Taste of Liu Bau

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

May 13th, '14, 19:28

Taste of Liu Bau

by AllanK » May 13th, '14, 19:28

I have bought a couple of Liu Baus recently and the ones I have tried, except a very expensive one all have an unusual flavor. I would describe the flavor as having a bamboo characteristic to it but I could be describing it improperly. It could also be described as a stale flavor. I am interested in opinions of those with more experience with Liu Bao. Is it due to the fact that Liu Bao is often stored in Bamboo? Is it due to improper storage? If it is the former it may dissipate. The Liu Bao that had this flavor much weaker was a 2013 tea and the stronger flavor was from a 2008 brick. I can be fairly sure of the storage conditions of the brick, it is from a very well respected Massachusetts tea store called Teatrekker.com. It should be noted that the most expensive tea, a Liu Bao from Fang's Gourmet Tea had none of this unpleasant flavor at all. What do Liu Bao experts think is the source of this somewhat undesirable flavor?

May 13th, '14, 21:58

Re: Taste of Liu Bau

by chrl42 » May 13th, '14, 21:58

Liu Bao is Guangxi province's specialty.

Pretty similar to Puerh Shu in terms of taste and seemingly made of the small leaf variety (correctly me if I'm wrong). But most of my opinions are reflected on San He Pai's, haven't had many Liu Bao other than 3-Crane :P

May 14th, '14, 16:17

by Evan Draper » May 14th, '14, 16:17

AllanK wrote:Is it due to the fact that Liu Bao is often stored in Bamboo?
That's my impression. It's aged in the bamboo baskets. I know Liu An is sometimes prepared with a bit of the bamboo basket included, so I imagine there's a similar thing going on there.

May 14th, '14, 20:34

by AllanK » May 14th, '14, 20:34

Evan Draper wrote:
AllanK wrote:Is it due to the fact that Liu Bao is often stored in Bamboo?
That's my impression. It's aged in the bamboo baskets. I know Liu An is sometimes prepared with a bit of the bamboo basket included, so I imagine there's a similar thing going on there.
I am actually hoping it is bamboo flavor, otherwise I have some tea that has been improperly aged.

May 15th, '14, 09:47

by Evan Draper » May 15th, '14, 09:47

AllanK wrote:I am actually hoping it is bamboo flavor, otherwise I have some tea that has been improperly aged.
The test of proper aging is if you like it :wink:

May 15th, '14, 22:29
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » May 15th, '14, 22:29

AllanK wrote:What do Liu Bao experts think is the source of this somewhat undesirable flavor?
Yes, bamboo basket and just the nature of the tea. IMO this is what all aged liu bao tastes like. :D If you don't like the taste it might not be for you! Alternatively there IS something wrong with your tea--impossible for me to tell without trying some!

+ Post Reply