My tuocha taste and smell fishy

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Dec 16th, '14, 12:36
Scrolling: scrolling

My tuocha taste and smell fishy

by LordCrichton » Dec 16th, '14, 12:36

I purchased the minin pu erh tuocha assortment from teavivre about a month ago .The tuocha smell and taste like fish i rinsed the tea with boiling water and threw it out(i read that this is something one should do to destroy the fishyness) and the tea still tastes fishy,could some one tell me what i am doing wrong? I heard that the mini tuocha are often of lower quality could someone tell me where i could order higher quality tuocha?

Dec 16th, '14, 12:49

Re: My tuocha taste and smell fishy

by NPE » Dec 16th, '14, 12:49

A known issue. This blog post http://www.white2tea.com/2013/11/09/wha ... -puer-tea/ will give you more insight into the reasons behind the taste... and from there you can navigate to the shop where you will find shu pu that should be waaaay better than the mini tuos that you have at the moment

Dec 16th, '14, 16:53

by wyardley » Dec 16th, '14, 16:53

The taste may recede over time, if the tea hasn't been rested long enough for the wodui taste to go away. You could try airing it out after breaking it up, running hot water over it for a bit while brewing, etc., but to be honest, you're better off ponying up the cash for some slightly better quality shu (which, while not as cheap as it used to be, tends to be pretty affordable).

Dec 17th, '14, 21:07
Scrolling: scrolling

by LordCrichton » Dec 17th, '14, 21:07

Thanks a lot you guys i will try doing all if this and let you know what happens.

Dec 20th, '14, 20:52

by AllanK » Dec 20th, '14, 20:52

I last case there is a technique for fishy puerh that is simple. Provided the fishy taste is the fermentation, rinse the tea four or so times then drink the next steep. You will have to experiment with each tea to see how many steeps to rinse the tea. Even earthy teas usually have their earthiness go away by the fifth steep. I don't personally use this technique but I do know it works as I often steep my tea eight or ten times and rarely will earthy taste last past the fourth or fifth steep.

+ Post Reply