If you don't drink it in one day ...

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Apr 1st, '14, 18:48

by PaddyB » Apr 1st, '14, 18:48

I like a good shou, and sometimes, if I start a brewing session in the afternoon, I can't finish it the same day. But the leaves are far from spent, still good for few infusions. So I often leave them overnight and finish the session the next day. But, in the morning the leaves are cold and the first cup turns out warmish and weak. So instead of steeping the first morning cup for few minutes, I just do a quick rinse to warm up the leaves again before it's good to continue.
I am curious, do you sometimes leave still good leaves for the next day or do you try to finish the session in the same day? Do you feel that leaving wet leaves sit around for few hours affects the taste or not?

Apr 1st, '14, 19:03

by bonescwa » Apr 1st, '14, 19:03

I let it go a couple of days if it's worth it. I do the same thing, rinse it to heat it up. It definitely effects the taste, sometimes for good, sometimes not.

Apr 1st, '14, 19:04

by mcrdotcom » Apr 1st, '14, 19:04

PaddyB wrote:I like a good shou, and sometimes, if I start a brewing session in the afternoon, I can't finish it the same day. But the leaves are far from spent, still good for few infusions. So I often leave them overnight and finish the session the next day. But, in the morning the leaves are cold and the first cup turns out warmish and weak. So instead of steeping the first morning cup for few minutes, I just do a quick rinse to warm up the leaves again before it's good to continue.
I am curious, do you sometimes leave still good leaves for the next day or do you try to finish the session in the same day? Do you feel that leaving wet leaves sit around for few hours affects the taste or not?
I do this regularly! I always rinse, to reinvigorate the leaves but also to be hygienic and safe! Usually works out nice for a tasty morning cup if I'm going to college :)

Apr 1st, '14, 19:10

Re: If you don't drink it in one day ...

by MIKE_B » Apr 1st, '14, 19:10

You might want to try the search function here.
This topic has been discussed many times.

Apr 2nd, '14, 01:54

by PaddyB » Apr 2nd, '14, 01:54

MIKE_B wrote:You might want to try the search function here.
This topic has been discussed many times.
Ooops... Of course. I didn't mean to litter around.

Apr 5th, '14, 01:14

by theredbaron » Apr 5th, '14, 01:14

it really depends on the climate you live in. If the climate is hot and steamy, overnight sessions may not be advisable due to mold.

May 9th, '14, 16:47

by hop_goblin » May 9th, '14, 16:47

I try to finish with each session, but like you , I will also resteep. There is nothing wrong with resteeping the leaves. You bought them, they are your leaves. At times, I only see a sutle change in shengpu. With shoupu, I rarely taste a difference. If drinking a warm and not steep bothers, you, discard it and make another. Simple as that.

+ Post Reply