Puer Price Movement 2014

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jun 4th, '14, 23:01

Puer Price Movement 2014

by Teaism » Jun 4th, '14, 23:01

Received this from a friend on the current price movement of Dayi tea:

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos ... 3289_o.jpg

Looks like what goes up must come down. It is quite interesting that the movement is so drastic in the short period of 3 months. Anyone have any info on the current Puer market price movement?

Cheers! :D

Jun 4th, '14, 23:34

Re: Puer Price Movement 2014

by shah82 » Jun 4th, '14, 23:34

The link isn't readable.

I have wondered who bought maocha and made tea, because many of the usual suspects who aren't factory makers did not make much tea this year.

Jun 4th, '14, 23:46

by joydivisi0n » Jun 4th, '14, 23:46

The link is readable to me. Click on the image to maximize it.

Jun 5th, '14, 00:08

by Puerlife » Jun 5th, '14, 00:08

+1 And to enlarge further, hold down Ctrl and use your scroll wheel (on a Windows machine).

Jun 5th, '14, 00:52

by shah82 » Jun 5th, '14, 00:52

Clicking on the image worked for me.

This is fairly interesting, most in particular, the absolute shellacking that the Dayi Yiwu series have taken.

On Donghe, some Dayi shu has had a pop up.

Jun 5th, '14, 08:05

by Bad Jedi » Jun 5th, '14, 08:05

Teaism wrote:Received this from a friend on the current price movement of Dayi tea:

Looks like what goes up must come down. It is quite interesting that the movement is so drastic in the short period of 3 months. Anyone have any info on the current Puer market price movement?
I've cross-checked randomly with friends of mine and looks like numbers in that list not that far from reality .
For example: "Hero and Fine Horse 1401" dropped by 36% and new version of 7542 1301 dropped by 25%. But prices for other big brands still intact. Moreover Xiaguan sales are up now by 10-15%, looks like collectors and those who investing in tea turning their heads in Xiaguan direction.

Jun 6th, '14, 04:48

by Teaism » Jun 6th, '14, 04:48

Bad Jedi wrote:
Teaism wrote:Received this from a friend on the current price movement of Dayi tea:

I've cross-checked randomly with friends of mine and looks like numbers in that list not that far from reality .
For example: "Hero and Fine Horse 1401" dropped by 36% and new version of 7542 1301 dropped by 25%. But prices for other big brands still intact. Moreover Xiaguan sales are up now by 10-15%, looks like collectors and those who investing in tea turning their heads in Xiaguan direction.
Any news on other tea price movement? I suspect the downhill price snowball is starting soon for other mass market Puer tea, perhaps this or next year. High quality artisan tea prices should be more resilient. Let's see how it goes...

Jun 6th, '14, 05:23

by apache » Jun 6th, '14, 05:23

Being an armchair general on this and living so far away from the theatre of 'pu war', I head from rumour saying the price drop was orchestrated by Dayi trying to put it's myriads of competitors out of business ...

There are simply not enough real pu drinkers to support this kind of price.

Jun 6th, '14, 07:56

by Bad Jedi » Jun 6th, '14, 07:56

Any news on other tea price movement? I suspect the downhill price snowball is starting soon for other mass market Puer tea, perhaps this or next year. High quality artisan tea prices should be more resilient. Let's see how it goes...

2014 high quality material in some palaces actually climbed up in comparison to 2013 but some stay stay on same level.

Definitely something is going on but to early make any conclusions.

Jun 6th, '14, 08:25
Vendor Member

by honza » Jun 6th, '14, 08:25

These Dayi prices and bubble of real price and market is one thing. But here are new crazy elements like Yulin company.
Dayi buy maocha cheap from their own gardens, really cheap and their market prices are high. By Dayi itself but most of these very crazy prices by Dayi dealers. Most of people who sell Dayi, they do this business just for make money. They are not tea lovers, most of them i know. Like my friends in Malaysia say, Dayi is the best easy way how to make money. Just buy, wait and sell ...
But these Yulin and some other similar new companies... they buy maocha really not cheap. In many places they pay double money than normal price in these villages...Buy taidi, buy gushu, all expensive. And they pay a lot!!! This is in my opinion interesting. Who is the real laoban and what money they wash in tea business... (Bad tea for crazy prices, really interesting to see their shops :mrgreen: ) If Yulin and these new silly kind companies will bankrot, then prices of good quality tea will go down. Is my opinion

Jun 6th, '14, 11:01

by Teaism » Jun 6th, '14, 11:01

honza wrote:They are not tea lovers, most of them i know. Like my friends in Malaysia say, Dayi is the best easy way how to make money. Just buy, wait and sell ...
There are many big groups playing with Dayi in Malaysia. I have visited a few shops full of Dayi there. Most buy for speculations. I have some friends there buying tea by truck loads (not joking) without knowing what they are getting. Liu Bao will be the next play as there warehouses loads of them waiting for the fish to swim in. I am there to survey the tea market quite often and will be there again next week for 2 weeks to visit all my tea friends and tea houses.

Anyway, it is good to see the prices are moving, sign of things to come.
I recall the 2007 collapse and these all looks too familiar. It will drag the prices of the good stuff down and these are the times to sweep up all the good tea at bargain prices. In 2008, buyers are spoilt for choices of all the good tea with bargain prices. It may not be as good this time but at least there are good chance to buy some good tea when it collapse. Let's see...

Jun 10th, '14, 22:59

by HifideliTea » Jun 10th, '14, 22:59

I am in KL this week, and happened to be at the Tropicana City Mall and they were hosting the Tea Expo that runs from June 6 to 15.
Met some of my tea merchants there, was told that prices have dropped slightly.
I did not hang around to sample the teas that was offered to me, neither did i have a drinking session and did not buy any teas, which is indeed rare for me.
I guess i am now enjoying pu erh teas more by drinking it rather than by buying it.

Jun 10th, '14, 23:02

by Teaism » Jun 10th, '14, 23:02

HifideliTea wrote:I am in KL this week, and happened to be at the Tropicana City Mall and they were hosting the Tea Expo that runs from June 6 to 15.
I did not hang around to sample the teas that was offered to me, neither did i have a drinking session and did not buy any teas, which is indeed rare for me.
I guess i am now enjoying pu erh teas more by drinking it rather than by buying it.

Hi HifideliTea,

Can you share the info on the Expo, e.g location etc.. I am driving up to Malaysia for 10 days to explore tea there and may be able to stop over to look around.

Jun 10th, '14, 23:08

by HifideliTea » Jun 10th, '14, 23:08

Hi Teaism,

http://www.mmr.my/

Hope this link helps. Enjoy.

Teaism wrote:
HifideliTea wrote:I am in KL this week, and happened to be at the Tropicana City Mall and they were hosting the Tea Expo that runs from June 6 to 15.

Hi HifideliTea,

Can you share the info on the Expo, e.g location etc.. I am driving up to Malaysia for 10 days to explore tea there and may be able to stop over to look around.

Jun 10th, '14, 23:15

by Teaism » Jun 10th, '14, 23:15

Hi HifideliTea,

Thank you very much! Have a great day.

+ Post Reply