Puerh Storage and Construction Odors

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Aug 6th, '14, 19:35

Puerh Storage and Construction Odors

by AllanK » Aug 6th, '14, 19:35

I am right now wondering if much of me Puerh collection is in jeopardy from construction odor. My landlord is redoing the bathroom in my apartment and there was far more odor following today's demolition of the bathroom than I expected. I have opened as many windows as I can. The question is, will my Puerh be effected. The Puerh in my pumidor should be fine, but the rest? It is not stored right next to the worst of the odor but I have nowhere to move it to. I store it in plastic bags.

Aug 6th, '14, 20:09

Re: Puerh Storage and Construction Odors

by entropyembrace » Aug 6th, '14, 20:09

you might want to seal it up in ziplock freezer bags until the work is finished and the smells are gone to be on the safe side.

Aug 7th, '14, 12:40

by Puerlife » Aug 7th, '14, 12:40

I've recently started storing a lot of my tea in ziplock bags (and tongs in plastic wrap) because of the excessive humidity. Some of the more fragrant ones emit an aroma that comes right through the bag, which makes me wonder - if tea aroma gets out, what is getting in? Moisture? Odors?

Aug 7th, '14, 13:34

by Evan Draper » Aug 7th, '14, 13:34

As I hear it, typical plastic zip-lock bags are not completely impermeable. Gas and some volatiles CAN penetrate to some extent. I don't know about moisture. I imagine the odor from demolition is due to particulate matter, so you are probably safe without the bags. If there are smelly paints, solvents, or glues being used, I couldn't say how well the bags would protect things. A drop cloth to keep dust out would be a quick solution for now, and you might want to look through old threads to see what other people use for impermeable storage--food grade zip pouches, vacuum sealer bags, plastic crates, wood cabinets, mini refrigerators....

Aug 7th, '14, 14:27

by entropyembrace » Aug 7th, '14, 14:27

Evan Draper wrote:As I hear it, typical plastic zip-lock bags are not completely impermeable. Gas and some volatiles CAN penetrate to some extent. I don't know about moisture. I imagine the odor from demolition is due to particulate matter, so you are probably safe without the bags. If there are smelly paints, solvents, or glues being used, I couldn't say how well the bags would protect things. A drop cloth to keep dust out would be a quick solution for now, and you might want to look through old threads to see what other people use for impermeable storage--food grade zip pouches, vacuum sealer bags, plastic crates, wood cabinets, mini refrigerators....
I suggested freezer bags because they're less permeable than standard zip-lock bags. They're not 100% but they do an ok job of protecting food from freezer smells. You can double them up for more protection too.

It's better than leaving them in the open or with just a towel over them :?

Very little that's actually available is really 100% impermeable, everything you listed has some level of air exchange with the outside.

Aug 7th, '14, 16:01

by Evan Draper » Aug 7th, '14, 16:01

The OP says they're already in plastic bags.

+ Post Reply