Cigar humidor for Pu?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jul 27th, '13, 16:57

Cigar humidor for Pu?

by JD » Jul 27th, '13, 16:57

Just as the title says. I own a cigar humidor, a small one, that I used for a few months for cigars before I quit smoking and now it's just sitting there collecting dust. It's a good humidor with a window on top and made of very nice wood. Smells a bit like cigars but I thought I could transform it into a small pu-er humidor for aging pu. It has an electronic humidifier inside it that keeps track of the humidity instantly at all times.

Thoughts?

Jul 27th, '13, 17:00

Re: Cigar humidor for Pu?

by Exempt » Jul 27th, '13, 17:00

JD wrote:Just as the title says. I own a cigar humidor, a small one, that I used for a few months for cigars before I quit smoking and now it's just sitting there collecting dust. It's a good humidor with a window on top and made of very nice wood. Smells a bit like cigars but I thought I could transform it into a small pu-er humidor for aging pu. It has an electronic humidifier inside it that keeps track of the humidity instantly at all times.

Thoughts?
If it's lined with spanish cedar and smells like cigars then no.

Unless you like drinking cedar pulp and cigar tobacco

Jul 27th, '13, 17:46

by JD » Jul 27th, '13, 17:46

I guess I could use it for packaged/sealed tea storage or something. Hate to see it just sit in the closet.

Jul 27th, '13, 17:58

by Exempt » Jul 27th, '13, 17:58

JD wrote:I guess I could use it for packaged/sealed tea storage or something. Hate to see it just sit in the closet.
If I were you and looking for a way to store puerh, I would sell the humidor and invest in equipment just for your puerh

Jul 27th, '13, 20:19

by mr mopu » Jul 27th, '13, 20:19

Exempt wrote:
JD wrote:Just as the title says. I own a cigar humidor, a small one, that I used for a few months for cigars before I quit smoking and now it's just sitting there collecting dust. It's a good humidor with a window on top and made of very nice wood. Smells a bit like cigars but I thought I could transform it into a small pu-er humidor for aging pu. It has an electronic humidifier inside it that keeps track of the humidity instantly at all times.

Thoughts?
If it's lined with spanish cedar and smells like cigars then no.

Unless you like drinking cedar pulp and cigar tobacco
+1 no cedar for your tea.

Jul 27th, '13, 21:26
Scrolling: fixed

by TomVerlain » Jul 27th, '13, 21:26

Unless of course you are planning on smoking the sheng :lol:

Jul 27th, '13, 21:29

by Exempt » Jul 27th, '13, 21:29

TomVerlain wrote:Unless of course you are planning on smoking the sheng :lol:
Someone needs to try this. For science!!! :lol:

Jul 27th, '13, 22:48

by tingjunkie » Jul 27th, '13, 22:48

How big is it? I see no reason not to experiment with a couple average cakes.

Jul 27th, '13, 22:50

by Exempt » Jul 27th, '13, 22:50

tingjunkie wrote:How big is it? I see no reason not to experiment with a couple average cakes.
Have you smelled the inside of a cigar humidor before?

P.S. I don't mean this to sound demeaning, I'm actually wondering.
Last edited by Exempt on Jul 29th, '13, 12:13, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 27th, '13, 23:52

by JD » Jul 27th, '13, 23:52

Believe it or not you can smoke tea. I've done it myself. It's an alternative to smoking tobacco. Infact, a lot of the alternative tobacco-less or nicotine-less smokable leaves are tea leaves.

Jul 28th, '13, 00:12

by Exempt » Jul 28th, '13, 00:12

JD wrote:
Believe it or not you can smoke tea. I've done it myself. It's an alternative to smoking tobacco. Infact, a lot of the alternative tobacco-less or nicotine-less smokable leaves are tea leaves.
Really? I can't imagine rolling up some of my precious sheng and smoking it.

Jul 29th, '13, 11:39

by tenuki » Jul 29th, '13, 11:39

JD wrote:
TomVerlain wrote:_sm0k3_ tea
uh oh, I remember the last time someone posted those words....

Sep 4th, '18, 04:41

by Misila » Sep 4th, '18, 04:41

I apologize for bump this old thread, but I would like to share my experience in this matter, since when I was looking for good advice on this topic for myself
I am now on my third humidor - progressively getting better quality and bigger size as the collection grows. A 50 cigar humidor is a good starter. My advice is to really research it. Buying the cheapest humidor should not be the goal so much as buying the best one at a certain price point. Read reviews "
https://coolerexp.com/best-cigar-humidors-review/ a lot of them. As said previously, Spanish cedar lined humidors are mandatory, and a good fit. It should feel solid and the lid should fit snugly. I found that the floral foam humidifiers dry out too quickly for my environment. So I bought a great device by Deauville that has a reservoir for water and it feeds the foam over an extended period of time. It lasts for several weeks.
When you get your humidor, you will want to prep it prior to putting in all of your prized cigars. The cedar lining will be dry, and if you put cigars in it, it will extract all of the moisture out of the cigars. This prepping process is called peppering. You simply wipe down all of the cedar lined surfaces with water, and begin humidifying it. Wait a day or two until your hygrometer measures that there is a steady and consistent humidity of 65-70%. THEN, put your cigars in.
Lastly, I was instructed to use distilled water. Tap water is a dicey situation, particularly if you live somwhere with really hard water and a lot of minerals. Those flavors can be absorbed by the cigars. It may be overkill, but I always use distilled water. I buy it cheap for like a buck a gallon at the grocery store. Good luck!

Sep 11th, '18, 04:23

by 12Tea » Sep 11th, '18, 04:23

I don't see any issue with cigar humidors generally. Perhaps you've to clean and let it air out first.

Sep 19th, '18, 21:30

by teapotluck » Sep 19th, '18, 21:30

I bought two small humidors for tea as an experiment. I took some activated charcoal capsules, opened them and poured them into a little dish, and put this in one humidor. The other, I put baking soda, and let them absorb odors for two weeks. The charcoal did a much better job. I put a bing in the humidor last week. I'm going to try it soon.

JD wrote: Just as the title says. I own a cigar humidor, a small one, that I used for a few months for cigars before I quit smoking and now it's just sitting there collecting dust. It's a good humidor with a window on top and made of very nice wood. Smells a bit like cigars but I thought I could transform it into a small pu-er humidor for aging pu. It has an electronic humidifier inside it that keeps track of the humidity instantly at all times.

Thoughts?

+ Post Reply