Which Yixing Type best for Pu'er?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jun 22nd, '14, 07:26

Re: Which Yixing Type best for Pu'er?

by kyarazen » Jun 22nd, '14, 07:26

Tead Off wrote:
bagua7 wrote:For me:
Sheng: zhu ni, hong ni. Period. I don't want clays that erase/tone down anything.
Some of my best zini outperform the red, higher fired clay. Same pots also brew yancha and roasted TGY superbly.
not surprising :) as the properties of the pots are right they can be used interchangeably, regardless of which factory, or whether its not factory made either :lol:

a cool experiment would be whether one can tell the taste difference in the tea brewed in a qing shui ni, or zisha of the same firing, volume, shape, and different factories. blind fold that dude and feed him the tea. :lol: permutate a couple of times to improve the quality of the result

Jun 22nd, '14, 07:45

by chrl42 » Jun 22nd, '14, 07:45

I am not sure if someone can drink tea or not, but am pretty sure someone's definitely not 'zen'. :|

Jun 22nd, '14, 09:07

by kyarazen » Jun 22nd, '14, 09:07

chrl42 wrote:I am not sure if someone can drink tea or not, but am pretty sure someone's definitely not 'zen'. :|
if you would like to troll, please do so else where :)

Jun 22nd, '14, 09:32

by chrl42 » Jun 22nd, '14, 09:32

kyarazen wrote:
chrl42 wrote:I am not sure if someone can drink tea or not, but am pretty sure someone's definitely not 'zen'. :|
if you would like to troll, please do so else where :)
no, it's nothing. forget it, and let's have tea :)

Jun 22nd, '14, 10:06

by bonescwa » Jun 22nd, '14, 10:06

Only on a tea forum xD

Jun 22nd, '14, 10:30

by puyuan » Jun 22nd, '14, 10:30

kyarazen wrote:
Tead Off wrote:
Sheng: zhu ni, hong ni. Period. I don't want clays that erase/tone down anything.
Some of my best zini outperform the red, higher fired clay. Same pots also brew yancha and roasted TGY superbly.
not surprising :) as the properties of the pots are right they can be used interchangeably, regardless of which factory, or whether its not factory made either :lol:

a cool experiment would be whether one can tell the taste difference in the tea brewed in a qing shui ni, or zisha of the same firing, volume, shape, and different factories. blind fold that dude and feed him the tea. :lol: permutate a couple of times to improve the quality of the result
If the only major difference is the factory I highly doubt anyone would... Though sometimes different "zi" clays used to give me different results in my water tests (mineral water first, distilled second; 15 minutes each pot and 1 zisha kettle). I was afraid my kettle would be redundant with some of these pots, but luckily it was always distinct enough. I think it was lower fired than any of those, though.

Jun 22nd, '14, 10:31

by VanFersen » Jun 22nd, '14, 10:31

Shou puerh: jiangpo ni, aged duan ni and quality di cao qing. They enhance hidden notes that other clays miss completely.

Sheng: zhu ni, hong ni. Period. I don't want clays that erase/tone down anything. I love aggressive sheng, the more the merrier (I want to drink it with cinnabar from Huashan mountain). :twisted:
Thank you this was exactly the answer I was looking for. And also thanks to the others joining this conversation :)

Jun 22nd, '14, 11:52

by Tead Off » Jun 22nd, '14, 11:52

VanFersen wrote:

Shou puerh: jiangpo ni, aged duan ni and quality di cao qing. They enhance hidden notes that other clays miss completely.

Sheng: zhu ni, hong ni. Period. I don't want clays that erase/tone down anything. I love aggressive sheng, the more the merrier (I want to drink it with cinnabar from Huashan mountain). :twisted:
Thank you this was exactly the answer I was looking for. And also thanks to the others joining this conversation :)
Did I understand you correctly? You knew what the answer was when you posed the question?, because you said 'this was exactly the answer I was looking for'. :?:

Or, that answer fit with your ideas already even if that answer may not be true? :D

Jun 22nd, '14, 15:08

by kyarazen » Jun 22nd, '14, 15:08

puyuan wrote: If the only major difference is the factory I highly doubt anyone would... Though sometimes different "zi" clays used to give me different results in my water tests (mineral water first, distilled second; 15 minutes each pot and 1 zisha kettle). I was afraid my kettle would be redundant with some of these pots, but luckily it was always distinct enough. I think it was lower fired than any of those, though.
it can be possible to tell the difference if the pot is lower fired, or if its used to boil water (contact with water is much longer than steeping durations for tea).

but when the pot becomes higher fired, more glassy like, the tendency of it to have a clay scent (caused by leaching ions), is lesser, and the catalytic property of the clay also decreases, so it becomes more "glass like", so the tendency to affect the brew also decreases.

with continued usage, the surface porosity of the pot becomes blocked by tea stains, the outside becomes glossy, the inside becomes rather stained, that also further reduces the "effect" of the clay on the brew, and now you have a vessel that is "mature", possibly neutral to the brew. i had the fortune of receiving a couple of well seasoned/used pots and was able to compare the brewing to a similar pot of size,shape,material,firing of the same era.

not discounting the fact that it indeed can be possible for someone to discern and identify the taste of a brew from a particular pot if he has spent enough time with it. but without seeing the pot, nor having used it before, to be able the tell the clay type, era, factory type is just miraculously :lol:

Jun 22nd, '14, 21:29

by chrl42 » Jun 22nd, '14, 21:29

Let's see. Some of Japan-returned pots are stayed for almost 200 hundred years using..and they are porous just as the new ones. For an old pot collector, it's very normal to obtain pots used for decades.

Many teapot collectors own +100 pots, the possibility is one won't use the pot long enough for the stains to sit down to block the holes (even if someone's right)

For me the only one with porosity problem after using was a manganese doped clay and I still think it's due to my dirty usage (that pot has a too strange shape to use carefully)

Better possibility is, the quality of the pots someone have.....and my opinion is to rule out ANY pot that's born after early-80s.

Jun 22nd, '14, 21:49
Scrolling: scrolling

by the_economist » Jun 22nd, '14, 21:49

Wow I wouldn't dare to use a 200 year old pot without cleaning it out as much as I could.

Jun 22nd, '14, 21:59

by kyarazen » Jun 22nd, '14, 21:59

still trolling.

maybe people in beijing dont 养壶!, but that is unlikely they dont, except perhaps some that stay near ma lian dao.

so much so for a "zhuni" lover and going for the nice zhuni fire and yet into porosity :lol: :lol:

early ROC and before pots, especially glazes are lead doped. better stay away from them too. all the more from fake qings, god knows what they pot inside.

many excellent and expert tea merchants from taiwan i.e. origintea to those based in new york retail and use 80s pots themselves. so i've no idea what propaganda you are trying to assert here. stop trying to shoot modern ming-jias and others whom use recent clays or clays they collected since the 80s or earlier as well. total no regard for yixing and its culture, artists at all.
chrl42 wrote:Let's see. Some of Japan-returned pots are stayed for almost 200 hundred years using..and they are porous just as the new ones. For an old pot collector, it's very normal to obtain pots used for decades.

Many teapot collectors own +100 pots, the possibility is one won't use the pot long enough for the stains to sit down to block the holes (even if someone's right)

For me the only one with porosity problem after using was a manganese doped clay and I still think it's due to my dirty usage (that pot has a too strange shape to use carefully)

Better possibility is, the quality of the pots someone have.....and my opinion is to rule out ANY pot that's born after early-80s.

Jun 22nd, '14, 22:04

by chrl42 » Jun 22nd, '14, 22:04

kyarazen wrote:still trolling.

maybe people in beijing dont 养壶!, but that is unlikely they dont, except perhaps some that stay near ma lian dao.

so much so for a "zhuni" lover and going for the nice zhuni fire and yet into porosity :lol: :lol:

early ROC and before pots, especially glazes are lead doped. better stay away from them too. all the more from fake qings, god knows what they pot inside.

many excellent and expert tea merchants from taiwan i.e. origintea to those based in new york retail and use 80s pots themselves. so i've no idea what propaganda you are trying to assert here. stop trying to shoot modern ming-jias and others whom use recent clays or clays they collected since the 80s or earlier as well. total no regard for yixing and its culture, artists at all.
chrl42 wrote:Let's see. Some of Japan-returned pots are stayed for almost 200 hundred years using..and they are porous just as the new ones. For an old pot collector, it's very normal to obtain pots used for decades.

look, I don't wanna get a nerve..just read what you've wrote, you are not worth it.

Are you saying vintage Yixings are lead-doped?

Jun 25th, '14, 23:22

by tingjunkie » Jun 25th, '14, 23:22

Tead Off wrote:
VanFersen wrote:

Did I understand you correctly? You knew what the answer was when you posed the question?, because you said 'this was exactly the answer I was looking for'. :?:

Or, that answer fit with your ideas already even if that answer may not be true? :D
Bingo.

Jun 26th, '14, 05:06

by chrl42 » Jun 26th, '14, 05:06

For Sheng, I really love CR/old Qing Shui Ni and Di Cao Qing types to pair with, don't like chemical-doped clays.

For Shu, I like high-fired yet porous clays which don't hold foul odors because Shu is a kind of tea that could leave a pot with smell (no good). Late-80s~97 Factory-1 pots fit this category. :D

+ Post Reply