Toasted pu'erh

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Sep 6th, '13, 01:15
Vendor Member

Re: Toasted pu'erh

by jayinhk » Sep 6th, '13, 01:15

I think I'll buy a similarly-shaped pot and stick it in a water bath on the stove on low heat. :)

Jul 2nd, '14, 21:47

by AllanK » Jul 2nd, '14, 21:47

I am tempted to buy a stove and kettle like those mentioned in this thread. But my question is, do they really make better tea than the water from an electric kettle?

I also now notice that these stoves are charcoal. I do not know if they are truly fire safe for indoor use?

Jul 2nd, '14, 22:10

by kyarazen » Jul 2nd, '14, 22:10

AllanK wrote:I am tempted to buy a stove and kettle like those mentioned in this thread. But my question is, do they really make better tea than the water from an electric kettle?

I also now notice that these stoves are charcoal. I do not know if they are truly fire safe for indoor use?
taste is different, so is the texture of the water

i've no experienced with using large amounts of charcoal indoors/enclosed environment, but it would be better for someone with the experience on this to advice you.

the purion is easily heated by a hot plate or a halogen based/infra red heater, with the latter being superior.

Jul 2nd, '14, 22:13

by AllanK » Jul 2nd, '14, 22:13

kyarazen wrote:
AllanK wrote:I am tempted to buy a stove and kettle like those mentioned in this thread. But my question is, do they really make better tea than the water from an electric kettle?

taste is different, so is the texture of the water

i've no experienced with using large amounts of charcoal indoors/enclosed environment, but it would be better for someone with the experience on this to advice you.

the purion is easily heated by a hot plate or a halogen based/infra red heater, with the latter being superior.
Where can you get one of these Purion kettles?

Jul 2nd, '14, 22:16

by kyarazen » Jul 2nd, '14, 22:16

lin's ceramics in taiwan. there might be distributors or agents in the states, but also a possibility of purchasing it directly.

if you dont use large amounts of water or would like to go CZ gf style you can consider also getting the purion "kyusu" that is 330ml. that can be easily heated by butane burner/fondue burner that you can easily get from amazon. learnt that from teaism and its such an elegant solution

AllanK wrote: taste is different, so is the texture of the water

Where can you get one of these Purion kettles?[/quote]

Jul 5th, '14, 22:26

by AllanK » Jul 5th, '14, 22:26

I emailed Lin's Ceramics. They still have not gotten back to me.

Nov 4th, '14, 23:37

by BioHorn » Nov 4th, '14, 23:37

If you have the time and inclination, chao zhao brewing is worth exploring. It is a totally different experience. To begin with, the water is quite different. You will notice a marked change, and it will most likely be for the better. Different kettles will greatly alter the flavor of the water. You may want to experiment with various clays to find what best suits your tastes.

I have the ChawangShop setup and am quite happy with the results. Another option would be a Senchado stove. Just google bofura and ryoro. I like the draw of the japanese ryoro a bit better than the chinese stove. Keep in mind, the chawang stove is a bit more compact.

Nov 5th, '14, 06:30

by bonescwa » Nov 5th, '14, 06:30

BioHorn wrote:

If you have the time and inclination, chao zhao brewing is worth exploring. It is a totally different experience. To begin with, the water is quite different. You will notice a marked change, and it will most likely be for the better. Different kettles will greatly alter the flavor of the water. You may want to experiment with various clays to find what best suits your tastes.

I have the ChawangShop setup and am quite happy with the results. Another option would be a Senchado stove. Just google bofura and ryoro. I like the draw of the japanese ryoro a bit better than the chinese stove. Keep in mind, the chawang stove is a bit more compact.
Is that pretty much an outdoor activity? Or is there a type of charcoal that you can use inside with a window open?

Nov 5th, '14, 23:43

by BioHorn » Nov 5th, '14, 23:43

bonescwa wrote:
BioHorn wrote:

Is that pretty much an outdoor activity? Or is there a type of charcoal that you can use inside with a window open?
There has been some previous discussion of this before. (My short answer is yes...) Not to get too off topic. This link should answer your question.
http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 4&p=178514

BTW
Stoves would be a great way to roast puerh. A houjicha roaster would probably work very well!

http://www.insight-tea.com/horoku-houji ... sting-pan/

+ Post Reply