 17th, '13, 17:15
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Jul 17th, '13, 17:15

Hey, congratulations on getting a large jar like that safely delivered! I had a couple I got a few years back, 3 that made it and one that didn't (but JB Weld to the rescue... it looks a bit frankensteinish, though).

They're definitely great for storage, and they look great, too. That's a very neat pattern on the one you have.

Jul 17th, '13, 18:02

by ole » Jul 17th, '13, 18:02

Very nice! I've been thinking about something similar.

Also been wondering about the possible issue of cross-contamination. Now mine is resting in cardboard boxes stacked on top of each other, probably not the best solution either.

Jul 17th, '13, 20:18

by AllanK » Jul 17th, '13, 20:18

ole wrote:Very nice! I've been thinking about something similar.

Also been wondering about the possible issue of cross-contamination. Now mine is resting in cardboard boxes stacked on top of each other, probably not the best solution either.

I suspect that the main problem is not cross contamination as none of my Puerh has been here long enough. Until I have a second, smaller container for Sheng Puerh I will have to store them together. I may decide to store only Shu, but for now it has some of both though. I keep the Puerh inside all in paper bags as well, not just to separate them, but open Puerh cakes will get all over the place. I don't want loose tea all over.

The paper bag idea comes from Larry at Purepuer.com who ships all of his tea in paper bags over their wrappers.

In the long run I am going to see if tea ages well in it. I am going to try an experiment. I bought six different Puerhs from China, two of each. One will be kept in the Yixing and stored, the others will be consumed. By the time I have used up the first six the second will hopefully have gotten better. I put in an order from pu-erhtea.com after someone on this forum said good things. They shipped from China, EMS, within 12 hours and I can already track them.

Jul 27th, '13, 00:25

by yalokinh » Jul 27th, '13, 00:25

That would be pretty cool for tong storage

Jul 27th, '13, 00:29

by Exempt » Jul 27th, '13, 00:29

yalokinh wrote:That would be pretty cool for tong storage
If you look around, sometimes you can find yixing jars made the exact size of a puerh tong

Jul 27th, '13, 00:39

by AllanK » Jul 27th, '13, 00:39

Exempt wrote:
If you look around, sometimes you can find yixing jars made the exact size of a puerh tong
Where have you seen one the size if a tong? I saw one on the web but the company in China won't ship because they are afraid of it breaking. I am looking to get two more Yixing containers about tong size.

Jul 27th, '13, 00:42

by Exempt » Jul 27th, '13, 00:42

AllanK wrote:
Exempt wrote:
Where have you seen one the size if a tong? I saw one on the web but the company in China won't ship because they are afraid of it breaking. I am looking to get two more Yixing containers about tong size.
I believe zhizheng used to sell them for a very reasonable price. I don't know about shipping though

Jul 27th, '13, 07:13

by AllanK » Jul 27th, '13, 07:13

Exempt wrote:
AllanK wrote:
Exempt wrote:
I believe zhizheng used to sell them for a very reasonable price. I don't know about shipping though
I had already emailed Zhezhang, he does not like to ship them because he has had problems with them breaking. I am thinking of buying another one of these in six months when I have the money.

Jul 27th, '13, 07:56
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Jul 27th, '13, 07:56

I can understand why... they are so large, they're hard to protect. The ones that I had safely delivered were protected with an incredible amount of padding -- including a thick (4") orange foam mat, not to mention all th eother padding, and the entire thing was encased in two sturdy blue bins that were turned to make a 'box,' and then strapped shut, and the whole thing in the box. Another thing that I think helped was that the interior was also stuffed (in this case, with another container!) but that helped give the walls a bit more sturdiness.

The one that broke in shipping barely had any protection... it really never had a chance. Worst, it created 'shrapnel' that really shredded up the teas that I had ordered with it. Very sad.

Jul 27th, '13, 16:22

by AllanK » Jul 27th, '13, 16:22

Drax wrote:I can understand why... they are so large, they're hard to protect. The ones that I had safely delivered were protected with an incredible amount of padding -- including a thick (4") orange foam mat, not to mention all th eother padding, and the entire thing was encased in two sturdy blue bins that were turned to make a 'box,' and then strapped shut, and the whole thing in the box. Another thing that I think helped was that the interior was also stuffed (in this case, with another container!) but that helped give the walls a bit more sturdiness.

The one that broke in shipping barely had any protection... it really never had a chance. Worst, it created 'shrapnel' that really shredded up the teas that I had ordered with it. Very sad.
This one was shipped in a big box, inside a bigger box, with enough white styrofoam to float a small boat. There was also lots of bubble wrap and other packaging. It came in a box that had previously held 36 teapot sets from Taiwan, that's the box it shipped in next to the Yixing container. The box was nearly half the size of a refrigerator. It is a great container.

+ Post Reply